• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Paper discs for coin separation?

TheGoldSovereign

I know this is almost a very silly thread, but just wondering if anyone else has thought of this and had a solution in the past.

For tubes of sovereigns, pre-capsule stage of sorting, I want to separate the coins from scratching against each other, and although this will be very minimal I just thought I could buy some 22mm paper discs from somewhere.

Any ideas? obviously i don't want to cut them myself!

Something like this, but unfortunately they are actually 35mm if you read the small print. https://www.ebadges.co.uk/product/paper-discs/?attribute_pa_size-mm=25mm

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

On 23/09/2018 at 14:13, kimchi said:

Why not just buy some (dirt cheap) acid-free tissue paper and cut it yourself? It's super thin but I think a treble folded piece would do. That's what I use to pad out the space at the top of tubes of silver bullion with.

Cutting myself 1000s of paper circles, hmm :D

On 23/09/2018 at 13:49, Goldhooked said:

There are these 25mm confetti discs.  Not sure if they would clog up the tube with the extra width?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123183712141

Went with these, hopefully they will fit in the tubes otherwise will need to get some 20mm ones :)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

7 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Cutting myself 1000s of paper circles, hmm :D

They don't need to be circles,  just a rough square that stops the coins rubbing together. Cut a sheet of paper into strips and then squares slightly smaller than the coin. Fold a few times for thickness (it's super thin stuff). I reckon you can do prepare it that way yourself for 50 Sovs in around ten minutes, cost of materials less than 50p. If you have 1000 Sovs just spread that huge workload over ten days, 20 minutes a day :P

3 minutes ago, kimchi said:

They don't need to be circles,  just a rough square that stops the coins rubbing together. Cut a sheet of paper into strips and then squares slightly smaller than the coin. Fold a few times for thickness (it's super thin stuff). I reckon you can do prepare it that way yourself for 50 Sovs in around ten minutes, cost of materials less than 50p. If you have 1000 Sovs just spread that huge workload over ten days, 20 minutes a day :P

Or... turn it into a "craft" exercise for the kids. Mine love cutting paper up... only problem is it might end up stuck to the table covered in PVA glue... but no ones perfect.

15 minutes ago, terakris said:

Or... turn it into a "craft" exercise for the kids. Mine love cutting paper up... only problem is it might end up stuck to the table covered in PVA glue... but no ones perfect.

Gave my daughter her first pair of scissors a few weeks ago and she gave my wife a lock of her hair for a present :)

The Gold Sovereign

1 hour ago, terakris said:

'Daddy, look, I made this golden dinosaur for you!' :o

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who needs to do something similar in the future I ended up using a 20mm was punch and A4 paper, worked a treat!

Now I can stop rubbing in tubes for high grade sovs :)

IMG_20181023_143842.thumb.jpg.13a6a7c66af4d705d3886ba9162e6d2f.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

Archived