• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Goldfever

Blake's 7

Woke up early this morning, bounced around YouTube for some mind numbing entertainment and landed on a Blake's 7 channel with the entire series.

Thoroughly enjoying this trip down memory lane but ohh those incredible sets and special effects ... lol ... No expense spared :lol:

I always liked the nihilistic theme of what could otherwise have been another brightly lit, cheaply built 70s BBC Sci fi show. I liked the cowardliness of Vila and the way everyone was really out for themselves - much more interesting than space heroes. 

Quite fancied Servalan too, who only passed away earlier this month. 

Paul Darrow has also been good in a few supporting comedy roles. 

Edited by Blockhead

Great series! I was a bit gutted though as, as a kid, I only first caught it in the episode when Blake left, was thoroughly confused after that (until he turned up towards the end - no spoilers!).

Far more than the sum of its parts (wonky sets etc), Avon and Servalan (who also of course appeared in Doctor Who - well the actress in a different role) were amazing...very sorry to hear she has passed away.

I may have to start a 'proper watch' from the beginning at long last now this has been brought up :)

Edited by kimchi

29 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Great series! I was a bit gutted though as, as a kid, I only first caught it in the episode when Blake left, was thoroughly confused after that (until he turned up towards the end - no spoilers!).

Far more than the sum of its parts (wonky sets etc), Avon and Servalan (who also of course appeared in Doctor Who - well the actress in a different role) were amazing...very sorry to hear she has passed away.

I may have to start a 'proper watch' from the beginning at long last now this has been brought up :)

Was rare to have a proper adult space drama from the BBC.  I don’t remember another?

The only other sci-fi of any note apart from Dr Who ( hit and miss in my opinion) was The Survivors and Day of the Triffids.

If anyone has any others to view I’d be more than happy to view again!

16 minutes ago, Tingles said:

Was rare to have a proper adult space drama from the BBC.  I don’t remember another?

The only other sci-fi of any note apart from Dr Who ( hit and miss in my opinion) was The Survivors and Day of the Triffids.

If anyone has any others to view I’d be more than happy to view again!

Doctor Who is usually deep esoteric stuff when viewed as an informed adult (the writers have almost always been occultists like Douglas Adams), I still watch it for that very reason. Prometheus (Ridley Scott) echoes a Pertwee serial quite deeply (also Troughton).

The Day of the Triffids was super too! Didn't that hang on an unresolved cliffhanger as well? Even though I didn't 'know' Blake part from a fleeting glance in the first episode I ever watched (and I don't think it was ever explained where he offed to - ?), I was super-excited to see him re-appear! Alas only for a few minutes as we got 'that' ending.

As 'just a kid' in the early 80s I very fondly remember The Adventure Game - well worth looking up the existing eps (alas not all) on Youtube. Also The Tomorrow People (creepy!) and then a few years later Chocky completely weirded me out!

12 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Doctor Who is usually deep esoteric stuff when viewed as an informed adult (the writers have almost always been occultists like Douglas Adams), I still watch it for that very reason. Prometheus (Ridley Scott) echoes a Pertwee serial quite deeply (also Troughton).

The Day of the Triffids was super too! Didn't that hang on an unresolved cliffhanger as well? Even though I didn't 'know' Blake part from a fleeting glance in the first episode I ever watched (and I don't think it was ever explained where he offed to - ?), I was super-excited to see him re-appear! Alas only for a few minutes as we got 'that' ending.

As 'just a kid' in the early 80s I very fondly remember The Adventure Game - well worth looking up the existing eps (alas not all) on Youtube. Also The Tomorrow People (creepy!) and then a few years later Chocky completely weirded me out!

Since my reply I’ve been delving into 80s Sci fi - yes I remember the Tomorrow People!!  Interesting what you say about the occult and Dr Who... and my two favourites were Pertwee and Baker - I guess that ages me!!!!  

The other brilliant sci fi drama which was more dystopian than sci fi was Edward Woodward’s 1990.  I would even recommending purchasing but most (all?) are on YT.  Quite chilling as I remember the 1970s... 3 day weeks, unions, power cuts etc.  I’m expecting the first couple of years of Brexit to be similar until it settles down.