• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Brits vs Gold Sovs

Kritika

Paper market determines the price of the physical market so they are interconnected. There are numismatic coins can retain their price even if the paper price drops. Mini contracts both in gold/silver for 1/10 size normal size contracts.

Futures contract can be rolled over to the next expiry date and they don't need to be closed provided maintaining margin requirements. I wanted the company I work for to hedge against the price of fuel and the GBP last year as major costs transportation and raw materials but unfortunately corporate does not allow hedging. Everyone working for this company this year received below inflation salary increases and I can see this trend continue next few years as well (something could have been avoided company locked in lower fuel prices and stronger GBP at the time).

My late father passed away last year left my inheritance in India INR (Indian rupee). Represents 40 years hard labour, sweat blood and tears and money locked in fixed deposits maturity dates that are years later. When the emerging markets crisis started to happen I hedge the total value inheritance and even though this year Indian Rupee lost 14% against USD but because of the hedge the wealth passed down the generation still maintained.

My goal preservation of wealth and purchasing power. May that wealth be in the form of GBP/INR/USD/property/shares/Gold or Silver.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drifted of topic somewhat.

Back to Brits Vs  Sovs stacking, it’s becoming more and more obvious to me anyway that Sovs have a massive liquidity advantage over Brits especially the 1oz Brits.

While everyone in the tread has been discussing paper Vs physical etc etc.... I’ve took myself off and done a small experiment. Not very scientific really, all, I did was try and count how meany Gold Brits 1oz & 1/2 oz were listed on a Ebay UK compared to how many Full Gold Sovs were listed in the same 48h period. 

Results, are in. 

Gold Brits - +/- less than 8

Full Gold Sovs - I honestly lost count, it got over 60 and I gave up as they were being listed faster and that I could keep track, and that was only Ebay UK. 🙄

But more importantly all the Sovs already on there due to end - all sold, without fail, not a single one failed to sell, which I did see happen with a 1oz Gold Brit on a BIN that finished after 24h with no sale.

So admittedly not very Scientific, but for me it demonstrated the  massive liquidity and trading volumes of Full Gold Sovs in the UK. 🇬🇧 

11 minutes ago, Kritika said:

Drifted of topic somewhat.

Back to Brits Vs  Sovs stacking, it’s becoming more and more obvious to me anyway that Sovs have a massive liquidity advantage over Brits especially the 1oz Brits.

While everyone in the tread has been discussing paper Vs physical etc etc.... I’ve took myself off and done a small experiment. Not very scientific really, all, I did was try and count how meany Gold Brits 1oz & 1/2 oz were listed on a Ebay UK compared to how many Full Gold Sovs were listed in the same 48h period. 

Results, are in. 

Gold Brits - +/- less than 8

Full Gold Sovs - I honestly lost count, it got over 60 and I gave up as they were being listed faster and that I could keep track, and that was only Ebay UK. 🙄

But more importantly all the Sovs already on there due to end - all sold, without fail, not a single one failed to sell, which I did see happen with a 1oz Gold Brit on a BIN that finished after 24h with no sale.

So admittedly not very Scientific, but for me it demonstrated the  massive liquidity and trading volumes of Full Gold Sovs in the UK. 🇬🇧 

Plus... far more liquid away from Britain compared to Britainnas.  I suspect you’ll be welcome in any bullion dealer or pawn broker from Albania to Zanzibar and all points in between.

8 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

my condolences.

I still think hedging a physical position via paper contracts is

probably not the best way to go.

@Kritika sorry for going off topic,

I vote sovereigns.

HH

Ha Ha, 😜, it’s geting pretty conclusive.

But I must admit with my eyesight it’s a real pain trying to see details and sometimes even the date on a Sov, compared to the lovely crisp clear “large”  text on a lovely big 1oz Gold Brit 👍

I'm just about to make my first purchase of some sovs :)  from Hatton Garden Metals.

After reading the advice some of you have given on the thread about going second hand and as close to spot I'm going for a couple of these

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/gold-sovereign

Has anyone else bought these from HGM before? Do you end up receiving reasonably decent coins or are they battered to f#c%?

I must admit I’ve never bought from them myself, but I think you need to walk in and collect them for that price, or the postage will push the price up etc. So If your going in to collect you can see the quality for yourself.

8 hours ago, QStack said:

I'm just about to make my first purchase of some sovs :)  from Hatton Garden Metals.

After reading the advice some of you have given on the thread about going second hand and as close to spot I'm going for a couple of these

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/gold-sovereign

Has anyone else bought these from HGM before? Do you end up receiving reasonably decent coins or are they battered to f#c%?

I've bought quite a few of the Best Buy second hand Sov's from HGM and never had a problem, posted photos of them in the 'today I received' thread, just search for my posts to see quality, I've been very happy with them all.

19 minutes ago, Goldfever said:

I've bought quite a few of the Best Buy second hand Sov's from HGM and never had a problem, posted photos of them in the 'today I received' thread, just search for my posts to see quality, I've been very happy with them all.

Thanks. Will have a search and check them out :) 

I just received a royal mint Sovereign Tube tube for my Sovs.

It is absolutely tiny,  compared to my full tube of 1oz Silver Britannia’s it’s like a tiny packet of Mints sitting next to a packet of Digestive Biscuits.😳

This picture I found in in thr net does not do it justice, it’s much smaller in rea life. 

31B2EDA6-D24F-4567-9B31-A5F8745E5E39.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Kritika said:

I just received a royal mint Sovereign Tube tube for my Sovs.

It is absolutely tiny,  compared to my full tube of 1oz Silver Britannia’s it’s like a tiny packet of Mints sitting next to a packet of Digestive Biscuits.😳

This picture I found in in thr net does not do it justice, it’s much smaller in rea life. 

Put the sovs in capsules first and then put those in a bigger tube.  A bit like putting socks down your underpants.  Makes everything seem that little bit bigger!

5 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

Put the sovs in capsules first and then put those in a bigger tube.  A bit like putting socks down your underpants.  Makes everything seem that little bit bigger!

A whole new meaning to the word “Stacking” 💰

So that’s it then, Brits Vs Sovs - survey over.

Sovs won hands down......wIth the only downside of stacking Sovs being you need really good eyesight, and a full tube of Sovs feels like a small pack of the worlds most expensive mints 

I hope you all  enjoyed that. 

@QStack I bought 4 full sovs from HGM last month when the spot price was around £930 and I bought them £221.40 each, they gave me these 3 in the picture plus one king George.

the ones in the pic are still in royal mint original packaging and even the George is in a pretty good condition.

IMG_4310.JPG

12 hours ago, Nick1368 said:

@QStack I bought 4 full sovs from HGM last month when the spot price was around £930 and I bought them £221.40 each, they gave me these 3 in the picture plus one king George.

the ones in the pic are still in royal mint original packaging and even the George is in a pretty good condition.

IMG_4310.JPG

Brilliant, now all you need is a tube  

36 minutes ago, Kritika said:

Brilliant, now all you need is a tube  

I actually wanted to ask you guys about this.

Obviously I keep all my coins in capsules but since these three are still in original Royal Mint packaging I haven't taken them out yet, I wonder whether I should leave them like this or open and put them in capsules? which is better? or does matter at all? 

On 21/09/2018 at 15:06, Nick1368 said:

I actually wanted to ask you guys about this.

Obviously I keep all my coins in capsules but since these three are still in original Royal Mint packaging I haven't taken them out yet, I wonder whether I should leave them like this or open and put them in capsules? which is better? or does matter at all? 

Oh come on please someone answer this fellows question,I would also like to know what is best.:unsure:

@Nick1368 In their original RM packaging they are as "mint" as they will ever get, so I'd just keep them as is. I know it's not as neat as having them all in uniform capsules in the stacking tubes 😄 but if you some day decide to sell, it might be beneficial to have them kept in the wrapper. 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Very interesting, but I think from-his perspective 1oz is the way to go because he has direct relationships with dealers and also the added benifit of a large following that he can always sell such high value coins to.

But if our survey above shows anything it’s actually the opposit In the real world,. The average stacker does not have the benefit of such outlets for high value coins. So when it’s time to sell, the lower value Sovs and frectiinals are a better option as they are simply far more liquid and affordable for the outlets we have access to.

Archived