• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Brits vs Gold Sovs

Kritika

Hi All

Just thought I would get everyone opinions on Gold Stacking.

If you were a new UK based stacker just starting out and more importantly you were only ever going to sell your coins back to a dealer such as Hatton's, at a later date such as 5 or10 yrs., then what would start to stack?

1oz Gold Britannia's - 2018 New (+/- 4.2% over spot)

1oz Gold Britannia's - 2013 - 2018 Second Hand (+/- 3.5% over spot)

Gold Sovereigns - 2018 New (+/- 5% over spot)

Gold Sovereigns - 2013 - 2018 Second Hand (+/- 4.75% over spot)

Gold Sovereigns - Any Date Second Hand (+/- 3.5% over spot)

Be interested to know how people would go about this?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, trozau said:

I would go with the Britannia. 9999 fine for the dates mentioned. Each is a full quarter Troy ounce of gold vs .2354 Troy ounce of gold for the Sovereign.

Fine gold content is all that counts so 24ct vs 22ct doesnt really matter.

1/4 vs .2354 doesnt matter either as the coin value is based on gold content so closest to spot is better.

Gold Sovereigns - Any Date Second Hand (+/- 3.5% over spot)

would be my selection.

I'd go sovs, the history behind them makes them more attractive and fun to me.

I have one  x 1 oz Britannia and to be honest I find it a bit boring, on the other hand I loooove my QBs.

however I don't mind an oriental border Britannia which is something I haven't bought yet, hopefully soon 😋

So far the second Hand sovereigns any date as close to Spoy seems to be winning. :) and its got to be the best way to go in my opinion if you live in the UK.

Interestingly enough there's not much in it monetary wise between new 2018 Sovs and the any date second hand Sovs if you shop around.

Its actually working out at +/- £1.74 ($2.27) per coin between the any dates and the new Sovs. But would I be wrong in thinking when it comes to liquidating individual coins it seems its probably best to go for the 2018 Sovs!

Or am I completely wrong in thinking that?

The Best Price you can get on Sovs or Brits, slowly build your stack and forget about it. Take your stack out every six months and see how much Gold you have accumulated, you will be surprised. I buy Silver Coins to flip and make my Gold Purchases a little bit Cheaper, works for me!  I Love Coins Me !!

I guess the key question is whether they offer any premium over spot when buying back either sovereigns or Britannias.

If there's no difference then you might as well go for the older sovereigns as the purchase premium is the same and the smaller investment per unit gives you more flexibility when buying and selling.

So its still the "Second Hans Sovs any date"....seems like that's the consensus anyway, mainly it seems due to the lower investment premiums when you want to liquidate etc.

Out of interest has anyone ever started with 1oz Gold Brits and moved over to Sovs or visa versa?

24 minutes ago, Kritika said:

So its still the "Second Hans Sovs any date"....seems like that's the consensus anyway, mainly it seems due to the lower investment premiums when you want to liquidate etc.

Out of interest has anyone ever started with 1oz Gold Brits and moved over to Sovs or visa versa?

Agree with second hand Sovs any date, with lowest price over spot. Although not 1 oz Britannia’s, I did start out with 1 oz Krugerrands, they have typically held the lowest price above spot for 1 oz of fine gold...and I have since focused primarily on Sovs.

59 minutes ago, Kritika said:

I had a 2017 1 oz Brit which I exchanged for Sovs.  The Brit is a great coin in terms of size and weight but it's a lot of money to have tied up with not that many buyers if you need to liquidate quickly. After exchanging into equivalent Sovs they are a lot easier to sell or exchange. e.g. 2 Sovs for a kilo of silver if you so desire. Much more flexibility in Sovs in my opinion unless you have big pockets and plenty of time.

3 minutes ago, Croatianstacker said:

I prefer the look of the britannia but i would choose the gold sovs because they have a great liquidity and those are fractional gold at a price close to spot wich is very nice.

You can sell 2 gold sovs (so nearly 1/2 ounce) but you can't cut your 1oz britannia in half, for me gold sovs are the best.

you can buy 1/10 britannia that are similar to 1/2 sovs

1/4oz brittania that are similar to a full sov.

1/2oz britannia similar to a double sov.

no cutting required :)

Sovereigns are easier to verify as real, a lot of dealers i trade with use vintage sovereign scales.

Edit* "alot" is an exaggeration, but a few do..and iv sold sovereigns to them that they have verified using them, had they have been brits im sure the testing block and acid would come out. 

I guess same result, but less destructive.

33 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

you can buy 1/10 britannia that are similar to 1/2 sovs

1/4oz brittania that are similar to a full sov.

1/2oz britannia similar to a double sov.

no cutting required :)

Remember there are quarter Sovs 🙂

Archived