• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How to best store silver

SilverGentleman

As the title suggests, I am wondering how to best store my silver, seeing as I haven't been stacking for long. I have some Dragon and Phoenix coins that sadly have taken on some milkspots and I would like to avoid similar things happening to other coins going forward.

Additionally I wanted to know if it really is necessary to take the coins out of the small plastic bags you get them in or you really should either store them in capsules or what not.

Cheers in advance!

The best and cheapest way I've found is to keep them in the coin flips they came in, and then put them in a Ziploc snack bag. These bags are smaller than sandwich bags, therefore they hold less air (and you should flatten out the air in the bags before sealing them). This is the product I'm talking about:

https://ziploc.com/en/products/bags/sandwich-and-snack/snack-bags

https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-snack-bags/-/A-15357042

(In the US, Target has the best price per bag that I found in a cursory search: 3 cents)

When you say the "small plastic bags you get them in", do you literally means bags, or flips? Flips are somewhat more rigid than bags, and critically, are open on one end and unsealable. In the US, I've only ever received flips in my orders, for both bars and coins.  If yours are resealable plastic bags, then you might already be set, though I'd still consider double-bagging them with Ziplocs or similar.

As BYB said, dessicant can't hurt, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I've thrown in the dessicant packs I've received in other random shipments, like clothing, or the ones that come in medicine bottles. I never buy any.

Milk spotting is poorly understood, and the Royal Canadian Mint has not divulged its solution to the problem. The most common threat to your silver will be sulfur-based tarnish from exposure to open air.

This question seems to come up every few weeks.  There are tons of you tube videos on the subject and here is the latest thread on this forum.  

I use air-tite brand capsules with tubes and an airtight ammo box.  Stuff I like to look at go in a display box (in capsules).  I do use silica packs and anti-tarnish strips.  Can't hurt right!

71L9LgMOPfL._SL1500_.jpg

Archived