• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello from London

QStack

Hi Guys,

Been toying with the idea of stacking for the last few years but financially wasn't the right time.

Now on the other hand im in a better place and Im finally going to take the plunge and get in to stacking. Youtube has been a big help learning about stacking and ive watched a LOT of videos by guys who i think are members here, backyardbullion and shadowstack ???

I think im going to start my stack buy just building a foundation of bullion coins (is the abbreviation for bullion BU??) both gold and silver.

My monthly budget is going to be around £500. Im going to buy Silver one month and then save for two months and buy an ounce of gold. I think this is an ok idea, happy to be advised otherwise.

Also am i better off buying my silver from european sites such as goldsilver.be than from the RM. Does it work out that much cheaper once you add in delivery and insurance?

Anyway guys, thanks for your time. And im looking forward to being part of the community and getting ahead of the other 99.9999999%.

QStack

Hi and welcome from another newbie!

Yes, ordering silver from Europe is definitely cheaper than ordering from the Royal Mint or from UK suppliers like bullion-to-go, usually significantly so. The shipping tends to be flat rate so it pays to order larger amounts. Goldsilver.be is well known for being the cheapest, but personally I've been really pleased with the service I've had from silver-to-go.com. Let us know if you have any questions!

3 hours ago, QStack said:

Hi @jcdenton,

Thanks for the advice. I might be better off saving for 2 or 3 months and buy a larger amount in one hit from GS.be

Will check out silver-to-go.com as well.

If you want pure cheap bullion Goldsilver may be the way to go, but @BackyardBullion has recently said The European Mint are often cheaper now on certain coins iirc (albeit it with a less expansive range). I've had very good customer service in the past from STG (something Goldsilver are somewhat notorious for 'neglecting') and their (STG's) sister company Coininvest I've heard is a bit cheaper. I'd also recommend Eldorado coins from my first order with them - excellent and prompt customer service and cheap postage from Europe (£8 last time) for a small order, which for a tracked parcel is only a little more than SD within the UK :)

How about a Sovereign or two for your 'gold months' from trusted sellers? Ounces are lovely but Sovs are so much more liquid and flexible if you might need cash suddenly, with a closer relation to the spot price. Older (numismatic) Sovs have such a depth and range, and there are some incredibly informed experts on here, but I haven't got to grips with that myself, so I have mostly bought recent bullion Sovs as new from the trusted big companies for peace of mind.

BU should mean 'brilliant uncirculated' but I've seen lots of people use it for bullion, so maybe a bit of a grey area in terms of communication/usage. If in any doubt when a coin is desribed just ask to clarify :)

Welcome @QStack!

That is a very nice budget to play with. I like your plan alot, but if it were me, I'd change to buying silver for 4 months then gold for 2, in six month cycles. But thats only because I prefer to stack silver, and that way I'd have loads!

Would be interested to hear about your progress in the coming months!

Hi  @StackerNoob

@kimchi had some ideas for me to look at. I've done a bit of research and i think i will buy some sovs or 1/4 oz coins to begin with. Think im leaning more to the 1/4 oz coins at the moment but will keep you updated.

P.S @kimchi - cheers for the tips

Archived