• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Returns to The Royal Mint

medgasguy

I have just recently received 2 coins from the mint that had scratched capsules and in the case of one does not seem to be the screw type capsule. I have e-mailed the mint and they have assured me that they would resolve it by sending the items back. My question is I see the return address in the e-mail and it says something like FREEPOST and then a series of letters above the address itself. Is this their version of free return postage back to the U.K.? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and insight. I am a first time customer of the Royal Mint so I am unaware how their return dept. works.

If the coins are good why can't they just send you new capsules? Cheaper for them and you don't risk that the replacements will be worse quality coins. The email sounds like a fairly standard response, I'd phone them and see if they can send out new caps.

Anything you do send back yes speak to them and agree that they will reimburse your postage if you provide proof of insured/tracked shipping. I still had to chase them up last time for the postage though even though it was agreed in advance to be refunded to my bank.

Yeah I just got off their live chat and customer service said to send both coins back in their original packaging and they will fix it. Also he said that they will re-imburse postage once I have sent it and can provide proof of postage paid back to the U.K. I live in the States.

51 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

freepost wont be tracked and insured I assume.

A scratched capsule can be fixed with a little toothpaste on a soft cloth and just polish it out.

Thank you for the suggestion I had never heard of that before, but I do use that Meguiar's PlastX polish on NGC and PCGS slabs and it works well.

2 minutes ago, medgasguy said:

Yeah I just got off their live chat and customer service said to send both coins back in their original packaging and they will fix it. Also he said that they will re-imburse postage once I have sent it and can provide proof of postage paid back to the U.K. I live in the States.

What coins are they? If they are high premium coins and very good examples I would hesitate to send the actual coins back and risk the replacements not being up to scratch...if it's a high demand coin/sold out/one with known quality issues (like the recent Piedfort, just one of many) especially.

I would ask them that they either send out replacement capsules, let you keep the coins (carefully in a flip) and just return the capsules, or consider putting up with the capsules or trying to buff them up as @mr-dead advised.

Yes I'm still deciding what to do as it's a long process to send back and then wait for replacements. They are the 2018 Piedfort Sovereign and George's 5th Birthday Sovereign. Both capsules have several scratches and the George coin is in a capsule I've never seen before. It does not unscrew and it also has a tiny little half moon cut-out on one side of the capsule. (Maybe an air-tite type of capsule, idk) I think they suspended sales of this sovereign to resolve some packaging issues, maybe changing the capsules was one of them.

25 minutes ago, medgasguy said:

Yes I'm still deciding what to do as it's a long process to send back and then wait for replacements. They are the 2018 Piedfort Sovereign and George's 5th Birthday Sovereign. Both capsules have several scratches and the George coin is in a capsule I've never seen before. It does not unscrew and it also has a tiny little half moon cut-out on one side of the capsule. (Maybe an air-tite type of capsule, idk) I think they suspended sales of this sovereign to resolve some packaging issues, maybe changing the capsules was one of them.

The Piedfort has had quality issues so if you have carefully examined the coin and are happy with it I'd keep the coin rather than risk a replacement - the coin is worth a lot more than the $5 or so to buy a replacement (official) capsule.

The George SotD - stupidly the Mint have switched to 'push to' capsules rather than the screw type for the last few SotDs. You can at least be thankful it didn't fall open in transit and damage the coin!

32 minutes ago, trozau said:

If the coins are NOT a problem, I second the suggestion of requesting BRM to send replacement capsules. Then just pick the better capsule (if they require sending back the replaced capsule/s).

I suspect they need something returned to replace it (just a hunch that that's how their process works) so it might be just the capsules, or it might be the coins in the caps (to 'prove' they came with the stated coins). I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter such are the ways of the Mint, but if coins are good I wouldn't be returning coins just to get good caps.

Personally I'd speak to them and see if they'd take photographic evidence of the caps as enough to send out replacements, my second choice (as above) would be just return the caps. This may be well above the standard customer service process but I'd try them, and then ask to speak to a manager if they could not at least agree to the second.

Also @medgasguy I would get that SotD George graded before an identical coin might be released for Charles' 70th birthday in November, otherwise the graders will never be willing to tell them apart, and these are not cheap coins. The SotD George is a bit of a risky investment imvho so unless you are rolling in money or particularly love/want the coin (all very valid!) I might even think about using the poor quality product received as reason for a full refund on that one...

9 minutes ago, medgasguy said:

Maybe for Charles 70th they'll come out with a plain edged sovereign with edge lettering or something to keep the sovereigns differentiated, who knows.

Hopefully they will, but last year there were two identical issues of SotD (Jubilee reign and wedding anniversary) that the grading companies won't identify/differentiate now unless they're sent to them in Mint sealed packaging. Wouldn't run the risk myself for ÂŁ500 odd for approx 1/4 ounce of gold.

Great point, but I'm happy to leave it in it's original mint packaging for now. Thank you for the info on the push type capsules- I hadn't heard that but it sure is good to know. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards not sending them back just for capsules although I'd love to know where you can get brand new official mint capsules for sovereigns. I'd buy a few of them.

9 minutes ago, medgasguy said:

I'd love to know where you can get brand new official mint capsules for sovereigns. I'd buy a few of them.

On ebay or (much better) on here.

6 minutes ago, medgasguy said:

I really need to find out how much it would cost to ship it back safely to the Royal Mint. Then at least both coins would be sealed and could go straight to NGC for grading. I joined up over there just so I could get submission privileges.

You don't need Mint sealed for the Piedfort, there won't be an identical coin this year. And you don't need it for the George before November (assuming they release a SotD - very likely imho - for Charles). They may have learned their lesson from last year and make them differentiated - I wouldn't risk it myself.

If your George is a pristine example (use a loupe at 5x plus) I wouldn't risk sending it back and getting a worse replacement for the sake of a capsule, but we all have different priorities :)

4 hours ago, medgasguy said:

As far as I know, they replaced the screw capsule with click fit capsules, they are actually selling them on their website, I bought the 2018 ÂŁ5 gold sov and it had one of those cheap click capsules rather than the screw type, anything to save a poule of pence, they actually advertise them as "scratch-proof" I prefer the screw type, easier to open with less chance of the coin flicking out like when you open the click type. Having said all that I have returned a few coins to them without any problems. I hope everything goes ok for you.

7 hours ago, medgasguy said:

Thank you @Xander I also was wondering what the time limit is for returning an item to the mint? I am leaning towards not returning b/c the coins look good to me. It just looks to me that the scratches are just on the capsules.

If the coins are ok and you're happy with them, You could always email and ask them to send you a couple of capsules...gratis.

Have they ever done that for anyone? I see ads on eBay for them but gee whiz 9 or 10 pounds for one capsule? I have also seen the capsules on the mint's website for their capsules for sovereigns also. On my next order I think I'll pick up a pack.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived