• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying gold in the UK

scubajunky

13 minutes ago, silverbeaker said:

Sorry to be a buzzkill but i come to this forum to learn about coins, lean on much more experienced members for advice and possibly pick up some gold bargains. I dont come to listen to nonsensical flat earth arguments. Right rant over, please can we get back on topic now.

Back on topic.

It is possible to get gold from Europe at comparable rates. You can get 5 Krugerrands from GS.be right now for £952.41 each (including delivery) which is comparable to other dealers out there. 

Depending on what the value of currencies are doing at any given time it is possible for it to be cheaper than the UK - I noticed about 3/4 weeks ago it was cheaper to buy the cheapest gold from Europe (only if you bought €5000+ for free shipping though). 

Food for thought anyway.

Kruger.thumb.jpg.c34fb9fbad1aa2670984450ed80fa489.jpg1530703902_Krugerexch.thumb.jpg.f9bb80c84f35f633983b9231bf0371a5.jpg

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheapest 1oz Britannia 2018 I can find in the UK £958.09 (but have to buy 150+ get this price, maybe BYB can do a group order 😀)

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/gold-1oz-britannia-2018

Possible using my broker account (Interactive Brokers) to transfer funds (deposit & withdraw) in other currencies twice a month without incurring any admin charges

image.png.b56fbf45a21cd78a5a5718bf6d23ff31.pngimage.png.3c807c7c56ecb7fb9bbe1a78a2a3bfea.png

I can convert currency in my broker account at the current spot Forex rate

image.thumb.png.3350b5788e215a508bbc7d39385f088d.png

1 EURO = 0.8955 GBP

Done the maths and GBP 1.0002735 = EURO 1.117

1oz Britannia 2018 from Gold Silber.be Euro 1065.39

https://goldsilver.be/en/gold/1635-gold-1-oz-gold-britannia-2018.html

Purchase 1oz Britannia 2018 from Gold Silber.be £953.

If you can convert GBP to Euro at the Forex rate and without incurring a transfer/admin charge then purchasing gold from Europe is the way to go.

Latest price GOLD in GBP https://uk.tradingview.com/symbols/XAUGBP/

image.png.44d95ade324e53d48781c38b331d7de1.png

Paying £26 over spot. I think done the maths correctly. I believe this would represent the cheapest method to purchase gold?

10 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

Right ok let’s forget about the rail gun and lighthouses ill admit i dont know enough about the rail gun seen a video of it getting tested a few years ago and looked to me as if it was shooting in a straight line.

Got two more for you then and these are things ive used seen with my own eyes. I own a tiling company and we install floors in various supermarkets/shopping centres all over the uk and still to this day we use water levels because its the most accurate tool for the job over large distances, how can that be if water can be manipulated by gravity? Water always finds its level.

second one i can got to literally thousands of beachs all over the world and see people over large bodys of water when they should be hidden by curvature? Again how is this possible are you going to say its a mirage.

science must be repeatable testable and observable so show me a test that i can do to make water stick to a spinning ball and show me actual measurable curvature and i will change my opinion 

I would do, but frankly I'm too busy laughing.

13 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

Right ok let’s forget about the rail gun and lighthouses ill admit i dont know enough about the rail gun seen a video of it getting tested a few years ago and looked to me as if it was shooting in a straight line.

Got two more for you then and these are things ive used seen with my own eyes. I own a tiling company and we install floors in various supermarkets/shopping centres all over the uk and still to this day we use water levels because its the most accurate tool for the job over large distances, how can that be if water can be manipulated by gravity? Water always finds its level.

second one i can got to literally thousands of beachs all over the world and see people over large bodys of water when they should be hidden by curvature? Again how is this possible are you going to say its a mirage.

science must be repeatable testable and observable so show me a test that i can do to make water stick to a spinning ball and show me actual measurable curvature and i will change my opinion 

Sorry for offtopic dear mods but this is too interesting, maybe we should split this thread 😉 

Water always finds its level just *because* of gravity. I don’t fully understand the question or problem. Obviously whatever floor you have installed in your life will not be big enough to be impacted visually or functionally by the curvature of the earth... but sure, if you were to lay 50 miles of tiles and each individual one of them is level, if you were able to “zoom out” you would see that it’s in fact curved. Every tile can be perfectly level, but it’s only level perpendicular to the earth’s center of gravity. The first and last tile you lay will not be positioned the same way compared to each other. A bacteria walking around on a balloon is also not aware that it’s on a spherical object.

Regarding the beaches, next time you go to the beach, bring your binoculars. On clear days, look at the ships in the distance. Notice that the ones further away from you are obscured more at the bottom and look like they are half under water; curvature. The other way around also works; sail away on a boat and keep looking at the beach. If there are mountains/hills near the beach, there will be a point where you won’t see the beach anymore, just water and the mountains right on the horizon. Given clear skies and good atmospheric visibility, there’s a point where you will see just the peak of the mountain over the horizon. Again: curvature.

Nobody will be able to show you water sticking to a spinning ball. On earth, anyway, since you will have to compete with the earth’s gravitational field. If you were up in space and have a ball with adequate mass, water should “stick” to it, though it’s actually just attracted to it, but that’s semantics. Of course, if you were up in space, you could just as well turn around and look at earth being all round anyway :D 

All of the science and experiments proving this really is repeatable and testable, but I think the problem is more that flat earthers don’t WANT to see it (and to this day I don’t understand why). Science isn’t a dogmatic belief, and there surely are wrong theories in various scientific fields that will be retracted, corrected or adjusted in the future, critical thinking and further research will ensure that. But the earth being round is not one of them. The scientific community has moved past that uncertainty, and you should too.

Tl;dr a flat earth is absolute nonsense, sorry

i really want to start this post with saying 'My 2 cents', because its a silver forum... and coins.. and... and..
nevermind.

I am a hacker by trade. I see things that would make some sci fi movies look like ancient documentaries. I am already fully aware of the many forms of 'Truth'.

I do not believe we landed on the moon. I do however believe we have been into space many times.
i'd love to start a debate on ancient humans and aliens but thats something else.

point im making... the Earth is not flat. nor is it perfectly spherical. It is the later of these two that causes obfuscation to the theorists. 
Mathematically, the Earth is round. With a pen and paper you can quickly confirm its round. With some serious math, you can throw all flat earth ideas out the window. I've been very open minded due to other beliefs i have. But flat earth just simply does not work. Re-draw the earth as flat, and then factor in the range of any aircraft on its usual flght path. it doesnt add up. one example.

anyway...

make a new thread someone.

16 minutes ago, Pritchard said:

i'd love to start a debate on ancient humans and aliens but thats something else.

What are your views on Sumerian text and the Biblical translations of Mauro Biglino? That we are genetically modified creatures. Modified by the Anunnaki?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

8 hours ago, sixgun said:

What are your views on Sumerian text and the Biblical translations of Mauro Biglino? That we are genetically modified creatures. Modified by the Anunnaki?

This definitely calls for a dedicated thread!

If you want 1/10 ounce gold coins then getting them via the group order from goldsilver.be is an option - especially if you’re happy to not worry about the full £6 insured postage for the odd coin.

Ironically, it’s evidence from the lunar rocks the Apollo missions collected that helps explain why there’s so much gold in the crust. It arrived by meteorite after most of the Earth’s original gold reserves sank to the core while the planet was molten. Enough gold in the core to cover the planet’s surface more than a foot deep - that’s a lot of ounces!

2 hours ago, RoughDog said:

Who is the original author?

The Sumerians wrote on clay tablets and there are over a million of  these. Biglino worked for the Vatican as a translator. They had him translating the Bible. He translated Old Hebrew. He translates literally - he says a lot of the Old Testament is mistranslated by the time it gets to King James. i have read one of his books http://www.mindofthemachine.com/downloads/MauroBiglino_Book.pdf

He gives the translation and then gives you context and interpretation - it is pretty interesting stuff - investigation of Sumerian text and ancient history tells us these people knew stuff they could not know based on their technology - so they had more advanced technology and or they were getting help. They say it was the Annunaki.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

15 hours ago, Pritchard said:

I do not believe we landed on the moon. I do however believe we have been into space many times.

That's up to you and some people don't believe in Santa Clause.
How do you explain the retroreflectors placed on the surface of the moon pointed at Earth that scientists use 24/7 with laser rangefinders to monitor continental shift and the height of mountains back here ?

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

How do you explain the retroreflectors placed on the surface of the moon pointed at Earth that scientists use 24/7 with laser rangefinders to monitor continental shift and the height of mountains back here ?

I believed lance Armstrong was clean. I’ve been a very cynical person since. Believe they got to the moon but think lot of pictures are fake

Can of worms this thread ! 

"Your comment shows you do not understand the meaning of scientific theory, and makes me sad about the state of education system.( BRAINWASHING)  If you wish to disprove gravity, go right ahead with a long walk off a short pier."

Buoyancy ,I'm denser than air so I fall, does not make it gravity or a special force.

They have never been to the moon, it's clearly a lie, ( Watch Astronauts gone wild / with an open mind.) the only picture of the Earth is from the Apollo missions, all the other images are Computer Generated Images by NASA's own admission. 

Curvature in not proven , engineers do not take into consideration curvature when building for example the Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway. The bridge, which opened in June 2011, spans 102.4 miles and is flat.

The Nile is 6,853 km long, does water flow uphill ?

I laughed my head off when I first heard the whole flat earth stuff, but if you have an open mind and do some digging there are lots of things which do not add up.

Now shall we get back on topic.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

How do you explain the mars rovers? There is no requirement for man to have landed on the moon to place a retroreflector. 

"How do you explain the retroreflectors placed on the surface of the moon pointed at Earth that scientists use 24/7 with laser rangefinders to monitor continental shift and the height of mountains back here ? "

How do you know that's not just another story they tell us ? Do you know that the moon is 238,000 miles from the Earth and since the Apollo Missions man has never been more than 400km from the surface of the earth. Sound right to you?

19 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

That's what happens when you go metric. As soon as we're out of the EU we'll be able to go back to the moon.

I mean, saying we haven't sent people further than 400km from Earth since the space race is basically the same as saying we haven't gone back to the moon.

We can get to a microgravity environment just fine in low earth orbit. There's literally no point sending humans to a higher orbit just for the sake of it. All you'd do is make resupply missions more expensive and less efficient.

Quick aside on the Earth's curvature. It's worth bearing in mind just how far away the horizon is.

From basic geometry the horizon distance (x) for a given elevation (e) is given by the following:

IMG_20180904_102829524.thumb.jpg.bf6fc47da53e6ff3351f374f4609d76e.jpg

So for an elevation above sea level of half a meter this is about one and a half miles. For a typical adult's height, standing at sea level, the horizon is more like three miles away. Stand on top of a moderate sized hill (say, elevation of 1,000 meters) and the horizon is seventy miles away. This doesn't factor in the height of objects beyond the horizon. So form the top of our theoretical hill you could, through line-of-sight, see the top of a similar hill 140 miles away.

Swimmers in the sea is not a great example to look at unless we're talking about someone crossing the channel perhaps?

On 04/09/2018 at 10:42, PansPurse said:

Quick aside on the Earth's curvature. It's worth bearing in mind just how far away the horizon is.

From basic geometry the horizon distance (x) for a given elevation (e) is given by the following:

IMG_20180904_102829524.thumb.jpg.bf6fc47da53e6ff3351f374f4609d76e.jpg

So for an elevation above sea level of half a meter this is about one and a half miles. For a typical adult's height, standing at sea level, the horizon is more like three miles away. Stand on top of a moderate sized hill (say, elevation of 1,000 meters) and the horizon is seventy miles away. This doesn't factor in the height of objects beyond the horizon. So form the top of our theoretical hill you could, through line-of-sight, see the top of a similar hill 140 miles away.

Swimmers in the sea is not a great example to look at unless we're talking about someone crossing the channel perhaps?

This is an excellent video explainin the principles you mention.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Archived