• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Age of a stacker

Kieran95

I am off for a week next week, think I will dig it out of the Diamond Vault, as with Coins I just collected Stamps that I liked. I am not really bothered about value, would be nice though if some stamp expert spotted something. The Album has been looked at by my Daughter, who is interested, so will pass this on me thinks. I Used To Love Stamps Me !!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kman said:

Id guess active in the internet communities it's mostly about 25-34, I'm in my early 30s 

People going to coin fairs though seems to be an older crowd 

It's very much a male hobby on the whole

Never been to a coin fair yet though I've heard you get less bang for your buck? I guess the older generation are more inclined to pay a little more?

3 minutes ago, TerryGriffiths said:

43 and counting, I have been stacking for 4 years now as an alternative way of saving. Wish I could do back to the time when Gordon Brown sold off all our gold. At £300 an oz I would have loaded up big time on sovereigns.

I wonder if the Tories could ask if Mr Carney has any golden maples? 😛

27 minutes ago, GrahamDiamond said:

I am off for a week next week, think I will dig it out of the Diamond Vault, as with Coins I just collected Stamps that I liked. I am not really bothered about value, would be nice though if some stamp expert spotted something. The Album has been looked at by my Daughter, who is interested, so will pass this on me thinks. I Used To Love Stamps Me !!!!

No love these days for stamps anymore Mr Diamond? :o

I bought a very nice (tiny!) fractional Penny Black commemorative coin (white gold with pearl black finish) and (original) stamp boxed set from @arshimo2012, I love it! I think mintage is only a few hundred. It might make an interesting video as I think it's rather unique, happy to lend it out if any Youtubers are interested (@BackyardBullion?)

It's something quite special I think - not worth a fortune (the Penny Blacks, unless an amazing example, are more common than I thought) but something very 'different'. I know my friend @Oystonout likes it almost as much as I do :)

I was a bit of a late starter only really discovered investing at 24, before then I just saved in cash thinking it was the safest way to save. Soon discovered sound money, started stacking gold and silver at 25. Sold most of it to fund house deposit post Brexit sterling/house price devaluation or gold price rise whichever way you want to look at it. I am 30 now stack 2 is just getting off the ground.

The silver price today is ridiculous, an absolutely perfect time to start for anyone on the fence, even just a few ounces! :)

I showed my friend a Panda and told him it was pure silver, asked him to guess the price - he said £100. Under £12 spot price an ounce is just crazy!

4 minutes ago, kimchi said:

The silver price today is ridiculous, an absolutely perfect time to start for anyone on the fence, even just a few ounces! :)

I showed my friend a Panda and told him it was pure silver, asked him to guess the price - he said £100. Under £12 spot price an ounce is just crazy!

That's probably part of the issue with the silver price as well as gold being seen as everyones goto. Silver gets overlooked and as a result you have misinformation or lack of information they think why have silver when I could have gold? Well silver is used to hedge against inflation why put £500-£1000 in investments when you can have a nice little collection to oggle and fondle for less than £20 per bar/coin?

2 hours ago, kimchi said:

Early 40s, got a 'calling' to stack/collect in June 2016 which I didn't listen to (always trust your instinct!) and started later that year - of course it turned out that day in June was a relative low for bullion price, and when I finally got around to it it was a relative high, should have listened to myself! Nevermind, I am well 'in the game' now :)

I'd have thought most on here are 30+, and the 'coin show crowd' as others have said would likely be more affluent middle class and older/hobbyists in general.

Anyone who is starting now in their 20s or earlier is in an incredible position for the future imho :)

That was my thinking glad to have started at an age many whish they could have 

55, that's why I keep forgetting where to post stuff.  Been collecting for about two and a half years, initially numismatics really but seems to be more PMs now.  See it as a hobby and an alternative investment to AVCs. 

36 minutes ago, Kieran95 said:

I did stamps for a bit in school a question for you two, are these the red penny's that are worth a little something? 

15356492795231592968247.jpg

Don't think so mate (but have a look yourself on stamp forums if no-one can answer here). A quick pic posted and you should have some idea. I was very surprised to find out my Penny Black was only worth a few quid (maybe £10/15+) you need certain borders/stamping etc iirc for a perfect example, and those are worth loads, and they exist for the Penny Red too. Take a look though, maybe Penny Reds are rarer, and the one you have a good example :)

I just love the pearl black finish gold tiny fractional. I bought it on impulse and it's probably not a bad price for such a small piece but again it comes with the stamp in a presentation box. It's one of my favourite items just for what it is, with the coin design matching the stamp, lovely item :)

Wrong side of 30 only started stacking one month ago. Silver getting very close to it 5 year low $13.70 start 2016. Have go back July 2009 see $.13.70 prices. I am surprised at how fast gold and silver prices have fallen recently.

I initially started when I was quite young - 18/19. I didn't take it too seriously though and never really learned enough to actually know what I was doing. I did it for a couple of years and then moved on to other things in life - focused on work, bought property, etc. I'm now 34 and have got back in to it. I don't regret walking away from it 14 or 15 years ago because I invested money elsewhere.

Im late 20s -  only got into it this year - I’ve wanted to for a good few years and always kept an eye on the price. No regrets not getting in sooner as got into PMs to diversify a growing property portfolio. Dont want all my eggs in one basket so cant hurt to have one or two gold/silver eggs!

Archived