• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1g gold bars

Blockhead

I'm wondering about whether it's worth me getting the 1g gold bars you can buy - either second hand authenticated loose in a plastic bag, or sealed in original cards. Pamp bars I like in particular and they seem to command quite a premium in silver and gold guises, looking at ebay sales. 

I want to get a bit of gold each month but my budget can't really stretch to a sovereign, or a half, or a tenth of an ounce (at least temporarily - for the next year as far as I can foresee). I know that in price per gram terms 1g is going to be poor, but some of the carded bars seem desirable due to their brand and bar and packaging designs, which seem to maintain or appreciate value (even if only a little) when I come to sell. Some sellers are on a budget too and want to get in on gold.  

I could save for a few months to buy a quarter or half sovereign, and I'm aware that to authenticate bars they often have to be removed from their packaging, so I'm wondering if its worth considering - even if there are other options out there, is it still a good one? 

I also like to get my 'fix' regularly but that might not always work in my favour... 

I got quite a cheap deal on a 1g IGR bar on a necklace which also came with a 1/25th oz gold coin and some other random gold brooch thing. Only bought it because it was such a low price (although I need to find out if the brooch is real gold as not convinced).  I wouldn’t bother otherwise and just grab sovereigns when I can.

Premiums are high on buying 1g bars but they are high on selling also.    If that’s the way you want to go buy them, I’ve Gove a small collection and they are nice to look at carded.    Regularly used to get £10 vouchers on eBay so picked them all up below spot.   Lot of fakes on eBay so watch for them. Not sure how close you are to HGM or alike but if you can buy without the shipping will sale a high % of price.   Good luck and look out for fakes especially pamp  

When I started - I couldnt afford much either - so I bought small "scrap gold" lots off ebay from sellers with good reviews etc - between £10-£40 a go. Overtime I amassed a fair bit of 9-18K scrap - luckily I traded the lot in for half sovs at a scrap dealers once i had enough. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I agree - start with what you can get at a good price. I started by rendering down old electronics and keeping the gold bits. The stuff from the 80s had good amounts of gold components. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I'm thinking for the price there may be other better investments.

eg bulk buy canned foods that you would normally eat, led

lighting. if you need to sell quickly then the high premiums that

you paid could be lost. if you don't need to sell then something

like led lighting will save you a little money every month at little

risk. if you must choose gold then saving for a half sovereign

(as suggested by others) is probably a better choice.

(gold is usually cyclical so on average buying during predicted

annual dips and saving up during the in between months

might yield slightly better returns. this requires some discipline

and probably won't be much good for getting your 'fix')

HH

At the risk of resurrecting an answered thread only to derail its original question, what about 1g panda gold coins? A heavier premium than the pamp 1g bars but the yearly design change surely makes them collectable? Or are they not worth the extra premium amount being asked for, or not collectable because they are not proof quality? 

12 minutes ago, Blockhead said:

At the risk of resurrecting an answered thread only to derail its original question, what about 1g panda gold coins? A heavier premium than the pamp 1g bars but the yearly design change surely makes them collectable? Or are they not worth the extra premium amount being asked for, or not collectable because they are not proof quality? 

The premiums on them do seem very high from what I've seen.  I guess it makes them highly collectable while they still carry the premium.  The only risk is of them going out of favour at some point in the future and the premiums evaporating.  That is a risk for any coin that carries a high premium, which is why I personally prefer to stack items that are as close to spot as possible.

Archived