• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay 15% off

shawy2510

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Goldhooked said:

Most businesses charge more on eBay than on their own websites to cover the 15% eBay fees.  I do it myself with my business.

That's fair enough but that's not what it seems is happening here. It looks like they're pulling products because the discount (that falls on ebay) makes their usual prices look too high/devalues the perceived/accepted premium.

Just now, kimchi said:

That's fair enough but that's not what it seems is happening here. It looks like they're pulling products because the discount (that falls on ebay) makes their usual prices look too high/devalues the perceived/accepted premium.

Look at the link I posted above - they are still selling sovs at £256 which is still £217 after the discount...

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/bullionbypost/Gold-Sovereign-/_i.html?LH_SellerWithStore=1&LH_TitleDesc=1&rt=nc&_fsub=3506830012&_sacat=bullionbypost&_sasi=1&_sid=940487802&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

4 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Most businesses charge more on eBay than on their own websites to cover the 15% eBay fees.  I do it myself with my business.

Aye, but the 2018 I bought an hour or so ago was listed at £259, bit of a difference

1 hour ago, MickD said:

Aye, but the 2018 I bought an hour or so ago was listed at £259, bit of a difference

As above, they are currently listing other dates at less than that.  And the 2018 is currently at £266.97 so they've only added £8 which is much less than 15%.  Do they regularly update the prices anyway based on spot price?  It wouldn't be difficult with repricer software, particularly for a business the size they are.

The comparison I was drawing was a newly listed 2017 sovereign on e-bay for £295 against the 2018 sovereign I bought from e-bay which was listed at £259.  I've noticed before that their prices seem to fluctuate quite a bit on e-bay, I'm not knocking them, think they provide a decent service if you pick and choose.

2 minutes ago, MickD said:

The comparison I was drawing was a newly listed 2017 sovereign on e-bay for £295 against the 2018 sovereign I bought from e-bay which was listed at £259.  I've noticed before that their prices seem to fluctuate quite a bit on e-bay, I'm not knocking them, think they provide a decent service if you pick and choose.

You're not comparing like for like.  They sell the 2017 on their website for more than they do the 2018.  Like for like comparisons are...

2017: website is £262.30, ebay is £294.98

2018: website is £237.20, ebay is £259.46

1 minute ago, Goldhooked said:

You're not comparing like for like.  They sell the 2017 on their website for more than they do the 2018.  Like for like comparisons are...

2017: website is £262.30, ebay is £294.98

2018: website is £237.20, ebay is £259.46

Aye, fair point, seems a bit over-priced for a 2017 though

2 minutes ago, TerryGriffiths said:

Can you do multiple purchases with the voucher or do you have to do all your buying in one go?

Multiple purchases are fine but you have to check them out all in one go.

19 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

As above, they are currently listing other dates at less than that.  And the 2018 is currently at £266.97 so they've only added £8 which is much less than 15%.  Do they regularly update the prices anyway based on spot price?  It wouldn't be difficult with repricer software, particularly for a business the size they are.

Yes their prices always change with spot. OK, so they are doing some coins still at a discount (that falls on ebay, not them) which actually make them more since they have bumped prices up, but they've taken off a huge amount of products as far as I can see that are still available on their website.

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Yes their prices always change with spot. OK, so they are doing some coins still at a discount (that falls on ebay, not them) which actually make them more since they have bumped prices up, but they've taken off a huge amount of products as far as I can see that are still available on their website.

I guess demand dictates prices as well, particularly with PM's.  They don't appear to have added 15% on to their prices.  3% on the 2018 since @MickD bought his.  Still one of the cheapest places to buy sovs today after the ebay discount.

37 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

How come no one buys Britannia gold ? ?

Nowt cheap enough, I was in the market for some 1/10th too, but as noted dealers seem to bump up 10% so the bargains disappear.  I think you might save a £ over Royal Mint which comes in a capsule. Proofs might be worth it if one knows the market prices well enough.

6 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

I guess demand dictates prices as well, particularly with PM's.  They don't appear to have added 15% on to their prices.  3% on the 2018 since @MickD bought his.  Still one of the cheapest places to buy sovs today after the ebay discount.

Yes but ebay takes the hit so they are making more. Don't get me wrong - it's a good deal for customers. It just doesn't reflect well on the company imvho.

Archived