• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any silver or gold coins exempt from CGT in Europe ?

iesilv

Hey gang,

Does anyone know if there are any gold or silver coins that are exempt from CGT in Europe (similar to how brittania's and sovereigns are cgt exempt in UK) ?

I've searched around but everything brings me back to the UK cgt exempt coins.

Thanks in advance folks !

iesilv

You give your base as the UK. Any CGT exemptions will be country specific - so what country were you thinking of?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

@sixgun, sorry, I didn't realise my country was set to UK, I don't recall being asked that when I signed up. Yes @HelpingHands, I'm based in Ireland and not finding a whole lot of info on the Irish Revenue pages other than Irish currency is CGT exempt but not sure if this is outdated text or if it means currency used in Ireland which is now the Euro.

i wonder if it is just the UK has this thing with CGT and their own coinage. i know people talk about CTG and in general people will talk about paying it but has anyone here ever actually paid CTG on coins and bars? - Don't reply it draws attention to yourself. i have never sold a coin or bar so clearly i haven't.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Hasn't been an issue for me before as I'm only making my first purchase now through the group order  :D

Just looking into it now to see what the most tax efficient purchases would be for me going forward.

Maybe CGT on PMs can be tracked if they require bullion dealers make you fill out a tax form when selling to them (like in the USA over a certain amount. "1099" I think is the name of the form).

I'm still of the opinion that CGT free coins are a tax trap waiting to happen. How do we know the government won't change that rule next year? They slapped on VAT with the stroke of a pen, they can slap on CGT just as easily.

35 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

I'm still of the opinion that CGT free coins are a tax trap waiting to happen. How do we know the government won't change that rule next year? They slapped on VAT with the stroke of a pen, they can slap on CGT just as easily.

If they did, that would mean paying CGT if you made over £12k profit.   For context, if gold rose 50% you'd be able to sell 25 ounces bought today without paying any tax.

1 hour ago, bluemoon said:

Maybe CGT on PMs can be tracked if they require bullion dealers make you fill out a tax form when selling to them (like in the USA over a certain amount. "1099" I think is the name of the form).

who's more likely to suffer?

1. rich people who own a lot of assets, have an influence on

laws, more likely to move large amounts of wealth from one

asset class to another within the same tax year.

2. the average joe who doesn't have the wealth to go over

their cgt allowance in most years.

how much tax will removing cgt free coins make and who is

paying the tax?

I doubt the more influential people are going to vote in taxes

that hurt themselves most.

HH

5 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

who's more likely to suffer?

1. rich people who own a lot of assets, have an influence on

laws, more likely to move large amounts of wealth from one

asset class to another within the same tax year.

2. the average joe who doesn't have the wealth to go over

their cgt allowance in most years.

how much tax will removing cgt free coins make and who is

paying the tax?

I doubt the more influential people are going to vote in taxes

that hurt themselves most.

HH

Well let's hope so, it's not like I want to be right about this!

9 hours ago, Martlet said:

If they did, that would mean paying CGT if you made over £12k profit.   For context, if gold rose 50% you'd be able to sell 25 ounces bought today without paying any tax.

CGT allowance in Ireland is 1,270 euro  ?

Archived