• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading Question - Proof/Uncirculated

Pritchard

hey.

sorry i cant find an answer to this. I understand ( i think) what grading is and why, but what i am not clear on is on what type of coin would you grade?
by this i mean, would you only grade a proof coin? or, if you have a BU coin (see, im learning some jargon now :) ) would you typicaly submit that for grading?

thanks

In general you only grade high value coins (gold, platinum or high value (rare in this condition) silver coins).

You should ask yourself why you want to grade your coins: presentation/protection of proof coins, possible increase in value for circulation issues e.g. Queens Beasts 1/4 oz gold in MS70, ability to sell abroad without worrying that the buyer can switch the coin and claim it as defective...

Some grade worthless coins (e.g. myself because I want to put the coins into a context together). As long as you are aware of the cost and it's worth it for you to "loose" the money on grading, you can grade anything. 

You can grade more or less anything. Gold is generally more popular because the grading cost is smaller as a proportion of the coins cost. Proofs are popular for grading but good condition bullion coins, uncirculated or lightly circulated coins also work.

It's possible to get modern coins in more or less perfect condition, so there's a lot of 69s and 70s out there, but antique coins in good grades can be a lot rarer, so sometimes it's worth grading older coins even if they're not in as good a condition as a freshly minted bullion piece

Archived