• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rumblings from Asia

NeutronJack

Greetings to all,

I started stacking/collecting (possibly both … it’s still too early to tell!) only a few months ago after a fairly prolonged period of consideration and corresponding inaction.

As a Brit, I tend to focus narrowly on UK government-issued bullion coins (mainly Britannia’s), but have recently been tempted by some of the Perth Mint offerings. The result being that the fairly rigid strategy I set myself, at the outset, is now in danger of being compromised.

Although currently based in South Korea, I’ve actively avoided purchasing here. Gold is taxable, the premiums on silver tend to be of the eye-watering variety, and to complicate matters further (for gold, at least), there’s a different unitary system of weight measurement in use - the ‘Don’ (1 Don = about 3.8grams or 0.12oz), which only seems to serve as a method to inflate prices further.

I was primarily drawn to The Silver Forum as a result of several existing members, who regularly share information, experiences, and insights via YouTube; thanks to which, I feel I’ve gained a considerable amount of knowledge in a relatively short period of time.

Nevertheless, I’m still deep into ‘novice’ territory and keen to learn more; hence, my decision to join the Silver Forum.

Thanks and regards,

NeutronJack

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Lots of members have a wealth of information so you are in the right place.

It is so easy to go from stacker to collector with the vast array of different coins available. Sounds like a plan though to stick to UK government issue. However, in the UK silver attracts a 20% VAT whereas gold does not. Most members therefore buy silver from Europe where the VAT is lower and ship to the UK. 

You may or may not be aware that one of our members, BackYardBullion organises group orders from Europe which could work out cheaper for you if you have a UK address it could be shipped to. Last chance for this current group buy is this weekend. He organises them approximately every six weeks or so.

The Perth Mint is held in very high regard as perhaps the best in the world so you won't go wrong purchasing any of their coins which generally speaking, are very collectable.

Welcome. That sounds like the same sort of weighing system they had when I visited Hong Kong where a mace is 3.78grams. You might be able to get some good deals over there on gold jewellery as the quality is a lot better than the UK, being 22 or even 24k. Also if you're coming back to the UK you could always wear it coming through customs ? 

Welcome to the forum @NeutronJack ?

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 03:47, caloundracats said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Lots of members have a wealth of information so you are in the right place.

It is so easy to go from stacker to collector with the vast array of different coins available. Sounds like a plan though to stick to UK government issue. However, in the UK silver attracts a 20% VAT whereas gold does not. Most members therefore buy silver from Europe where the VAT is lower and ship to the UK. 

You may or may not be aware that one of our members, BackYardBullion organises group orders from Europe which could work out cheaper for you if you have a UK address it could be shipped to. Last chance for this current group buy is this weekend. He organises them approximately every six weeks or so.

The Perth Mint is held in very high regard as perhaps the best in the world so you won't go wrong purchasing any of their coins which generally speaking, are very collectable.

Thanks for your comments and info.

To date, the bulk of my silver purchases have actually been from Europe (one of many invaluable lessons learned) and I certainly hope to participate in a future group order. The UK being my preferred destination for shipping, not least in terms of costs.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 05:49, Money2Metal said:

Welcome. That sounds like the same sort of weighing system they had when I visited Hong Kong where a mace is 3.78grams. You might be able to get some good deals over there on gold jewellery as the quality is a lot better than the UK, being 22 or even 24k. Also if you're coming back to the UK you could always wear it coming through customs ? 

Thanks. Jewellery is certainly a bigger market here.

Incidently, Hong Kong generally appears to have the most attractive (i.e. lowest) premiums on bullion in this neck of the woods. Although, you do, of course, have to additionally factor in shipping and customs/import costs (if ordering online) depending on your location, which for me reduces the appeal somewhat. Visiting in person is probably a better option, in that regard.

Archived