• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Pete

Breaking the 30 mph Speed Limit

Most of our town centres and residential areas have 30mph speed limits primarily for safety reasons.
Travelling on quiet roads at off peak times in an automatic car without touching the accelerator can regularly inadvertently put your speed up a bit.

Not a problem you think because you don't sense the speed and the road ahead is free of traffic.
You are in total control and when you glance at your speedometer it might show 35 mph or thereabouts.

Glancing today at some recent convictions in a magistrates court I was really surprised to see the number of drivers who were fined for breaking the 30 mph limit.
Yes they were caught and yes they did exceed 30mph but how many of us realise that you can get prosecuted AND BANNED for 5 mph ?
Definitely need to keep a closer eye on speed as you never know who will clock you.

Extracts with names and addresses removed -

Mr. X, aged 60, of C_ Avenue, Y, driving at 35mph in a 30mph zone; fined £148, surcharge £30 and costs £85, banned from driving for six months.

Mr Y, aged 37, of M_Road, Z, driving at 39mph in a 30mph zone; fined £230, surcharge £30 and costs £85, banned from driving for six months.

Mr. Z, aged 33, of H_Road, B, driving at 35mph in a 30mph zone; fined £200, surcharge £30 and csots £85, banned from driving for six months.

Ms S, aged 42, of C_Close, C, driving at 41mph in a 30mph zone; fined £440, surcharge £44 and costs £85, banned from driving for six months.

Edited by Pete
addition of text

Yeah it's annoying actually as I have been behind a police car and seen them speed and I would say 9/10 cars do above 30 as I normally keep the cruise control on, then again I have a lead foot when it comes to B roads but these punishments above are pretty crazy..6 months ban for 5mph over the limit.

Banned from driving for six months? For breaking the speed limit with only 5 mph? Wow, they are really hard on you in the UK..

Netherlands: banned from driving for 2 months if you break the speed limit with more than 31 mph...

The bans must be from accumulating 12 points within 3 years. 

You only get a court summons if the 3 points will take your tally to 12 or above, otherwise you send you license, pay £100 and receive 3 points. 

If you have been caught speeding 4 times within 3 years, 6 month isn't to bad. I'm currently sat on 6 points however I've had them for a while now. 

44 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

The bans must be from accumulating 12 points within 3 years. 

You only get a court summons if the 3 points will take your tally to 12 or above, otherwise you send you license, pay £100 and receive 3 points. 

If you have been caught speeding 4 times within 3 years, 6 month isn't to bad. I'm currently sat on 6 points however I've had them for a while now. 

Does that make this thread "fake news". :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, caloundracats said:

Wish they'd spend more time clocking the 'boy racers' every Sunday evening... can hear them a mile off!

We're not all boy racers.  I'm a "grown-up" and drive a Subaru Impreza - you can hear it coming a mile away because of the exhaust even if you are sticking to the speed limit :D

*edit* In fact we're some of the safest drivers in the UK - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/10188282/Boy-racer-Subaru-drivers-make-fewest-claims.html :)

Edited by Goldhooked

I have no faith in the police any more, I had a car accident a couple of years ago now where the brake bias valve failed on my car and sent it into the side railing on a B road, I knew it was the brake bias valve as it had gone before on the same side, nothing major but the front of the car was all bashed in.  Traffic Police appeared I told them what happened and they insisted the car needed to be professionally examined so they took it away.  Now all the time they are dealing with me they are all nice and smiley continually repeating "we are here to help"  However my car was hand built my myself over a number of years and I look after it so has a tracker which is activated when it leaves a set geo-position so I did not want the insurance company removing it before I had removed some of the expensive custom parts I had fitted so I reset it that evening.

Two days later it alerts me by phone saying the car is moving, now it also has a built in microphone where you are meant to listen in on the thieves and record the converastion and pick up tips as to where they are and where they are heading.  So now I'm listening in on the "professional examination" as all it was was the police moving the car onto a ramp, it only moved about 20 feet.  Turns out the professional examination was done by the two traffic police that arrived on the scene a young lad and a very bossy short dumpy woman.  I thought the woman was some kind of Chief Inspector the way she talked down to to the young lad but it turns out they are both only constables and their qualifications are a 3 day course, the pair of them were totally clueless, they had to keep asking some guy that worked at whatever garage they took it to for advice.

Upon listening to the two of them work it was apparent they had absoluely no interest whatsoever in examining what caused the accident and the focus was what else they could pick me up on and what they could throw into the charges that could be dropped so a charge of dangerous driving would stick.  They went with a bent wishbone which obviously bent in the accident and loose wheel bolts which I heard them admit were not loose at all but going by what they were saying they use this one a lot as it allows the court to drop something as if they are doing you a favour.

I was furious so I phoned their superior and ranted at him and he said to bring in the recording which I did, I played it to him off my phone and he asked to borrow it to make a copy of it for his investigation - and I never saw it again, it was confiscated as evidence, I ended up in court charged with dangerous driving which was dropped to careless driving and I got a 6 month ban and a £300 fine, the phone I got back afterwards with the memory card wiped clean.  All through the proceedings my lawyer did next to nothing so if anything like this ever happens again I'm going to defend myself.  It's a massive white collar racket with lawyers and court staff in collusion, at the end of it my lawyer said "how many weeks do you want to pay up the £300, I replied "I'm paying you £3,000, I'll just pay it all".

Sorry for the long winded rant but it still makes my blood boil a couple of years later, the police have lost all respect in my eyes and if I am ever stopped again they are getting the bare minimum compliance, what I'm obliged to provide and nothing more.

Edited by Scuzzle

That is really sad but sorry to say not an isolated case. A lot of money and time.could be saved if common sense was used. I too have lost huge amounts of respect for the police. They seem to think they are above the law however many PCs don't know how to utilise and enforce the correct law. Wiping the memory card is shocking but this sort of behaviour by the police is all too common. 

With regards to the thread can the magistrates not use any empathy and dish out less severe punishments for driving offense examples provided?

5 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

With regards to the thread can the magistrates not use any empathy and dish out less severe punishments for driving offense examples provided?

In what respect, the bans?  Those individuals would have already been given multiple chances.  They would have only got banned because they already had at least 9 points on their licences.

Just now, Tn21 said:

That is really sad but sorry to say not an isolated case. A lot of money and time.could be saved if common sense was used. I too have lost huge amounts of respect for the police. They seem to think they are above the law however many PCs don't know how to utilise and enforce the correct law. Wiping the memory card is shocking but this sort of behaviour by the police is all too common. 

In my case I had already been stopped a couple of years previously for doing 34 in a 30, he said it was because of this that I was losing my licence for 6 months as I was obviously a menace.  The court is a joke as well, everyone looks so bored and you feel like saying to the Sheriff - you lot could all do with a change of job just to freshen you all up.

Seems that these all came from the same court. Could have a potential for appeal as the magistrate could have been biased. However with out the information regarding licence status ie points it might not just have been as clean cut as it appears. 

29 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

In what respect, the bans?  Those individuals would have already been given multiple chances.  They would have only got banned because they already had at least 9 points on their licences.

Oh right thanks for clearing that up, I guess thats kind of fair then lol. 

SO for a first time mottering offence (say 35mph in a 30) a ban does not apply?

32 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

In my case I had already been stopped a couple of years previously for doing 34 in a 30, he said it was because of this that I was losing my licence for 6 months as I was obviously a menace.  The court is a joke as well, everyone looks so bored and you feel like saying to the Sheriff - you lot could all do with a change of job just to freshen you all up.

With regards to the court I personally think it all comes down to your luck on the day, A good pannel of magistrates or even a judge can sometimes be the difference between a harsh punishment/ getting away lightly. 

I really have one policy nowadays,  is that I want to avoid any trouble at all on the streets, I dont want to deal with police or  the courts so I try and conduct myself accordingly. 

4 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

SO for a first time mottering offence (say 35mph in a 30) a ban does not apply?

It shouldn't do if that is the only offence.  If its a first time, then you can usually get away with no points if you take the speed awareness course instead.  I believe the fine still stands regardless and under new rules I think its calculated based on a percentage of the persons income?

Edited by Goldhooked

I came back from a holiday in Croatia last week after driving there and back. On my return I had a speeding fine from Germany whilst on a restricted speed section of the autobahn. 15km an hour over the 100km/h limit.

Total cost of fine was 20 Euros. The paperwork did ask for all my details but if I just accept the caution and pay the fine before the 17th. August then that would be the end of it.

My bank charged me £9 for the priviledge of sorting it out for me.

Think you only get offered the speed awareness course if you are only 10 per cent over the limit. They are a racket in themselves , no choice of provider so it's best part of a hundred quid , when I done one there must have been thirty people in my classroom and and there was about 6 or 7 seven classrooms . These courses run 6 days a week at the centre I went to . It's a complete money making scam.