• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Sovereign 2018 Gold Proof Coin

medgasguy

On the Royal Mint website there is a banner to the upper right that reads 100% reserved yet allows you to add to the basket and reads on the bottom that a limited supply is left. Can someone explain to me how this is possible. Thanks for any info you can share with me.

I think any Sovereign with a slight difference to the Normal could stand out in later years. The 2002 and 2009 are prime examples, although the 2018 is not as radical, it does have that Privy crown with the numbers 65. We can only wait and see, not a Flippers coin IMO , one to keep in your Gold Stack.

9 hours ago, drakesterling said:

Is anyone concerned that these small changes in the design might get a bit gimmicky in the years to come?

Eric

Absolutely Eric. In my opinion, these sorts of minor things diminish the uniqueness of the Sovereign and makes the coin feel cheap and gimmicky. 

I can understand that the Queen is hitting a lot of unique milestones, but I don’t see why they need to release so many variations for these milestones plus other anniversaries, birthdays, etc. of other royals. 

Edit: And not just design variations... the 2017 piedfort was also supposed to be extra special because of the 200 year anniversary. But with it seemingly becoming an annual thing, the concept of a piedfort Sovereign has now almost become like whatever. IMO.

15 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Absolutely Eric. In my opinion, these sorts of minor things diminish the uniqueness of the Sovereign and makes the coin feel cheap and gimmicky. 

I can understand that the Queen is hitting a lot of unique milestones, but I don’t see why they need to release so many variations for these milestones plus other anniversaries, birthdays, etc. of other royals. 

Yes they've overdone it, way over the top.  I think the annual proofs will do well, the Pistrucci SotD, possibly the two Piedforts so far, those are the main headline grabbers from the last year imho. As a modern Sov man those are the ones I want/need. The Sapphire Coronation SotD could be a nice bonus at that mintage and being a distinct Sov variety that complements the 2018 Proof and Piedfort (all have the 65 privy).

The birthday ones for George and Charlotte etc though...they are not even distinctive issues, and at such a large premium. The Sapphire Jubilee SotD could have done OK but then they released the same coin for the wedding anniversary. Collectors have to draw the line somewhere (well, most do, unless money no object) and I think all these will be 'lost' or ignored by most in years to come. Some here say that for the Piedfort too, we will have to see there, time will tell.

I really hope the Royal Mint is keeping their finger on the pulse and reading these boards.

Generally, I liked the standard sovereign issues each year (proof and BU) before they began adding privies. The unique-design sovereigns are also collectable (1989, 2002, 2005, 2012, 2017). I actually really like the 2017 SOTD issues because it's the only way to get a normal St George sov for 2017 (free from privies and mintmarks). The edge milling variations between the two types is numismatically interesting, too.

Eric

Well while they are available from the mint I think I'm going to splurge and buy the 2018 1/2 and 1/4 sovereigns. Then I'll work on filling in on back issues like the "89, '02, '05 and 2012 proof sovereigns. I can't wait to see what they come up with in 2019. Does the Royal Mint produce a product schedule like the U.S. Mint or do they just spring it on the collectors whenever they want?

On 16/08/2018 at 23:31, drakesterling said:

I really hope the Royal Mint is keeping their finger on the pulse and reading these boards.

I sure do hope they are. After all, these are collector coins, and if collectors themselves are getting turned off, it’s not a good sign. 

I guess in this day and age they’ll always be able to sell whatever variations they dream up; but the fact of the matter is it’s harming the image of the Sovereign as a coin that’s supposed to represent “a constant through change”.

On 16/08/2018 at 14:31, drakesterling said:

I actually really like the 2017 SOTD issues because it's the only way to get a normal St George sov for 2017 (free from privies and mintmarks). The edge milling variations between the two types is numismatically interesting, too.

I don't think the Mint know or care what a pulse is, let alone bother to check it :(

That's a good point about the SotD Sapphire Reign and Wedding, but (if you don't have one or both already) would you be happy to chance the premium? It's going to get interesting to see what the differentiated (slabbed) coins do versus the raw ones with no proof which one is which. Will the main modern Sov collectors want them (I am not sure due to the slow sell outs)?

Will the undifferentiated ones be lumped in together? It is still not a huge mintage - maybe these will surprise us all!

The George and Charlotte ones etc though...

27 minutes ago, medgasguy said:

Does the Royal Mint produce a product schedule like the U.S. Mint or do they just spring it on the collectors whenever they want?

Dealers get a schedule in advance, but they are subject to NDAs of course. One was 'leaked' on here for 2018 up to August and moved to the Premium Members Section, because 'someone' was not happy this info was out in public!

Archived