• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Attraction to Silver Unboxing videos

Mark10110

Hi guys and gals,

I have been away since January when I...... **swallows hard** got into Crypto and this week Crypto has left my ass hurting. (If you are into crypto you will understand)

I decided to get my mind off things by watching Silver videos that went into silver unboxing videos. I can sit at my PC and watch hours of unboxing videos and I don't know why, why do we do this? Do we do this or is this just me?

I was thinking of doing silver unboxing videos but I always worry that it will come across as bragging? What are your views of the "unboxing" phenomenon?

I too like the unboxing of silver and gold, I dont think it is bragging in fact I appreciate the people that put the videos up and offer their content for all of us to see. Unboxing videos always offer some variety which is why I keep watching

Crypto's took a hit last week not that im in it but I pay attention to them.

If you like or even was thinking of doing an unboxing video I say go for it. 

I enjoy watching them as well. It kind of feels like you're unboxing the silver for yourself, you get that same excitement.

My top three unboxing channels are:

- BackyardBullion (obvs), I like playing 'spot my order' in the epic unboxings 

- Big Lorry - especially when his son is involved. They're hilarious. 

- Stacker Noob UK  

I think I must like the Scottish accent :D

This is a really interesting question and I've asked it to myself various times.

My personal take on it is that it needs to offer something to the people watching, and there's probably some value in getting to see nice coins up close, along with the format providing some kind of suspense/excitement (albeit of the 'mild peril' level).

I tend to feel a little self conscious about it which is probably why I end up rambling about the history so much.

6 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

I enjoy watching them as well. It kind of feels like you're unboxing the silver for yourself, you get that same excitement.

My top three unboxing channels are:

- BackyardBullion (obvs), I like playing 'spot my order' in the epic unboxings 

- Big Lorry - especially when his son is involved. They're hilarious. 

- Stacker Noob UK  

I think I must like the Scottish accent :D

Too kind sir! I rarely feature at the top of peoples silver channel lists so I thank you kindly!

To the original question, its a hard one to explain. I love watching unboxing videos. Mind you I also enjoy watching gamer streams too. Both these things I partake in as well as watch others. I have no idea why but I guess I just like to see what others are collecting and sometimes dream about a day I can afford to have as much as some of the bigger channels do. 

I like to mix and match the metal channels I watch.

@StackerNoob's videos are what gave me the nudge I needed to take a chance with Silver stacking / collecting.

@BackyardBullion's videos are amazing to watch, the amount of silver he gets to play with is just awesome to watch getting opened and moved around.

I watch a few others but they mostly talk about silver and don't really do unboxings. Which I perfectly understand. They don't do it for the same reason I don't, they want to keep their wealth as private as possible.

Unboxing videos aren't bragging, you are either preaching to the choir (viewers stack themselves) or sharing your passion (viewers are interested in the subject). Most people that watch unboxings of anything understand that you are showing people what something is more than showing that you have it.

If you look at video game collector's edition unboxing videos it can come off as a bit of a show off because people are showing off their toys. But with things like silver, gold, watches, whisky and other enthusiast hobbies I generally find they are more informative than anything else. Although you will always find that one guy that does come across as a bit of a show off.

If you feel comfortable with showing people your unboxing experience then I say go for it. Sharing your experience with people can be fun. Just be sure to black out / remove your address and anything that can ID you from the box(es) before you start recording.

4 minutes ago, CarlosSilver said:

I only watch them on the off chance that someone will sever a finger with the unnecessary knives they use. 

I actually have a knife called the KABAR BK9 you can see it here >>>  knife

I was going to use this as my first unboxing as an inside joke, should I do it?

Guys should i use this knife in my first unboxing video as an inside joke? a bit of satire.

16 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

Guys should i use this knife in my first unboxing video as an inside joke? a bit of satire.

Yes and don't edit any accidents. 

23 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

"And here you can see a lovely half sovereign"...... "it was a full sovereign until I slipped with my knife when opening the parcel"...

1 minute ago, Bullionaire said:

"And here you can see a lovely half sovereign"...... "it was a full sovereign until I slipped with my knife when opening the parcel"...

Lets just say I ordered myself a fake hand and some severed fingers off amazon for a "satire" silver unboxing video.

I hope you guys enjoy it when its ready.

11 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

when do you plan on doing another bulk buy? I would like to take part in some future ones.

The current order is still open!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

3 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

When will it be closed and when do you plan the next one? 

I already ordered from Celtic yesterday when I was drunk and forgot about the bulk orders you do.

Thanks in advance 

This one closes next weekend and The next one after this will be in November. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

3 hours ago, Mark10110 said:

When will it be closed and when do you plan the next one? 

I already ordered from Celtic yesterday when I was drunk and forgot about the bulk orders you do.

Thanks in advance 

Alcohol + laptop + boredom + obsession with silver = Many purchases that future Stacker Noob has to deal with ?

10 hours ago, Mark10110 said:

That knife is gorgeous.

15 hours ago, JunkBond said:

I am not a big fan of unboxings, however on general PM and coin vids...

I do find @ShadowStack entertaining

@PansPurse educational (history lessons used to be so boring)

@BackyardBullion I never miss a ponderous Wednesday

@Numistacker obvious sov fix

Not enough from @Ansel of late. :(

@JunkBond Thanks for the shout out. RL has kept me very busy recently and I just haven't had enough spare time to make any videos. A new job and a few other things have sucked up all my time and I have fallen out of the habit as of late. I am still stacking though. 

1 hour ago, Ansel said:

@JunkBond Thanks for the shout out. RL has kept me very busy recently and I just haven't had enough spare time to make any videos. A new job and a few other things have sucked up all my time and I have fallen out of the habit as of late. I am still stacking though. 

Real life happens :) Glad you're still with us

I'm a social psychologist, and my read on it is that the motivations are different for different unboxers. Some I've seen are clearly bragging when they pan over their entire "stack", with hundreds of ounces of different products. But bragging can be mixed with genuine pride and excitement about silver bullion as such.

I've seen a couple dozen at least, and I find them helpful when it's products I don't own or have never seen close up before. I'm also fascinated by packaging and shipping details since I'm interested in maybe starting an e-commerce business myself at some point, possibly PM-related. I prefer unboxings to be true unboxings, where they start with an unopened shipping box and proceed from there, not the kind where they already opened the box and have the product out.

(When making a video, it's important to conceal the false name used by the PM dealer on the shipping box, since it's a security measure. We wouldn't want everyone at the post office to know that Silver.com ships as Mike's Machine Parts or some such. A black marker would work.)

I also prefer that they be somewhat proficient, if not professional, in the videomaking, since it's not easy to do well without setting up the lighting and camera properly. @BackyardBullion seems quite competent and polished in that regard. Another I've seen is CyberCurtainTwitcher on YouTube (I have no idea what the name is all about). His are well done.

As for the knife to use, I've often thought it would be awesome to use a sword, perhaps a katana. It would be so great if someone could cleanly slice the cardboard lid off a box with one swift sweep of their sword, then proceed as if nothing unusual had just happened. ?

TBH I find most of them quite dull, unless they actually use the unboxing as a entrypoint for a further more meaningful discussion.

If they're just about commentary on opening your latest package and showing what you've bought then it's quite tedious.

Archived