• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Booze run to France - for PMs?

Pritchard

Hello.

Thought occured. Did a search, didnt come up with much... Google is losing its touch.

I am probably aiming this more towards silver than gold, due to VAT. however, is days of old when the French Franc was about 12:1 to the £, i remember hitting the ferry filling up the car with wine and ciggies, and coming back.

What about PMs? If you buy silver overseas and bring it back, whats the limit before its deemed as 'not for personal use'? if you have anything shipped over, its liable to VAT as it comes through customs. but what about if its on your person/in the car?

question 2 would be... Bullion sellers in France? or do you travel a bit further?

Cool.

i'm just looking at those megaboxes, for example about 500 ounces of silver,  saving VAT on current rates could save around £1400 in VAT. interesting....

although if im on a plane it will put my suitcase over the limit :)

Belgium... i dont know, maybe? im aware of the 'goldsilver.be website. (and they have so many monster boxes) but not sure if i can collect direct from them?
if im looking to grab a few dozen silver coins the savings doesnt seem worth it. im just debating 'front loading' and buying a bulk order.

The last time i was importing goods it was car parts from japan, and that was easy enough - if customs opened it, you paid VAT over a certain value. However, from my quick research it seems a bit grey for EU law and whats classed as jewlery, or collectables, or anquities. and then theres 'exercise duty', VAT' 'Customs duty' and severa lother terms. other sources i see say anything under 10,000euros cash (or equiv) is also exempt.

i guess direct question: If on my next trip to Nürburgring , i stop off at a bullion dealer coming home and bring back 500oz of silver, do i owe / liable to owe / liable to declare anything to port authorities at Calais?

There won't be any import taxes (VAT or duty) because you are moving goods freely within the EU.  I don't think there are any declaration limits either but not 100% sure.  This of course is likely to change after Brexit.

According to this website (scroll down to "Margin or differential VAT schemes" for the bit about picking up in person) - http://preciousmetaltax.com/how-to-avoid-vat-on-silver-coins/ - your best options are Germany, Estonia or Norway apparently!  I have no affiliation with that website, just found it from Googling.

1 hour ago, Goldhooked said:

There won't be any import taxes (VAT or duty) because you are moving goods freely within the EU.  I don't think there are any declaration limits either but not 100% sure.  This of course is likely to change after Brexit.

According to this website (scroll down to "Margin or differential VAT schemes" for the bit about picking up in person) - http://preciousmetaltax.com/how-to-avoid-vat-on-silver-coins/ - your best options are Germany, Estonia or Norway apparently!  I have no affiliation with that website, just found it from Googling.

thanks for this. i got reading and it led me to site to site with useful stuff.

OK so i have gone full circle..... just seen @BackyardBullion is doing this already in his group buys!! dammit. wish i had made the current order. oh well, waiting for the next one :)

3 hours ago, Pritchard said:

Belgium... i dont know, maybe? im aware of the 'goldsilver.be website. (and they have so many monster boxes) but not sure if i can collect direct from them?
if im looking to grab a few dozen silver coins the savings doesnt seem worth it. im just debating 'front loading' and buying a bulk order.

The last time i was importing goods it was car parts from japan, and that was easy enough - if customs opened it, you paid VAT over a certain value. However, from my quick research it seems a bit grey for EU law and whats classed as jewlery, or collectables, or anquities. and then theres 'exercise duty', VAT' 'Customs duty' and severa lother terms. other sources i see say anything under 10,000euros cash (or equiv) is also exempt.

i guess direct question: If on my next trip to Nürburgring , i stop off at a bullion dealer coming home and bring back 500oz of silver, do i owe / liable to owe / liable to declare anything to port authorities at Calais?

I am certain not. As long as you can prove you bought it in the EU you will be fine.

I flew from Estonia to the UK with about 30 kilos of silver and it was all good. I had all my documents ready incase but no issues.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 hours ago, Pritchard said:

problem is ive already spent this months Bullion-Budget :)

Wassat? :wacko::P

1 hour ago, PansPurse said:

Yes, we must keep the inner secrets from them of the outer court...

Gold members get hula girls (or guys) :)

30 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I am certain not. As long as you can prove you bought it in the EU you will be fine.

I flew from Estonia to the UK with about 30 kilos of silver and it was all good. I had all my documents ready incase but no issues.

I hope you didnt smuggle it internally ;)

15 hours ago, mr-dead said:

You would be better off doing a bullion run to Guernsey.

1kg bars at bullion rock are currently £410

Strange one Guernsey as when they post to UK, they add the VAT (not Gold), and on ferry I'm sure it says anything purchased over £142 is declarable. Its been a while so more research needed on that one....

14 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Bring back Britannias, they are legal tender with face value of £2, so theoretically you could bring back 5,000 within the £10,000 limit...  whoo hooo 10 Monster boxes!!

Not sure I'd want to be arguing with the HMRC representative in Dover though ?

1 minute ago, Uksilverstackers said:

Bring back Britannias, they are legal tender with face value of £2, so theoretically you could bring back 5,000 within the £10,000 limit...  whoo hooo 10 Monster boxes!!

Not sure I'd want to be arguing with the HMRC representative in Dover though ?

Within the EU there is no £10,000 limit unless I am mistaken

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Archived