• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Avg price/oz of your stack? What have you learned?

Investack

Thought this might be an informative/fun thread.  Assuming your silver stack is at least 100 oz, what’s your avg price per oz ($ or £) and what have you learned in this bear market for silver?

To kick it off:  

I’ve been stacking for a year and am in a $22.50 an oz.   I’ve learned to pay more attention to pricing across  vendors and how they price across various platforms.  I’m also much more sensitive to the premium I’m willing to pay.

i have no idea what the average price  is. i only count ounces/kilos.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

No idea what average is, have a rough idea how many ounces I have. Price goes up and down, I find it amusing hearing people agonise over % over spot when they will  have  paid  more previously when the price was higher.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I have also found its as important where you buy it from always shop around, postage and duty costs can be bad especially when its charged at the wrong rate.

Guess its best to save, hope for price to drop then snipe a bargain if you can, unfortunately most stuff I have been buying is at a premium.

Around 144 Oz after 2 months or so on average around £31 or $40 per ounce. I buy what I like which is mostly at a premium. Most so far is £250 for 2oz silver coin.

Cheapest so far is £16 for some nice 1oz coins

Update  212 Oz now average £26.40.

It does seem silly agonising over premiums when the purchase could in theory be the cheapest silver you have ever bought. But if you are trying to maximise returns on the silver then % over spot matters. If you are looking at silver with higher percentage premiums and trying to justify the buy, then arguably it's not really the silver you want, it's the design on the coin, or the toning and label stamped on the bar. A slippery slope :P

The longer and more you stack the less you care about avg price... because there's nothing you can do about it. It's just a natural function of spot price over time. There is a good video from Belangp that demonstrates that a disciplined monthly cost averaging approach will result in your stack grativating towards a price that is very rarely more than 20%-25% above spot, even in prolonged bear markets. I can live with that.

30 minutes ago, vand said:

The longer and more you stack the less you care about avg price... because there's nothing you can do about it. It's just a natural function of spot price over time.

I'd have thought over time avg price becomes more important.  Sure, you cant do anything about it, wouldn't you want to know how much profit would be realised from sale?  Unless one is not treating the stack as fungible and tracking cost/sale prices for individual items.

I do keep an eye on that :) now....

174 oz @ average of £ 20.94, pushed up by buying some more expensive stuff I liked, i.e. PAMP bars

now the focus is on bringing that down with most oz's per ££  which is where i hope BYB group buys will help out in the future

1 hour ago, Martlet said:

I'd have thought over time avg price becomes more important.  Sure, you cant do anything about it, wouldn't you want to know how much profit would be realised from sale?  Unless one is not treating the stack as fungible and tracking cost/sale prices for individual items.

i used to track price. i have the amount recorded for everything i've got but i have never bothered to average. i simply count the weight. If i were in the business of trading silver i would follow the price of every piece to the penny but i have never sold anything. i have no idea about a target price or a target time to sell. i expect price will be multiples of today so a few quid per ounce will not matter. i will not be UK tax resident so i could not careless about capital gains and paying the pirates.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 hours ago, Martlet said:

I can understand why you would want to know your average cost (I track mine to the penny), but all it ultimately tells you is how much you put into it. You have to come back to the reason why you are stacking in the first place. Remember that PMs are a hedge against traditional financial assets. If PMs are doing badly then generally other things like stocks and bonds are doing OK, and its those markets that tend to shape our everyday life.  That's why I don't advise anyone to put anything approaching 100% of their wealth into PMs. It's not sensible even if you feel that they are the most undervalued play in town right now.

I have built and sold one silver stack and the main lesson I learned upon selling after such a short time was that premiums, postage and margins all add up to made silver a little bit more difficult as an investment to make money on compared to gold, even when the silver price does a 2016. If I remember correctly, the silver price returned more on paper than gold did in early 2016, but I actually did better on the physical gold I sold, due to the difference in costs at each end, both buying and selling.

My new stack is two halves. Low premium as possible for half. The other half Britannia. Britannia are the most expensive things in my stack at £14.50 an ounce. Cheapest are maple, £13.41 an ounce. Its a small stack though plenty of time to join the legendary £80 an ounce crew. :P

@250 oz now and I'm averaging £17.95 now, all in. I've never really had a real wish to keep my costs down on a per oz basis, because that means you end up with crappy generic silver rounds which are the least attractive to me personally. The cheapest I've bought are maples and philharmonics for £14-15 per oz, my ASEs come in at £16 per oz and my umicore bars come in at £17 per oz and all those pieces make up over half of my stack. The rest is slightly higher premium stuff but I rarely visit anything over £20 per oz now. 

Buying a bit every month to cost average, so as long as I do that I know Ill be getting the dips as well as the peaks.

My avg PPO on silver is around £23-24. This is a guesstimate from over the past 6 years. I did sell some and made a slight loss. As the poster above said, it's harder to turn a profit with silver due to premiums. 

Gold is £890 PO - This is exact as I have a spreadsheet ? The one coin pushing up my PPO is the 1oz Kangaroo at £1030 ?

27 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

@250 oz now and I'm averaging £17.95 now, all in. I've never really had a real wish to keep my costs down on a per oz basis, because that means you end up with crappy generic silver rounds which are the least attractive to me personally. The cheapest I've bought are maples and philharmonics for £14-15 per oz, my ASEs come in at £16 per oz and my umicore bars come in at £17 per oz and all those pieces make up over half of my stack. The rest is slightly higher premium stuff but I rarely visit anything over £20 per oz now. 

Buying a bit every month to cost average, so as long as I do that I know Ill be getting the dips as well as the peaks.

Wow, your bars at 17 pounds per ounce, how do you do that... 

I keep track of the cost of every oz in my stack on a giant spread sheet.  It has what I got, where I got it, when, what I paid and spot at the time.  So far I’ve got 165 oz at an average cost of 17.98 US.  

Ive only been stacking for 2 months but all the research I’ve done indicated I want any silver under 20 and oz including premium. That’s the path I’m on right now.

I’m more of a pure weight stacker also.  Bars/rounds are 50% of my stack and the other half is coins, 50% of that being liberty coins and the other half being whatever I enjoy.

I don't really know what the price/ounce average is that I paid for the silver, but it's not too much over spot, except for the numismatic coins. The gold isn't too much over spot, since that's more expensive per ounce, and I pay very careful attention to how much I'm paying for it.

11 hours ago, FFkook said:

Wow, your bars at 17 pounds per ounce, how do you do that... 

Well it was my big 1 kg bar that did that for me. I paid £490 for that (although some cheeky beggars snap them up for £440 here on the forum!) = £15.31 / oz

My 500g bar cost me £290 = £18.13/ oz

My 250g bar cost me £160 = £20 / oz

My 100g bar cost me £65 = £21 / oz

If you average that out per oz it works out at £16.90 / oz.

And btw, I paid far more than the prices charge here on the forum for the same pieces. I know the 100 g bars go for as little as £45-50 here on the forum.

So if I had paid £45 for 100g, and £440 for the kilo, I would have paid under £16 per oz in total.

Archived