• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Glint Pay

mr-dead

First up a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with this company do your own research/due diligence etc.

Recently signed up for Glint Pay and have now started loading up and using it.

You basically transfer funds to your Glint account you can then switch those funds between GBP, EUR, USD and gold.  You can then spend those funds directly with the linked Master Card on your account even when your funds are in gold.

It allows you save in gold and spend the proceeds directly anywhere that accepts Master Card. 

If you have the funds in gold and you get a bit of a price spike you can then switch into GBP to lock  in the profit.

The IOS version is more advanced than the Android version currently (android only has gold/GBP option, IOS has USD, EUR, GBP and gold) but the Android version will have the additional features coming online shortly.

Loaded £1750 up as a test so down a little at the moment as the gold price has dropped.

20180801_141639.jpg

Capture.PNG

Edited by mr-dead

These type of applications will be the way forward in the gold- fiat- crypto currency space. To which one will be adopted!!! Maybe there's room for more than one, I don't know. It's a very interesting time we live in. 

Very true, when I think whats changed in my short time on this planet, I have gone from manual film cameras to autofocus then digital, cars have gone from unreliable rot boxes to being super efficient and now electric, we now have mobile phones and in a short time they have become smart handheld computers, so much is changing so quickly, some of it good some of it bad.

8 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Very true, when I think whats changed in my short time on this planet, I have gone from manual film cameras to autofocus then digital, cars have gone from unreliable rot boxes to being super efficient and now electric, we now have mobile phones and in a short time they have become smart handheld computers, so much is changing so quickly, some of it good some of it bad.

It's all bad imvho - analogue all the way - these 'conveniences' have only led to a complete dumbing down of the entire population if you ask me.

When I was at school we used things like rulers (I know, real antique stuff huh?) - ask a kid nowadays and if their phone or tablet doesn't have a signal they will have no idea what one of these things even is.

Very scary.

Edited by kimchi

Just now, kimchi said:

It's all bad imvho - analogue all the way - these 'conveniences' have only led to a complete dumbing down of the entire population if you ask me.

When I was at school we used things like rulers (I know, real antique stuff huh?) - ask a kid nowadays and if their phone or tablet doesn't have a signal they will have no idea what one of these things even is.

Very scary.

I agree, I live under a rock tech wise and I like it that way, I even use a basic non smart mobile phone, the battery lasts 2 weeks, I wanted a Nikon microscope, I could of afforded one of the latest all singing and dancing electronic ones, but I didnt like them and had to go hunting the antique path to find what I wanted that was all mechanical and manual, I dont trust this smart tech, its invasive and not secure, and I agree its dumbing down a nation and even a world.

Its a 2 edged sword, technology has also given the masses access to more information that at any other time in history.

If it wasn't for the alt media online then mainstream media would be free to pump the population full of propaganda unchallenged and people would believe the cr*p  the government spews out on a regular basis.

I like my smart phone, sat nav in my pocket, camera on family days out, calendar for all my appointments etc.

Where would you all buy and sell your gold and silver if there was no internet ;)

Edited by mr-dead

30 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

Its a 2 edged sword, technology has also given the masses access to more information that at any other time in history.

If it wasn't for the alt media online then mainstream media would be free to pump the population full of propaganda unchallenged and people would believe the cr*p  the government spews out on a regular basis.

I like my smart phone, sat nav in my pocket, camera on family days out, calendar for all my appointments etc.

Where would you all buy and sell your gold and silver if there was no internet ;)

Yeah I agree with the internet, for research, and looking for rare items it has been a godsave, for entertainment too, its not all bad but just seems to be moving to fast for me.

Technology is certainly a 2-edge sword. Great for so many things. But...... for all the good things there are corresponding bad ones. Re mobiles, I am personally sick to death of hearing other people's conversations - no respect for privacy... I don't want or need to hear about the ins and outs of peoples lives, what they did last night, how the house purchase/divorce/holiday plans are going etc. To my way of thinking, a conversation on a mobile is still a private communication between two people and not for the world to hear about. How often do you see people in the supermarket ringing wife/husband/partner..... do we need such and such. Surely they have some idea of what they are going to buy when they leave the house. As for people walking down the street glued to their mobiles... don't get me started! 

Yes, they are wonderful in so many ways but by the looks of the general population who seem to be glued to mobiles, I despair. Totally absorbed without a clue of the real life around them. Fed a lot of ******** by large social media organisations. No wonder the country has gone downhill. Many cannot think for themselves and have to follow the crowd - rather pathetic in my opinion.

However, they do allow us to access some much information that we would previously not had access to. And communicate with people across the globe. I do wonder what will happen if all signals go out for some reason, satellites fail, sun spots. or some other reasons.  How will the mobile phone generation cope? They can't even read a map! Rant over.

My sister comes to see us with her kids, comes straight in, sits down and gets on her phone. Her eldest now does the same and middle one comes in with his tablet and can't even say hello.

After a few hours when they feel like they've done their 'duty' to spend time in the same room as us and they run out of things to look at on facebook, or their friends are too busy to message back, they get bored and say they're off. They might as well not come at all, and we'd actually communicate more if I used Facetime etc - purely because then they're communicating through their phone, it seems to be all they can manage.

They're very useful things but at what cost? OK now if I want to research some papers in, say, a US museum, I don't have to make a transatlantic trip perhaps, but actually that idea sounds quite romantic! It's strange how the internet has widened the horizons so much electronically, but at the same time made many of us so socially insular.

@mr-dead will you be keeping us up to date with how Glint goes?

5 minutes ago, kimchi said:

@mr-dead will you be keeping us up to date with how Glint goes?

Will do,

So far it seems to be working ok. 

Positives

1) I transferred funds by bank transfer and they were credited to my account within an hour or two. 

2) Switched from GBP to gold in a few clicks and balance adjusts to reflect changes in spot price (although not in real time).

3) Customer service has been quick to answer questions via facebook messenger and by phone.

Limitations found so far:

1) You cant change the card pin number at a cash point so stuck with the default pin.  The pin can be accessed through the app if you forget it.

2) You cant check your balance at a cash point only through the app.

Edited by mr-dead

I signed up for an account with them a long time ago and it took them months to allow me to open one.  Once they allowed me to open one they wanted a ridiculous amount of information to identify me for my own protection.  I looked at the info they wanted using a company called whoU or something like that and said no thanks.  This has been tried in the past many times on a paper basis rather than digital and it always ends the same.....they don’t really hold the gold funds they say they do.  I’m not making any claims against this company but historically that’s what seems to happen.  It was also incredibly odd that they required much more information than what a bank would require to open a checking account!

52 minutes ago, Ryland said:

I signed up for an account with them a long time ago and it took them months to allow me to open one.  Once they allowed me to open one they wanted a ridiculous amount of information to identify me for my own protection.  I looked at the info they wanted using a company called whoU or something like that and said no thanks.  This has been tried in the past many times on a paper basis rather than digital and it always ends the same.....they don’t really hold the gold funds they say they do.  I’m not making any claims against this company but historically that’s what seems to happen.  It was also incredibly odd that they required much more information than what a bank would require to open a checking account!

It was a 2 minutes application process through the app for me.

Are you based in the UK?

No, in the US and that’s why the wait I guess.  They rolled out the service to other countries first, but you didn’t have to jump through hoops to verify who you are??  They wanted pictures of my drivers license, social security card, physical address and I think even passport.  I’ll see if I can find the email and see what they wanted but it was too much.  

The state of Texas just opened a bullion deposit bank where they hold the exact bars and coins you send them separate from anyone else’s.  In the future they plan on adding pooled accounts and cards for spending linked to your holdings so you can use it as a way to bank all your savings in gold instead of fiat dollars or pounds.  That’s something that sounds interesting to me.  I’d trust a state government over a phone app I think.....even a state as crazy as Texas!!

Edited by Ryland

3 minutes ago, Ryland said:

No, in the US and that’s why the wait I guess.  They rolled out the service to other countries first, but you didn’t have to jump through hoops to verify who you are??  They wanted pictures of my drivers license, social security card, physical address and I think even passport.  I’ll see if I can find the email and see what they wanted but it was too much.  

The state of Texas just opened a bullion deposit bank where they hold the exact bars and coins you send them separate from anyone else’s.  In the future they plan on adding pooled accounts and cards for spending linked to your holdings so you can use it as a way to bank all your savings in gold instead of fiat dollars or pounds.  That’s something that sounds interesting to me.  I’d trust a state government over a phone app I think.....even a state as crazy as Texas!!

No I.D provided at all.

Just name, D.O.B, address, email and phone number.

May be something to do with KYC in the US?

Edited by mr-dead

But......I’ll say it again that this has already been tried many many times and is I fact the basis of banking and every time when things fall apart in an economy or government when you go to collect your gold or silver it just isn’t there.  They start by holding it 1-1, then they move the ratio to maybe 10-1 holdings to deposits because not everyone wants their gold at the same time.  Then they start lending the reserves and paying you interest on your deposits that they’re lending out and then it all goes to hell and you ha e today’s modern banking system that uses no gold at all and is all money breathed into existence by central banks based on nothing!

With the Texas bullion depository because they’re holding 1-1 right now and insuring the deposits through Lloyd’s of London against all scenarios, you have to pay a quarterly fee to the bank based on .50% of your deposits.  As long as they’re charging you and Insuring it, it seems safer to me.  Glint makes all their money on transaction fees correct?  Do they insure the gold holdings?  Do they store on a 1-1 ratio?

Edited by Ryland

20 minutes ago, Ryland said:

Just found the info they wanted, see for yourself!

1304C1AD-154C-4167-80EF-24B41748DCC9.png

D7D344A8-1BF7-4953-A147-2A3D327567BF.png

Nothing like that for the UK, looks like the KYC process to me.

I have no plans for this app to replace my core physical gold holdings, its just a little side line that lets you almost trade gold and spend the proceeds immediately with a master card.

Made an account a while ago put a little in the now probably going to use it to save each time to an ounce. I find it a lot harder to put an amount each month into a savings account till its gets to the price of an oz. this way should be easier. 

596EFC1E-44B4-435D-B074-FBFFACB4FA3B.png

whenever I do an @  i cant get out of the blue box to type afterwards ?

Was just going to say that your app is currently linked to GBP, if you want to spend gold you need to click the little card to the left of it.

Admin feel free to delete my multiple empty posts ?