• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bought Silver, and now Gold?

Kleiner

Hello friends,

A while ago I bought five monster boxes of silver when I came across this silver and gold world. I did little research and then just decided to empty my bank account. Now afterwards I wondering if I did something right, I mean who the heck buys five monster boxes of silver when he or she have never had a silver coin in the hand before? However, I think my wealth is more secure now than before. 

Now to the main question:
I have approximately 60000 euro left and I thing maybe I should buy gold for a least 40000 euro (50 x 1oz 2018 Philharmonic). What is your advice? Please I appreciate legible response since English is not the best language I speak.

Also I wondering what a sovereigns coin is? Is the Philharmonic a sovereign coin?

BTW I am stacking for long term. 

Best Regards,
Kleiner   

6 minutes ago, Kleiner said:

Thank you.

But what it the difference between sovereigns coins and for example the philharmonic (bullion)?

A sovereign is a specific kind of UK gold coin. Bullion is the general term for all coins whose value is because of their precious metal content.

So sovereigns are bullion, a philarmonic is bullion, but a philarmonic is not a sovereign.

Most bullion coins come as 1oz or fractions of an ounce. A sovereign is a but smaller than 1/4 oz

Not sure if that helps?

Thanks for your time.

Alright, but would a purchase of 50 x 1oz 2018 Philharmonic be a good investment?
I mean gold is gold right, and it doesn't matter if it is bullion or sovereign?

Why would people prefer sovereign coins rather than for example the philharmonic 1 oz

33 minutes ago, Kleiner said:

Thanks for your time.

Alright, but would a purchase of 50 x 1oz 2018 Philharmonic be a good investment?
I mean gold is gold right, and it doesn't matter if it is bullion or sovereign?

Why would people prefer sovereign coins rather than for example the philharmonic 1 oz

It's easier to sell a sovereign than it is a 1oz gold coin, one reason being the cost.

2 hours ago, GeorgeWoodall said:

It's easier to sell a sovereign than it is a 1oz gold coin, one reason being the cost.

Another it being more of a known quantity to the regular public too.

I suppose the main question is how the OP intends to sell their stack when the time comes. If it's to a dealer then 'gold is gold', but if it's to the wider public then something like a sov might do better. You'll probably get rid of the sovereigns faster at a good price than the Philharmonics (but that might be my bias, I find that coin a bit blegh)

5 hours ago, Ares said:

Another it being more of a known quantity to the regular public too.

I suppose the main question is how the OP intends to sell their stack when the time comes. If it's to a dealer then 'gold is gold', but if it's to the wider public then something like a sov might do better. You'll probably get rid of the sovereigns faster at a good price than the Philharmonics (but that might be my bias, I find that coin a bit blegh)

Then how would you spent the money I mentioned earlier? (Only in gold)
Which coins should I consider? I only want non-circulated ones.

That's a huge sum to invest so I wonder why you would only consider one coin? Why not diversify a bit?

Some gold coins also have semi-numismatic interest. e.g. the Queen's Beasts series. The margin on buying is higher than some other bullion but it's possible they might sell for a 20 to 50% margin in a few years time.

I would take some time to look at all the gold coins out there and see which ones you really like. Even if you put the bulk into a basic bullion coin you can afford to put at least some of the money into coins that you actually like the look of and which might do well in the future.

The sovereign is a good coin in the UK. They are tax free to buy and sell. They are very popular - fairly easy to sell and buy.

What is good in the UK may not be good in Hungary.

Why do you only want non-circulated coins?

Philharmonics are basic gold coins - they are like Krugerrands. Philharmonics are not collectible coins - people will only buy them for the gold. There are coins which may appreciate more and develop collector potential. Perhaps the Queen's Beast coins - the 1/4oz could be good. You will pay a little more but i think they have potential to make more money. i would not bother with Philharmonics unless they have special tax treatment in Hungary.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

hello, my I suggest , and this is  from someone who is also fairly new to precious metal /stacking too with a fraction of your investment fund to make/made ,you don't rush into any purchase until you are more familiar to what constitutes a good investment in gold in what ever form that takes for  either for wealth protection or future gains. being here will help a lot but I feel you need to know more especially in your comment  about the silver purchase "Now afterwards I wondering if I did something right" the oracle here called Numistacker has lots of videos on you tube which are worth a watch , in regards coins , etc ,.

anyway hope you don't mind the advice ,  I am still learning too so know your dilemma

dean.m

I'd also consider your own personal enjoyment factor too. While it might be very useful to have a technically more efficient stack (depending on your goal), i'd hate to have that stack be something I'm not particularly keen on. 

That's just me though, it'd probably make it harder to sell when the time comes, but it'd be worth it for having something pleasurable to own.

1 minute ago, Ares said:

I'd also consider your own personal enjoyment factor too. While it might be very useful to have a technically more efficient stack (depending on your goal), i'd hate to have that stack be something I'm not particularly keen on. 

That's just me though, it'd probably make it harder to sell when the time comes, but it'd be worth it for having something pleasurable to own.

I think it would make it easier to sell........... collected a lot of nice coins so how do I bring myself to sell.      Bullion sovs I wouldn’t worry about selling

2 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I think it would make it easier to sell........... collected a lot of nice coins so how do I bring myself to sell.      Bullion sovs I wouldn’t worry about selling

Each to their own I suppose, i've got favourite sovereigns I don't want to sell, but the ones i'm more ambivelent about (i'm looking at you 2009) will be going for the chop as/when :)

On 31/07/2018 at 12:28, Kleiner said:

Thank you.

But what it the difference between sovereigns coins and for example the philharmonic (bullion)?

Sovereign: 7.98 grams - Carat: 22 carat. Contains 7.315 grams of pure 24ct gold. 

1 oz Philharmonic: 31.1 grams - Carat: 24 carat. Contains 31.1 grams of pure 24ct gold.

Pure gold is 24 karats. As a practical matter it is very difficult to refine production coins to perfection. Thus the highest gold purity in gold bullion coins is typically 99.99%, which is read as .9999 fineness. Pure gold is a very soft metal making it easy to work with but easy to deform with pressure.

22K gold coins are tougher and potentially more wear resistant, than 24K coins.

Hello,
Just wanna thank you all for taking your time and giving me advice made of gold, I appreciate it!
As I mentioned earlier, I'm new to this type of business, therefore I din't even know what a sovereign coin actually is. BUT, after cheeking it out, my God I love them, specially this.
So basically I should buy both sovereigns and bullions, right?

What do you guys think of this list?
Bullions
KRUGERRAND 1 oz GOLD 2018,   SOMALIA ELEPHANT 1 oz 2018
PHILHARMONIC 1 oz 2018,   GOLD BRITANNIA 1 oz 2018
Gold Maple Leaf 1 oz 2018,   US Gold EAGLE 1 oz 2018
US BUFFALO 1 oz 2018,   CHINA PANDA 30 GR 2018
Sovereigns

Swiss Gold 20 Francs Helvetia,   Austria Gold 100 Coronas
1871-1913 Germany Gold 20 Marks Prussia,   1877-1902 Sweden Gold 20 Kronor Oscar II
1975-1982 Russia Gold 10 Roubles Chervonets,

Please also let me know if there are better coins for long term invest.

1 hour ago, Kleiner said:

Hello,
Just wanna thank you all for taking your time and giving me advice made of gold, I appreciate it!
As I mentioned earlier, I'm new to this type of business, therefore I din't even know what a sovereign coin actually is. BUT, after cheeking it out, my God I love them, specially this.

Not a sovereign, its a Swiss coin.  Sovereigns are made by the UK Royal Mint (for the sake of this conversation) and look like theseAll the coins you listed are bullion. 

People like Sovereigns because of liquidity and to sell in small amounts with low premium over spot.  I gather from your circumstances thats maybe not an issue, selling back at ounces at a time when required.  But you may like them and want to fill a treasure box with them :D

Archived