• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

LACKLUSTRE & WEIRD & UGLY COINS & BARS

Thought I would start a topic on some of the coins and bars that we think are really naff or just lacking at so many levels like the designers just couldnt be bothered, or just plain hideous looking.

First up is some of the Star Wars coins out there, now I am a fan of the original trilogy and rogue one (cant stand the other new releases), this theme should be so good that it makes me want to dip my foot into the coin world, but some of the latest coins out just make me think 'is that it' :huh:, take for example this Stormtrooper coin, I actually dont mind this design, its ok, but then they bring out the most bland  2 oz coin out I personally think is naff, they could of put some detail on the background, the rim, had different finishes and textures like on the the first coin, but no, it might just be me, what do you guys think and what stuff out there do you think there is more life in a cup of tea.

I totally understand for every item out there, there will be a 1000 haters and a 1000 lovers, its just your personal thing, and I dont mean to diss anyones pride and joy, at the end of the day I would have any of these if given to me at spot price as a stacking coin.

Original design, not amazing but not terrible and a bit artsy in the drawing of the stormtrooper, I would own this, just.

2017-Darth-Vader-Star-Wars-1-ounce-Silver-Bullion-Coin-3.thumb.jpg.a1f1ab8e7f55ab7781a40257b785fa01.jpg

2018-Stormtrooper-Star-Wars-1-oz-Silver-Bullion-Coin-3.thumb.jpg.4c50d50b66e320b174e7d91a5e16c257.jpg

Then they bring out this :(, bland, badly drawn coin, 

storm3.thumb.jpg.9db3a0bf83a15b91be2e0f4e1c9f3fe9.jpg

And this, he just looks like an old turd on a bad stretch of road to me

solo.thumb.jpg.5deba37af28f77ebdbf0a3ea59f846cb.jpg

And poor old Jabba just looks like a melted spitting image puppet, wouldnt pay a premium for owning a gold coin like this.

Niue-Islands-25-1-4-Oz-Gold-Jabba-the-Hutt-Star-Wars-2018-Proof.thumb.jpg.e91cf92a7b2d67f814222935902ca1c3.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I was just emailing a friend from here about some of these coins.

To my great surprise I dipped my toe in with the Marvel series and ended up loving them, so will now collect them all - good designs well realised and produced imo. Too many of the Niue coins look like 'toy money' to me - e.g. despite the reverse design the Darth Vader and the first Stormtrooper. The finish and attention to detail/care for me is just not there - surprised Disney let them through as the Steamboat Willies are far better imo. Their Athenian Owls are cheap but again it's like toy money - the look of the aluminium small change I used to get in various Asian countries.

I think this dog looks worse, now the coin I like, its just the dog, animals sometimes look like that when they are dead and have been baking in the sun and the muscles dry out and make them arch back like that as they tighten, you see it on fossil dinosaurs all the time,  this dog I suspect died of rabies too.

153648_Slab.jpg.55650f8edb42e0a64354d37c73356a8a.jpg

3 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Yeah if I knew what the coin was to start with :lol:

you dont need to know, you upload the picture to reverse image search on google.

It finds a match to the image then you can click the links to see the reverse.

p.s. its a lunar series coin so there are matching designs out there too.

I really like all the Star Wars coins, I think the oddness of some is from the photography.  A lot of coins seem to look flat in stock photos, then you see video or independent pictures and their true image is shown.  

But there is no excuses for the zombie dog. 

The coins that do nothing for me i'm afraid are US.  Many of the older designs look like they've been done by a gifted amateur, and the modern the Eagle with its big looping wings looks all wrong to me. I like the walking liberty side though.

8 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

£76!

Hope you love it a lot. ;)

Thanks, but where from? I'd buy one - I've witnessed very many worse purchases at higher prices on here, that are only worth melt and that folk expected to profit on. This one I would keep and enjoy - it's not all about profit and flipping (at least not for me) :)

6 minutes ago, Martlet said:

I really like all the Star Wars coins, I think the oddness of some is from the photography.  A lot of coins seem to look flat in stock photos, then you see video or independent pictures and their true image is shown.  

But there is no excuses for the zombie dog.

Absolutely 100% agreed about Zombie :wacko:

Do you have some of the Star Wars coins in hand? I was really, really disappointed with the first two myself so I've given up on them. I thought they looked much better in pics myself - I'm surprised Disney cleared them under the licence.

8 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Do you have some of the Star Wars coins in hand? I was really, really disappointed with the first two myself so I've given up on them. I thought they looked much better in pics myself - I'm surprised Disney cleared them under the licence.

Only the bullion not the "Classic" range. Its a general observation about pictures, I've seen some of the Jabba and Yoda that show far more depth than those NZmint publish.

Archived