• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New to buying gold

silverbeaker

First things first as the title explains i am new to gold, have been buying silver for a little while but i view gold as a better long term store of wealth (pension, rainy day etc).

At the present time i am looking to stack for gold content against numismatic value but never say never. 

To cut a long story short my question is why am i finding sovereigns (gold content) cheaper than pure 24k gold coins? For this reason alone i have chosen sovereigns as my coin of choice over and above even brittanias etc.

Am i correct is this assessment?

silverbeaker

Bullion sovereigns are about as close to spot as you will get while at the same time ticking all boxes of being fractional (so easy to sell a small quantity of gold), CGT+VAT free, highly liquid, internationally recognised.

7 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

Bullion sovereigns are about as close to spot as you will get while at the same ticking all boxes of being fractional (so easy to sell a small quantity of gold), CGT+VAT free, highly liquid, internationally recognised.

Thanks for the quick reply, in that case i think my decision is made.

out of interest is there any particular reason that sovereigns come in so much closer to spot?

You just can't beat sovereigns love the different years and monarchs , pre 33 American gold (20dollars) also seems to be a steal to me at the moment to especially if you like historical coins like me ? more cost effective to get more than 1 sov at a time tho to save on postage 

7 minutes ago, Kieran95 said:

You just can't beat sovereigns love the different years and monarchs , pre 33 American gold (20dollars) also seems to be a steal to me at the moment to especially if you like historical coins like me ? more cost effective to get more than 1 sov at a time tho to save on postage 

I too am growing to love them, that coming from someone that only has 1 x 2018 sov.

looking to pick up a few older ones too soon. Picked up my current sovereign from atkinsons so thankfully no postage to pay on that. 

From all you sovereign experts out there are there any particular years/monarchs that can be picked up near spot that are of special interest or just plain beautiful to look at? 

2 hours ago, silverbeaker said:

First things first as the title explains i am new to gold, have been buying silver for a little while but i view gold as a better long term store of wealth (pension, rainy day etc).

At the present time i am looking to stack for gold content against numismatic value but never say never. 

To cut a long story short my question is why am i finding sovereigns (gold content) cheaper than pure 24k gold coins? For this reason alone i have chosen sovereigns as my coin of choice over and above even brittanias etc.

Am i correct is this assessment?

silverbeaker

Just do exactly as @mr-dead does and you'll be fine;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

8 minutes ago, silverbeaker said:

Care to expand on that?

sound like you should know your stuff too @sovereignsteve

No problem, I was expecting that, or perhaps another member expanding my statement for me:)

@mr-dead is a bit of a celebrity on here. He made a pile from bitcoin and similar and has now bought a mini fort knox worth of gold bars; something ridiculous like 400 ounces or  more. No doubt he or someone else will correct me if I'm a little inaccurate!

As to myself; thanks but I'm more of a sovereign collector than stacker.

sorry if my answer was a little flippant and tongue-in-cheek:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

40 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

No problem, I was expecting that, or perhaps another member expanding my statement for me:)

@mr-dead is a bit of a celebrity on here. He made a pile from bitcoin and similar and has now bought a mini fort knox worth of gold bars; something ridiculous like 400 ounces or  more. No doubt he or someone else will correct me if I'm a little inaccurate!

As to myself; thanks but I'm more of a sovereign collector than stacker.

sorry if my answer was a little flippant and tongue-in-cheek:)

@sovereignsteve cheers for that, but dont put yourself down. I am 100% certain you know more about the subject than me!! Haha. Not planning on being much of a stacker myself unless my financial situation improves drastically, just looking to diversify my assets a bit and buy some beautiful coins along the way. Its a win-win in my book ?

Archived