• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Roman Coins

Gildeon

I am opening a new topic for this type of coins, to see if there is any interest. Also ordered my second one, a Siliqua from Julian II (360-363):

RO_SQ_02.jpg

Added 0 minutes later...

On a second thought this maybe should be in the Silver section, I leave it to the admins to move it if they think so.

Instagram: gildeon_67

Sounds good, just thought that all these may be too many for one topic and decided to make it more targeted. There can certainly be more of course and if there is enough material we can ask a new section from the moderators. ?

All these are great ideas and we could ask for a separate thread, if there is enough material.

On 26/07/2018 at 16:23, CosmikDebris said:

How about an Ancient coins thread? Anything over 300 years old say.

300 is not so old to call "ancient" I believe, we are talking from 18th century here. Something like up to 1500 AD would seem more appropriate. But this is a matter for discussion of course.

I will be sending some of these coins for grading in the near future, let's see what happens. ? 

Fascinating topic!

I would say 'ancient' would be the 'dark ages' and before, maybe even only from before.

(Whether the dark ages actually existed or have been inserted into our history is another topic entirely! :ph34r:)

On 28/07/2018 at 15:37, mustynewb said:

What kind of prices have you been paying for those coins? I might try and pick a couple up in various states. 

Since I am quite new in this, I have decided to stay between 50-100 € total price for such coins. And I want them to be in a descent state as well.

I also try to buy only from big dealers or sellers with very good feedback.

1 hour ago, Gildeon said:

300 is not so old to call "ancient"

I agree. The reason I suggested 300 years is because of The Treasure Act of 1996. Coins over 300 years old and containing more than 10% gold or silver are deemed treasure and property of the crown if found. But yes, the timeline and title would be up for discussion, it was just a suggestion.

Had me looking at some many coins recently. Although more at the greek coins, Alexander the great. Maybe a little bit pricier coins are from 200'ish BC and silver. Any idea what NGC would charge to authenticate put in a slab etc?

Not sure i'd do it for value added, more of display and piece of mind if i pull the trigger on one of the many coins i'm looking at (for more than a price of a sov!).

Good choice but research carefully first, as I see that prices can vary a lot. Especially silver tetradrachms are impressive coins and prices can skyrocket. You don't need to go for a difficult or high collectible coin, rather choose a good specimen in the low end of prices, to start with. I have decided not to go for more expensive ones, until I acquire more knowledge.

There are two main tiers in NGC, Economy and Standard. I will be probably going for the Economy initially, at least for coins below 100-150€. You can see details below:

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ancient-coins/

I believe I will be sending my first bunch to Numistacker in the next submission, so you will see some in the video. My focus area is Byzantine and Late Roman (after 330 AD) silver coins. 

Yeah I've seen vary from £80 to over 1000 for these coins on fleabay. Some of the American dealers seem to be alot cheaper than the UK even after you factor in postage and import taxes. Some are even already ngc certified. If you're paying £100 for this that makes the price from the is even more tempting.

I'd just hope that alot of good feedback and ngc being real I'd get a good deal.

I've been looking at a couple of imperial Roman coins which are in the BC age wise. Will have another look tonight.

Picked up the coin the from post office this morning. It's around the size of a half sovereign. Might add it to numistackers next batch of submissions. Will try and get some more pics later... Scale with the 10ounce Queens beasts might be funny.

Archived