• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Uneven edges on 10oz Griffins - poor quality

SouthCoastInvestor

7 hours ago, Gordon said:

I got a mint sealed 2005 proof sovereign this last week of ebay and when i opened it it looked like this. I was able to return it thankfully 

DSCN4942.JPG

When you say it was Mint sealed - what precisely does that mean ?
Was it inside a RM clear plastic bag thermally sealed ?
If just inside a screw capsule that wouldn't mean anything.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

When you say it was Mint sealed - what precisely does that mean ?
Was it inside a RM clear plastic bag thermally sealed ?
If just inside a screw capsule that wouldn't mean anything.

I assumed he meant it was in a mint-sealed plastic bag, you see a lot of them on ebay.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 hours ago, augur said:

It seems to be struck slightly off centre and the excess silver then squeezes past the gap. It seems fairly common, even with older sovereigns 

maybe the blank was too big or the dies were set too close together?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

14 hours ago, SouthCoastInvestor said:

I spotted it immediately through the capsule.  I ordered 20 of these - but most of them seem to have the same problem to a greater or lesser extent.  It must be a poor quality batch.

Where are they from ?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, StackerNoob said:

Just wanted to reignite this thread (took me hours to find!). 

Check my latest video for a look at the edges of my 10 oz QB Lion. This seems to be a ongoing quality control issue. I didnt buy direct from the mint, but Im wondering if they will acknowledge this issue and replace?

@SouthCoastInvestor

Nice video @StackerNoob, looks like you have the same problem on your Lion as I had on my Griffins.

I did not try to send any of mine back, these are bullion-grade coins, it would be different if they were sold as proof or proof-like, in which case it would definitely be a problem.

It was a bulk purchase from GS.be and at the time the price per oz for these was the same as their "coin bars" - so it was probably some of the cheapest new VAT-free silver available, with added benefit of being CGT-free if re-sold and with a  potential for premium growth, hence was an investment decision - but premium upside may be limited if buyers insist on ones without the edging problem ….

I have the same problem with my lion 😡 I only realized when I got my dragon and griffin from the group order. The only reason I noticed is because the lion seemed to be very loose in the capsule compared to my dragon and griffin. I wouldn’t be bothered if I bought it cheap but it cost me £200. Oh well, you win some you lose some with bullion coins.

2 hours ago, Beano said:

I have the same problem with my lion 😡 I only realized when I got my dragon and griffin from the group order. The only reason I noticed is because the lion seemed to be very loose in the capsule compared to my dragon and griffin. I wouldn’t be bothered if I bought it cheap but it cost me £200. Oh well, you win some you lose some with bullion coins.

In the long run I dont think it matters to much. Unless you plan on getting it graded it is just bullion at the end of the day. I still think these ones will hold a premium as the series comes to a close.

2 hours ago, SouthCoastInvestor said:

Nice video @StackerNoob, looks like you have the same problem on your Lion as I had on my Griffins.

I did not try to send any of mine back, these are bullion-grade coins, it would be different if they were sold as proof or proof-like, in which case it would definitely be a problem.

It was a bulk purchase from GS.be and at the time the price per oz for these was the same as their "coin bars" - so it was probably some of the cheapest new VAT-free silver available, with added benefit of being CGT-free if re-sold and with a  potential for premium growth, hence was an investment decision - but premium upside may be limited if buyers insist on ones without the edging problem ….

Cheers mate.

I might email them and let them know that the community has discovered a minting issue and what would the recommend. Ill leave it open ended and see what they say.

I think it's shocking myself, but if people accept it (and it seems to me since I started stacking in 2016 that people will accept more and more real problem coins, bullion or even premium supposedly 'specials') then it'll just go further downhill.

Seems like they can just chuck out absolute rubbish and don't care because people still buy them and don't kick up any sort of fuss. It's 'just bullion' doesn't wash at these sort of premiums for me.

37 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I think it's shocking myself, but if people accept it (and it seems to me since I started stacking in 2016 that people will accept more and more real problem coins, bullion or even premium supposedly 'specials') then it'll just go further downhill.

Seems like they can just chuck out absolute rubbish and don't care because people still buy them and don't kick up any sort of fuss. It's 'just bullion' doesn't wash at these sort of premiums for me.

Well I might kick up a fuss to see what happens. I have emailed them for a comment so lets wait and see for now...

16 hours ago, StackerNoob said:

Just wanted to reignite this thread (took me hours to find!). 

Check my latest video for a look at the edges of my 10 oz QB Lion. This seems to be a ongoing quality control issue. I didnt buy direct from the mint, but Im wondering if they will acknowledge this issue and replace?

@SouthCoastInvestor

Thank you for bringing this up,as I was not a member of the forum when first discussed,I had a good look at mine with a magnifying glass.And all seems to be A1 :)

I was particularly concerned about the Lion as I payed £225 for it. So I would have the complete collection since I was late to the party.The reason I haven't taken them out of the capsule is to be honest I can't work out how to open them.And I don't want to use to much force in case I damage them.

So i checked my 10oz Lion today and found that it had some difference in thickness on one side while the rest looked normal (looking through the capsule). Can't speak to how the edge is as the capsule is on fairly tight and I don' have the patience to carefully de-lid it.

I will be getting the other 2 10oz coins sometime soon so I'll have a look at their thickness and report back.

But, as a random guess, I'd say that the reason for the large variety of thickness is maybe due the upper half, ie the the main face of the beasts, being so detailed and in order to achieve this they have to put more pressure on the coins? Spit-balling here.

Archived