• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Uneven edges on 10oz Griffins - poor quality

SouthCoastInvestor

24 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I've had my fair share of 100lb beasts :(

Like riding a scooter...great fun but you don't want your mates to find out ?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

'Riding a scooter'? You're not that amorous chap who was caught in public last year getting jiggy with his bicycle are you? :o

2 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I got a mint sealed 2005 proof sovereign this last week of ebay and when i opened it it looked like this. I was able to return it thankfully

to the ebay seller or the mint?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The ebay seller as he said it was mint condition

yes i've always thought that ebay sellers who do these are potentially leaving themselves open to fraudulent buyers who want to dump damaged proof coins (NB in no way saying you are doing this!:))

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

I've never seen anything like that, how on earth did that blank get through QC? :wacko:

Well there is obviously always the coin that must not be named...

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

To be fair 100lbs is skinny, its the ones approaching 200lbs you dont want to tell your mates about.

Still talking about scooters here, obviously ?

He was fine with me returning it and had a few of these coins so im thing he had seen this before. But now i will get any sellers to open the coins before sending as you can not be sure of the quality of these mint sealed coins

46 minutes ago, augur said:

Well there is obviously always the coin that must not be named...

Lol...the thread on that one is an absolute classic on here (at least since I joined) and I'll never forget it :lol: On the other hand someone sent me one of these illegal coins for Christmas and I am working closely with the Ghanaian authorities to hunt this miscreant down :ph34r:

:P

41 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

To be fair 100lbs is skinny, its the ones approaching 200lbs you dont want to tell your mates about.

Still talking about scooters here, obviously ?

I found the 200lb scooters to be quite comfortable. I am a skinny chap meself so riding a 100lb felt like playing a xylophone with your whole body...200 lbs gets you a lot of comfort padding, suspension, and of course bigger handles :)

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Lol...the thread on that one is an absolute classic on here (at least since I joined) and I'll never forget it :lol: On the other hand someone sent me one of these illegal coins for Christmas and I am working closely with the Ghanaian authorities to hunt this miscreant down :ph34r:

:P

I found the 200lb scooters to be quite comfortable. I am a skinny chap meself so riding a 100lb felt like playing a xylophone with your whole body...200 lbs gets you a lot of comfort padding, suspension, and of course bigger handles :)

And unusually for scooters, you get a nice set of airbags too!

4 hours ago, kimchi said:

I've never seen anything like that, how on earth did that blank get through QC? :wacko:

You could keep it, get another one, and then pretend to be the Uri Geller of the coin world :)

The coins are not themselves bent or wonky, it is only right at the edge that there is a height variation - there is a raised rim all around the edges, and it is not even.

4 hours ago, Bullionbilly said:

Ive had many of these 10oz beasts and thats the 1st ive seen of imperfections... maybe a error coin and worth a fortune ? . On a serious note, did you spot it through the capsule or when you removed it ?

I spotted it immediately through the capsule.  I ordered 20 of these - but most of them seem to have the same problem to a greater or lesser extent.  It must be a poor quality batch.

1 minute ago, SouthCoastInvestor said:

I spotted it immediately through the capsule.  I ordered 20 of these - but most of them seem to have the same problem to a greater or lesser extent.  It must be a poor quality batch.

Can you tell if the coin was struck at an angle or the die was off centre (or both)? That was at least the problem with the coin that must not be named. 

16 minutes ago, augur said:

Can you tell if the coin was struck at an angle or the die was off centre (or both)? That was at least the problem with the coin that must not be named. 

It doesn't look off-centre, maybe there was a slight angle, it is difficult to tell.  Right at the very edge there is a hair's width of metal that sticks up all around - you can feel it with a finger, and where it sticks up higher it can be felt even more, and could be called "sharp" because it is so thin - it was catching on the cotton gloves when I handled them.

Archived