• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's the point of capsules?

Hi guys,

I'm starting to get a nice stack going but I'm starting to get fed up with capsules.

All of my stack is capped (except a Perth dragon  bar I couldn't find a cap for) and I'm not sure if I want to bother continuing to cap them.

I've had a bunch of them break on me now because they were too tight for the coin and it made me wonder why I'm even bothering to use capsules.

The only reason I bought caps for each coin is because they were listed on the coin's page or recommended at the checkout.

I can understand using them on collectable coins / gold / platinum / palladium / etc because they are much more valuable but it seems like it's a waste of time for silver bullion.

What reasons are there to use them?

Thanks for any advice.

As with other topics, the answer to this question depends on what kind of stacker you are.

If you stack just to have silver bullion tucked away then yes, capsules are not really needed. However, if you "stack" coins with any sort of numismatic value (could include anything you consider collectable, like a date run of maples or somethng), then capsules might be a good idea to help preseve the premium on the coins.

At the end of the day, when you come to sell, if you offer two coins to the buyer, one spotted, scratched and dented, and the other in perfect as new condition, which one do you think they will pick, regardless of the spot price of silver?

On a personal note, I dont always use capsules but all my coins have some sort of protection. If they arent in capsules they are in tubes. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look after your personal posessions.

Its a bit like having sofa arm covers, or mattress protectors or something. Some people have them to prevent wear, but its a purely personal choice.

I don;t put ecerything in capsules, only the nice stuff. For me that includes the Dragon bars (I got capsules for these from Eldorado coins, but I think goldsilver and european mint do them too). My generic Britannias are in a slowly filling tube, some of my prettier sterling coins sit in a drawer where I can look at them.

Checkout recommendations are classic upselling :)

I find it weird that almost all of my silver coins in capsules dont fit, 1kg year of the Dragon, 10oz queens beasts and issues from perth mint rattle in there capsules, not sure if this will cause scratching 

Weird thing is I have one round the Dragon from the Destiny series and this fits in its capsule like a glove, so two of the top mints cant get theres to fit but others can.

I originally assumed it moved because it needed some air in with it for some reason, I guess the best capsules have inserts to protect from movement.

Just seems a shame paying hundreds of pounds for a coin that doesnt fit its capsule.

Does this also happen with gold coins?

33 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

As with other topics, the answer to this question depends on what kind of stacker you are.

If you stack just to have silver bullion tucked away then yes, capsules are not really needed. However, if you "stack" coins with any sort of numismatic value (could include anything you consider collectable, like a date run of maples or somethng), then capsules might be a good idea to help preseve the premium on the coins.

At the end of the day, when you come to sell, if you offer two coins to the buyer, one spotted, scratched and dented, and the other in perfect as new condition, which one do you think they will pick, regardless of the spot price of silver?

On a personal note, I dont always use capsules but all my coins have some sort of protection. If they arent in capsules they are in tubes. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look after your personal posessions.

Its a bit like having sofa arm covers, or mattress protectors or something. Some people have them to prevent wear, but its a purely personal choice.

I'm not sure what kind of stacker I am yet, as far as I'm aware I haven't bought any coins with numismatic value except maybe the Nieu Star Wars ones.

I'm still new to this hobby so I have a lot to learn about what kind of coins are valuable and why, etc. Which is why I joined up here :)

I haven't bought any non-silver PMs yet but if I do they will definitely be getting capsules.

It might just be that the last batch of capsules I got were terrible and it's clouding my judgment of them.

21 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

I don;t put ecerything in capsules, only the nice stuff. For me that includes the Dragon bars (I got capsules for these from Eldorado coins, but I think goldsilver and european mint do them too). My generic Britannias are in a slowly filling tube, some of my prettier sterling coins sit in a drawer where I can look at them.

Checkout recommendations are classic upselling :)

I've capsuled everything except my dragon bar so far (I'll need to look for those capsules) but I don't think I'll be doing it for Britannias or Eagles or similar in the future (unless it's a really nice one like the orientals or anniversary coins).

I've been storing my coins in a jewellery box that is divided up into little sections that are the perfect width for capped coins but I have no idea if it's suitable for non capped coins.

Some of the checkout / product page recommended coin capsules I got weren't even the right size for the coin they were meant to be for haha.

13 minutes ago, Bagenz said:

I find it weird that almost all of my silver coins in capsules dont fit, 1kg year of the Dragon, 10oz queens beasts and issues from perth mint rattle in there capsules, not sure if this will cause scratching 

Weird thing is I have one round the Dragon from the Destiny series and this fits in its capsule like a glove, so two of the top mints cant get theres to fit but others can.

I originally assumed it moved because it needed some air in with it for some reason, I guess the best capsules have inserts to protect from movement.

Just seems a shame paying hundreds of pounds for a coin that doesnt fit its capsule.

Does this also happen with gold coins?

I don't mind the rattle if the amount of movement is miniscule, I prefer it to capsules that are too tight for the coin. I'm not really sure what it is the capsules protect the coins from myself so I'm not sure if there being air in it or not matters.

I only have silver just now so I'm not sure about gold coins but if I was to I would make absolutely sure that it came with a capsule that fits or that I can get one elsewhere because gold coins are much more valuable and it's not something I want to take any risks with.

I keep nearly all my coins and bars in capsules, original seals or tubes.  I'm in the middle of transferring my numismatic coins to Saflips, which is taking ages but I think it's worth the effort. You never know, a few years down the line, a particular bullion coin in good condition may attract a premium.  Just touching a coin on the faces without gloves can leave acidic deposits on the coin which can affect it over time.  For me, it's a combination of a hobby and an investment, and I like to keep everything in as good a condition as possible.  it is personal choice though and I can understand why someone else may choose not to capsule bullion.

30 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

This. ☝️

We send our single coins out in capsules for a couple of reasons; primarily as it limits the handling on our part and it provides protection to the coins which means they reach you in the best condition possible.

Rather than up sell capsules at checkout, we provide them for free (apart from the 2oz Queens Beasts coins as they have very specific capsules which we provide at cost). 

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

18 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

I've capsuled everything except my dragon bar so far (I'll need to look for those capsules) but I don't think I'll be doing it for Britannias or Eagles or similar in the future (unless it's a really nice one like the orientals or anniversary coins).

The 'special' Brits like Orientals come in caps already, like the more premium coins.

The only stuff I cap are coins for the kids to help them keep them nice/look more appealing as a gift, like the Nieu Star Wars and Steamboat Willie.

If I was buying tubes to flip individually on ebay I'd get cheap caps as they're better presented as singles.

If in doubt you can always cap later, just store stuff properly :)

Around 80% of my stack is in capsules. The only ones out are ASE's/philharmonics/Libitads/generic rounds. If I'm at a coin fair or shop I avoid any Britannias/Perth Mints without caps as I feel they have a bit more numismatic value over standard bullion. All of my gold is in capsules apart from my sovereign. 

The stuff I'd consider showing to others goes in a capsule, as does any gold or older or numismatic silver. The rest of my silver goes into tubes, as do all my copper pennies. If I can't find a direct fit capsule, then I'll put it in the closest size that fits.

Archived