• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any questions for The Edinburgh Assay Office?

Hello all - production is well underway for the 100g Silver Forum Bars (an update coming on those this weekend!)

And similarly to last year I will actually be hand delivering these to the Edinburgh Assay Office for Hallmarking (it is cheaper to fly 16kg of silver to Edinburgh (Twice!) than it is to post it!)

Last time I went I made a VLOG of my trip and it was an amazing day out. I got to meet a lot of the staff up there and had a tour of the Assay Office. 

This year we are going one step further. I am having a sit down with the CEO of the Edinburgh Assay Office and will be trying my hand at some journalism! 

So, if you have any burning questions that you would like to know the answers to then please let me know. It should make a really interesting interview and give a lot more depth and understanding to what hallmarking is and why it is so important. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

I suppose the most obvious one would be how many tons of silver do they hallmark each year. more usefully, what sort of strong room, and what make and model of alarm system. ;)

Perhaps also some detailed schematics of the building and blueprints too - would look good on my 4k camera I bet. 

3 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Hello all - production is well underway for the 100g Silver Forum Bars (an update coming on those this weekend!)

i would like to pre-pre-order my usual numbers please.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

If you're spending any time in Edinburgh, I would recommend Mother India in Infirmary Street, never had a bad meal there, kind of an Indian take on tapas and about ten minutes walk from the Assay Office.

Wrt the assay office I'd be curious about what fraction of stuff they test is jewellery, what pieces they see most often, and if there's a particularly high or low turnover in terms of new people/companies starting up or quietly vanishing into the ether

4 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Also worth a walk up King Arthur's seat ☺️

Absolutely, that's my front garden (well I suppose I share it with the Queen).  Stick to the regular paths though, easy to get into a spot of bother as I found once when I decided to come back down a different way.  Used to go up there for the bells until it got too popular.

4 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

what sort of strong room, and what make and model of alarm system. ;)

I'd scout out the next door premises and see if there are any posters of Raquel Welch about :ph34r:

@PansPurse why do you put a mini discussion on 'snowflake' in your signature?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Being from Edinburgh myself, I recommend trying your hand at the Rose street pub crawl...31 pubs in just under a mile! The rule is one alcoholic drink per bar/pub, one day to do it. Ive never met anyone who has managed it. I tried it once and even tried being clever and having a half in each bar. I got 13 in and collapsed!

10 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

Being from Edinburgh myself, I recommend trying your hand at the Rose street pub crawl...31 pubs in just under a mile! The rule is one alcoholic drink per bar/pub, one day to do it. Ive never met anyone who has managed it. I tried it once and even tried being clever and having a half in each bar. I got 13 in and collapsed!

A very good pub to mile ratio that, very good indeed :)

13 pubs and only a half at each and you gave in? :o

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

A very good pub to mile ratio that, very good indeed :)

13 pubs and only a half at each and you gave in? :o

No shame there IMHO. I've nothing like the alcohol tolerance I had as a student, but even me in my prime would probably be struggling by the dozen mark ?

1 minute ago, MickD said:

Now, If you'd made a day of it and spread it out over 12 hours or more...................

Added 0 minutes later...

And stick to session beers............

Nah dude, Im a go hard or go home kinda guy

...in this case I went home.

I think if I tried it now, I'd have to be carried home, and the wrath at the other end wouldn't be worth it, however, I could always attempt it with her...........

Royal Mile/High Street might e more achievable on halves and a bit more scenic

14 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

Works out to 6 pints and a bit in about 2 hours, too much for this lightweight Im afraid!

But you said you had the whole day! My goodness I've heard of a lack of planning in my time (been guilty enough of it myself), but c'mon! :wacko:

15 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

No shame there IMHO. I've nothing like the alcohol tolerance I had as a student, but even me in my prime would probably be struggling by the dozen mark ?

A dozen half pints in a few hours at your 'prime'? Ye gads...

12 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

Nah dude, Im a go hard or go home kinda guy

...in this case I went home.

So basically you're a 'go home' guy?

Shocking.

@kimchi @StackerNoob @MickD @PansPurse

Thanks for all the tips! 

Basically - contribution from the forum for the interview, "Where is the best placed to get thoroughly sloshed in Edinburgh" ?

Sadly I am there just for the day and cannot partake on this visit - but I will take notes for a future bender!

2 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

@kimchi @StackerNoob @MickD @PansPurse

Thanks for all the tips! 

Basically - contribution from the forum for the interview, "Where is the best placed to get thoroughly sloshed in Edinburgh" ?

Sadly I am there just for the day and cannot partake on this visit - but I will take notes for a future bender!

Blimey, another lightweight, this one won't even have a pint :(

3 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

There was an incident at a beer festival that we never speak of...

I would quite like to speak of it. Fill us in please. What did you have, a whiskey chaser?

Possible question for CEO- How is business generally for them ? Are they finding an increase in demand for their services or decline. Also what do they think seperates them from other hallmakers?

The Rose street brewery used to do their own 90 shilling if I mind correctly, potent stuff on draft.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Archived