• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What imagery and design features would you like to see on rounds and bars?

Bimetallic

Hi all -- I know some of you are "silver is silver" types, and on some days I feel the same way. But on other days I think it would be cool to have gorgeous rounds and bars.

Designs I'd like to see would feature Isaac Newton (not the fat version of him they put on British currency, but the lean and intense portrait), Albert Einstein (with or without his tongue sticking out), the Apollo 11 launch, Wyatt Earp, a dad showing his daughter how to use a telescope, Frederick Douglass, a generic rocket launch, and a few others.

Obviously the persons could be on one side, and some kind of imagery on the other (e.g. space launches, telescope, etc.).

Those are just a few ideas I have. What would you like to see?

I would like to see something like the Golden State Mint / Silver Shield Gadsen snake but as it appears on the flag instead of looking like its coughing, also some coins with other flags would be cool too.

I'd love it if there was a series with knights, samurai, soldiers, etc of different time periods. Start with Romans / Spartans and work through the centuries. I'd prefer if they were "legal tender" of some kind though, I don't know why but I like being able to tell what country they are from just by looking at them.

3 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

The complete kama sutra, could make for a very long series.

245 coins! .... I googled that, honest ??

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

If you're purely interested in stacking bullion coins as cheap as you can get them I can certainly understand the "silver is silver" mentality. Personally I don't see why you can't still have attractive designs on bullion coins, of course the fancier you get the longer it takes to produce and more premium you end up with. Having said that, if it's an unlimited mintage it could make sense, the design on the American Eagle hasn't changed in over 100 years, much to the chagrin of American collectors.

>the Apollo 11 launch
That reminds me, it looks like we're going to get a 50th anniversary Apollo 11 coin https://www.usmint.gov/news/design-competitions/apollo-11

I'd like to see certain historical figures get more recognition, for instance Æthelflæd, daughter of Alfred the Great who retook Derby from the invading Vikings after which Leicester surrendered and the Viking leaders of York offered her their loyalty. I only learnt of her and other significant figures in British history from watching Simon Schama's history of Britain-says a lot about our schools.

Possibly something celebrating the exploits of Victoria Cross winners? Their stories are amazing.

On 18/07/2018 at 13:05, DrKarlMoneys said:

If you're purely interested in stacking bullion coins as cheap as you can get them I can certainly understand the "silver is silver" mentality. Personally I don't see why you can't still have attractive designs on bullion coins, of course the fancier you get the longer it takes to produce and more premium you end up with. Having said that, if it's an unlimited mintage it could make sense, the design on the American Eagle hasn't changed in over 100 years, much to the chagrin of American collectors.

>the Apollo 11 launch
That reminds me, it looks like we're going to get a 50th anniversary Apollo 11 coin https://www.usmint.gov/news/design-competitions/apollo-11

I'd like to see certain historical figures get more recognition, for instance Æthelflæd, daughter of Alfred the Great who retook Derby from the invading Vikings after which Leicester surrendered and the Viking leaders of York offered her their loyalty. I only learnt of her and other significant figures in British history from watching Simon Schama's history of Britain-says a lot about our schools.

Possibly something celebrating the exploits of Victoria Cross winners? Their stories are amazing.

Please no on the moon landings. Just please, no.

Please yes on new coin designs from the U.S. mint. I'm all for recycling, but no more reusing old designs, like St. Gaudens, etc. The high relief Liberty gold coins, for example, are beautiful coins, and aren't recycled designs.

Some satirical coins. Think:

ASE but with the walking liberty morbidly obese

A chavvy britannia with fag in hand and a push chair

A Queens beast corgi edition. 

Landmarks of Britain - some run down council estate

A Somalian elephant lying dead on the ground while poachers steal it's tusks 

3 hours ago, RacerCool said:

Please no on the moon landings. Just please, no.

Please yes on new coin designs from the U.S. mint. I'm all for recycling, but no more reusing old designs, like St. Gaudens, etc. The high relief Liberty gold coins, for example, are beautiful coins, and aren't recycled designs.

Why no on the landings? Well, actually we were talking about the Apollo launch, not the moon landing. Are you anti-space?

Just now, Bimetallic said:

Why no on the landings? Well, actually we were talking about the Apollo launch, not the moon landing. Are you anti-space?

I'm not anti-space (haven't heard that phrase before, actually), but I think the moon landings were phony, at least as they were shown to us. If they went to the moon, it wasn't that way.

47 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

I'm not anti-space (haven't heard that phrase before, actually), but I think the moon landings were phony, at least as they were shown to us. If they went to the moon, it wasn't that way.

[Citation Needed]

@RacerCool

Video 1: Well, we don't have the technology anymore. Making a Saturn V rocket isn't a simple case of ordering one from the rocket company, there was a huge assortment of contractors. One of the reasons the Shuttle program was cancelled was because of the huge cost in maintaining the supply chains for all the parts, irrespective of whether the shuttles were actually launching. Could we build an equivalent heavy-launch vehicle, sure. We have the technical understanding but building it today means starting from the ground up, hence things like the space launch system and Falcon heavy. Maintaining space technology is expensive and it's really a use it or lose it.

Video 2: Same point as above.

Video 3: This comes up a lot and basically comes down to a misunderstanding of the impacts of radiation on biological tissue. The Apollo missions were carefully planned to minimize exposure to the Van Allen belts both by spending very little time in them (radiation is much more dangerous over prolonged exposures) and deliberately aiming for the thinnest areas in the belts. Analysis on the Apollo astronauts actually indicates they received more radiation outside the earth's magnetosphere than they did from the Van Allen belts. (https://history.nasa.gov/SP-368/s2ch3.htm). Is it sensible to test a spacecraft before putting people on it, absolutely. And no we can't just copy the Apollo craft because Orion is a completely different vessel, different size, shape, potentially different planned orbits. Also it's electrical systems will be completely different to what they used in the sixties, and radiation hardening is an important thing to test.

Yes I know that there are countless other supposed inconsistencies (and I really don;t want to get into a lengthy discussion on this) but, believe me, I've spent a good amount of time looking at them and they pretty much all come down to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the physics.

21 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

@RacerCool

Video 1: Well, we don't have the technology anymore. Making a Saturn V rocket isn't a simple case of ordering one from the rocket company, there was a huge assortment of contractors. One of the reasons the Shuttle program was cancelled was because of the huge cost in maintaining the supply chains for all the parts, irrespective of whether the shuttles were actually launching. Could we build an equivalent heavy-launch vehicle, sure. We have the technical understanding but building it today means starting from the ground up, hence things like the space launch system and Falcon heavy. Maintaining space technology is expensive and it's really a use it or lose it.

Video 2: Same point as above.

Video 3: This comes up a lot and basically comes down to a misunderstanding of the impacts of radiation on biological tissue. The Apollo missions were carefully planned to minimize exposure to the Van Allen belts both by spending very little time in them (radiation is much more dangerous over prolonged exposures) and deliberately aiming for the thinnest areas in the belts. Analysis on the Apollo astronauts actually indicates they received more radiation outside the earth's magnetosphere than they did from the Van Allen belts. (https://history.nasa.gov/SP-368/s2ch3.htm). Is it sensible to test a spacecraft before putting people on it, absolutely. And no we can't just copy the Apollo craft because Orion is a completely different vessel, different size, shape, potentially different planned orbits. Also it's electrical systems will be completely different to what they used in the sixties, and radiation hardening is an important thing to test.

Yes I know that there are countless other supposed inconsistencies (and I really don;t want to get into a lengthy discussion on this) but, believe me, I've spent a good amount of time looking at them and they pretty much all come down to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the physics.

I appreciate your response, but since this isn't the thread for it, I won't continue with this particular topic. But since I don't buy into what they've told us concerning all of this, I get sick of seeing it celebrated.  Which is why I don't want to see it on coins.

By the way, do any of you have any idea how the gold kinebars are made? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinebar)

They add holographic-looking, colorful imagery to the back if the bar for security / authenticity. Could this process, whatever it is, be used on silver?

I'd like more classic designs.  General design and imagery in modern times is too too busy, or trying too hard to make some point or other.  Classic designs have history and purpose, so more coins along the lines of the Athenian Owl and Trade Dollar. 

Archived