• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello, I'm a new member from the United States

CoinCrazyGuru

Hello to one and all. Found this website by chance doing some information sifting about Rwanda Wild Life coins and up pop a very good conversation about the subject. Looked further into this website and found it quite informational. Now a little bit about me. I've started precious metal stacking several years ago and have put a far amount away for my two daughters should/when that time arises. My Father was a stacker as well and at his passing I inherited his poke as well. Now I have branched out into Mexican Libertads and Rwanda Wild Life. Looking forward to contributing when possible, but find I'm more of a reader. Thanks to the powers that be for allowing me to join. Much appreciated.zSEcHuY.jpg

Signed,

Todd

1 minute ago, MickD said:

Hi, I'm from Edinburgh (the original one).

Scotland. Right. Please forgive me if I'm wrong. Geography is not one of my strong suite. But if I'm right I understand your country is quite lovely. The wife and I are so hoping to take a trip to the UK sometime in the future.

1 minute ago, JCRJM said:

Hi and welcome to the forum :) id like to branch out to libertads to, when the budget allows :))

Ah, yes. The budget. I'm some what restricted in that field as well. I realize my funds for my addiction thru money I squirrel away from my biweekly paycheck. I work a lot of overtime which affords me the habit I have.

Aye, Scotland, I think there are a few Edinburghs elsewhere.  I like the libertads too but can't collect everything.  I have started collecting 8 reales though, arguably the original dollar although the thaler may have a claim.

2 minutes ago, CoinCrazyGuru said:

Ah, yes. The budget. I'm some what restricted in that field as well. I realize my funds for my addiction thru money I squirrel away from my biweekly paycheck. I work a lot of overtime which affords me the habit I have.

I have recently got a job and im paid weekly so try to buy a few ounces a week atleast. Since stacking i do waste a lot less on pointless stuff. Meals, gambling etc.

I had a few thalers. See if my memory is all there. .I'm familiar with restrikes. The coin was used for conducting trade in countries of North Africa. Minted by the Austria Mint. Possibly? Here in the United States our history has had the Mexican Peso as the original dollar when the west was first settled. Than the Morgan dollar came along later. Not many people know this.

All dated 1780,  there are millions of the Maria Theresa thaler around, think they were/are very popular in the Middle East/ North Africa .  I have some, still nice for being a bullion coin.  I have a really nice Swiss hunting thaler dated 1869, unfortunately a repro.   Dutch daaler may also have a claim to 'dollar', another nice chunky crown size coin but a wee bit out of my price range. I'm guessing mexico mint 8 reales were the predecessor of the peso.

1 hour ago, MickD said:

All dated 1780,  there are millions of the Maria Theresa thaler around, think they were/are very popular in the Middle East/ North Africa .  I have some, still nice for being a bullion coin.  I have a really nice Swiss hunting thaler dated 1869, unfortunately a repro.   Dutch daaler may also have a claim to 'dollar', another nice chunky crown size coin but a wee bit out of my price range. I'm guessing mexico mint 8 reales were the predecessor of the peso.

You are right it was the Mexican 8 reales.

Hey Todd welcome aboard! I just joined within the last month. Awesome website. Yes there seems to be some great information and these people here are very knowledgeable. I am interested in British Sovereigns so lucky for me to have found this site???

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Hey Todd welcome aboard! I just joined within the last month. Awesome website. Yes there seems to be some great information and these people here are very knowledgeable. I am interested in British Sovereigns so lucky for me to have found this site???

Thank you for the greetings and welcome to you as well.

Hi and welcome. The Scots had a silver dollar (Ryal) in circulation in the reign of Mary Queen of, circa 1542, not sure if this was the first dollar around?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

You might be right Stu, they do say the Scots invented everything ?

I have a couple of Charles II Scottish quarter dollars, 1677 and 1681 but very few coins going back to 16th century.

Used to have an antiques fair round the corner every month which was good for a browse  but they've stopped doing them now and Edinburgh doesn't have much  in the way of coin shops.

Always interested in Scottish hammered coins if anyone wants to sell/exchange for bullion/swap

Hi and welcome to the forum.  These guys and gals are a great bunch of people. I have put faith in a few and NEVER been HAPPIER. 

I am a American living in the UK thanks to Uncle Sam and the USN. 

I have been here for over 2 decades!  But back to the forum, No one will nit pick on a topic but will offer advice, help, and Genuine support. Such as if your unable to obtain something and we have it is a coin or round. Honestly you won't be disappointed.  

@CoinCrazyGuru  welcome to the forum Todd! ?

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

1 hour ago, jonrms said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.  These guys and gals are a great bunch of people. I have put faith in a few and NEVER been HAPPIER. 

I am a American living in the UK thanks to Uncle Sam and the USN. 

I have been here for over 2 decades!  But back to the forum, No one will nit pick on a topic but will offer advice, help, and Genuine support. Such as if your unable to obtain something and we have it is a coin or round. Honestly you won't be disappointed.  

Jonrms, thank you for your service to our country.

Thanks to all that have welcomed me. Can't wait to contribute.

Archived