• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is an Arabic 1?

TheGoldSovereign

So I've seen a few of these but I think only from PCGS, what is it? I've had a close look and don't see much difference....

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

The Arabic "1" looks just like that.

A Roman I is actually like a capital i with a serif on all 4 corners.

The variation on quite a few Victorian coins is an Arabic 1on top of an inverted Arabic 1which looks a lot like a Roman I

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I've just received an "Arabic 1" slabbed, I don't understand it looks like a 1, maybe the serif is larger but what punch is apparently used to make it different?

Hopefully a few interesting coins to report on in the next week, not posted for a while but filled some gaps in the collection :)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

What sovereignsteve and i am trying to say is that there is no difference to see since the Arabic 1 is used by default and it shouldn't have gotten a special mention in the first place. 

The Roman 1 is the exception to the norm. 

In the font used by the Royal Mint the Roman 1 is like the letter I with serifs on all four corners. The Arabic 1 is missing the serif on the top right. When the engravers at the Royal Mint by accident punched the 1 inverted on th die and then overdated the inverted 1 with a correct 1 you end up with what looks like a Roman 1 or I. This overdate or a Roman 1 deserves special mention. 

40 minutes ago, sg86 said:

I've just received an "Arabic 1" slabbed, I don't understand it looks like a 1, maybe the serif is larger but what punch is apparently used to make it different?

What coin are you talking about?

In most cases, the Arabic 1 is the standard variant and the Roman is the anomaly. Not always though, some are about 10:1 or less, although in many cases the relative distribution is unclear.

PCGS just label it as Arabic 1 to differentiate from the Roman. They do this mainly with coins where there is a roughly even distribution between the 2 variants.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

That is exactly the answer I was looking for, why the hell label it different when it's the same as every other shield!

Is it only PCGS that do this or NGC as well? It shouldn't be labelled different imho.

The Gold Sovereign

It's not consistent though, either label them all this or none as it confuses the end user

The Gold Sovereign

Archived