• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Piedfort Sovereign Design

westminstrel

2018 Piedfort Sovereign Design - What say you?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will it have the 65 privy or not?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/18 at 16:35

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Many people seem to like the slabs, it is not for me on coins I hope to keep - I find it ruins my enjoyment of coins where I love the original presentation (when The RM gets it right - when they don't send them back!), but we are all different :)

That's true but I also find the slabs easier to store, although I do have a safe so size isn't a problem, we will see tomorrow what the coins are like, this will be my first ever Piedforts, missed out on the 2017 ones.

PROUD to be TRANSRACIAL.

Biology IS bigotry.

Coronavirus is made up and no-one has died from the imaginary virus.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it’s out: https://www.thecoinconnection.co.uk/product/the-piedfort-sovereign-2018-gold-proof-coin-box-coa/

Mintage: 2,675

Except for the 65 privy, I don’t think it’s particularly significant (regular packaging etc.) especially given the fact this is going to be an annual thing.

Anyway, to those of us who guessed right, congratulations, we think like marketing people :)

9 hours ago, westminstrel said:

And it’s out: https://www.thecoinconnection.co.uk/product/the-piedfort-sovereign-2018-gold-proof-coin-box-coa/

Mintage: 2,675

Except for the 65 privy, I don’t think it’s particularly significant (regular packaging etc.) especially given the fact this is going to be an annual thing.

Anyway, to those of us who guessed right, congratulations, we think like marketing people :)

More like, we think sensibly, and once in a blue moon the RM has a 'whoopsie' and actually does the right/sensible/obvious thing too!

Mintage is OKish - roughly expected, the privy was pretty essential imo, looking forward to getting mine myself :)

16 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

yawn......................:(

Last time I tried to sell a coin I put it in tne the wrong section received a few telling offs, still don't know which one it is.

As per the Royal Mint:

• A limited release of just 2,675 coins, a much lower Limited Edition Presentation than the 2017 version

So buy people, buy!!! :)

Jokes aside, not a nice way of trying to impress upon the value of something you’re selling by subtly diminishing the value of something else you already sold.

No comparison between the 2017 anniversary first ever piedfort sovereign and this year’s. It is not all about mintages. This year does represent a special year and there is a one off design in the form of the privy mark, so it will have desirability but I do not want to get into a “got to have every piedfort year design.” And if you throw in the BU £5 piece every year........

I did get the premium 2018 3 coin proof set all graded PF70 and the sotd 2018(waiting to hear what grade it got). That’ll do me for this year. Got everything from 2017 (all DPL70 or PF70s and those and the 2018 will form a core keeper hopefully.

Personally I am happy with it, I honestly like the design of the 2017 better but I missed out on that so I got 2 of these, I think they will do well.

PROUD to be TRANSRACIAL.

Biology IS bigotry.

Coronavirus is made up and no-one has died from the imaginary virus.

With the privy I think it's the perfect addition to the 2018 Proof and Sapphire Coronation SotD as a 'set', looking forward to mine very much :)

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

As per the Royal Mint:

• A limited release of just 2,675 coins, a much lower Limited Edition Presentation than the 2017 version

So buy people, buy!!! :)

Jokes aside, not a nice way of trying to impress upon the value of something you’re selling by subtly diminishing the value of something else you already sold.

Yes that was unnecessary by the Mint, they always get something wrong...

3 hours ago, xthomasx said:

By the way: Any news about the George 5th birthday SotD?

It still hasn't sold out if you want one, be aware though there's a chance Charles' 70th in November (?) may see the same coin released again.

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

It still hasn't sold out if you want on, be aware though there's a chance Charles' 70th in November (?) may see the same coin released again.

I pre-ordered one (in time, I hope) but did not hear anything from them ever since. Once SotDs are struck, they were shipped very fast in the past two years. Just wondered about the delay this time...

8 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

I pre-ordered one (in time, I hope) but did not hear anything from them ever since. Once SotDs are struck, they were shipped very fast in the past two years. Just wondered about the delay this time...

They were still selling them a day or two ago so you should be fine but probably best to give them a call. I see today they can't be bought and they say 'awaiting stock' which sounds rather ominously like they could be waiting for returns (they should already be in stock!).

Coin Connection have one left so personally I'd order that asap and cancel your order with the Mint if you want one.

I'd also have it graded so that if they issue the same coin for Charles later in the year (70th birthday so 700?) your coin is authenticated for what it is.

Hope that helps :)

29 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

Aha!

11 minutes ago, Goldmick said:

Im getting mine from the coin connection on here ive got the 2017 one and gunna get the 2018 but that will be it for me i think 

I'm thinking the same - this one has enough going for it (mintage and crucially the privy) so if this is an annual issue as it looks now this surely must be the second key one after last year.

If there's a 70th Coronation privy so much the better!

7 minutes ago, silverbeaker said:

Question for you as a gold noob trying to gain knowledge....

Is the quite considerable premium for the Piedfort worth it going forward? 

The honest answer I think is - we don't know, we are in uncharted waters here, collector sentiment is very much divided so far it seems.

21 hours ago, kimchi said:

I'm thinking the same - this one has enough going for it (mintage and crucially the privy) so if this is an annual issue as it looks now this surely must be the second key one after last year.

If there's a 70th Coronation privy so much the better!

The honest answer I think is - we don't know, we are in uncharted waters here, collector sentiment is very much divided so far it seems.

Let's see how long it takes this time for a sell out. In the UK the collector sentiment may be divided, but I guess fewer people in US would be interested this time.

I still don't see the point of a piedfort annual series but the future may laugh at this comment. Maybe RM will do next one at 70. As demand wanes due to lack of exciting "new features" year over year, the mintage will likely be reduced year over year as well. I don't think we're close to the key date yet.

10 minutes ago, *tada* said:

Let's see how long it takes this time for a sell out. In the UK the collector sentiment may be divided, but I guess fewer people in US would be interested this time.

I still don't see the point of a piedfort annual series but the future may laugh at this comment. Maybe RM will do next one at 70. As demand wanes due to lack of exciting "new features" year over year, the mintage will likely be reduced year over year as well. I don't think we're close to the key date yet.

It should easily sell out this week. It will sell out. I don't think the timeframe is indicative of anything necessarily. What is not happening (I am pretty sure) unlike last year is people buying multiples (even 5+) for an obvious flip - they have skipped this. I don't think the absence of flippers and so a longer sell-out will hurt this issue myself (in fact perhaps quite the opposite) :)

I think last year is an obvious key, and this year's Sapphire Privy along with the 2018 Proof and Sapphire SotD make this an obvious complementary 3 to try to have a set of. Sentiment is mixed so far but I expect that to be the case once the dust settles.

Know what we need...A plain-edge Piedfort SOTD with privy BU and an accompanying COA with misprint mintage and stating it is Proof. That would be the penultamate key date Sovereign! 

I did put an order in for the 2018 Piedfort Sovereign from @TheCoinConnection to keep my 2017 Piedfort company...I really do like the Piedfort!

I personally think The Mint might have shot themselves in the foot with this one and the George SOTD but I might be wrong.

A mintage figure of 1,500 would have been about right in my eyes but I'm not sure this one will even be a one month sell out - just my gut feeling after two quick fire SOTD's.

I think The Mint are bleeding the Sovereign to death and it might come back to haunt them.

Hell hath no fury like a Sovereign collector scorned .......

Why pay £500 for a BU SOTD with 750 minted that will probably stagnate like 85% of SOTD's, when you can buy a nice slabbed Queen Victoria Sovereign MS63 for under £500 where good condition numbers are measured in 10's not 750 and the coin is over 117 years old already.

£800 (Piedfort price) will buy you certainly an 1860's MS62 or MS63 - probably 10 or 20 graded this high and 150 years old.

This new issue lark is getting out of hand IMHO.

Archived