• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What do the forum members think of the UK coin sets that come out every year? I've seen two sets available in recent years - one is the "definitive" set which has all commemorative designs on coins made from base metal and intended for circulation and the other an "annual" coin set which is more like a date set with high quality strikes of coins meant for circulation.

I haven't been buying the sets, but I do love the designs of most of the bimetallic 2 pound coins!

Related question, which one of the below would you rather have an MS 65 DPL or an MS 67 without the DPL designation?

15314199937841805194487.jpg

The definitive sets don't have all the commemorative coins in them they have the basic design coins that do not change every year

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/annual-sets/the-2017-united-kingdom-definitive-coin-set/

Some commoratives are included in the annual coin sets but even then it's not all of them

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/gifts/fathers-day/The-2018-United-Kingdom-Brilliant-Uncirculated-Annual-Coin-Set/

"The only way to own a selection of 2018 Brilliant Uncirculated commemorative and circulating coins"

Both sets are bu but are available in proof as well

doesnt dpl basically just mean it's shiny ?

• 4 months later...
On 12/07/2018 at 19:31, NewMSmatist15 said:

What do the forum members think of the UK coin sets that come out every year?

I think that if one looks at a few sets over a few years/range - not much appears to change throughout!

A few years ago, I inherited from my father, a collection of the annual sets from the royal mint. I had no idea he was into coin collecting, whilst I had been collecting/stacking PM's so as consequence I have an enjoyably large coin collection 

However my collection 1982 to 2018 (yes I have continued to collect the series) the annual sets through out have thrown up some very nice surprises - like the "Kew gardens" BUNC/Proof for one (Highly sort after by collectors)

I have, over the last couple of years back dated/purchased quite a few sets to expand the collection backwards with the intention of completing decimalisation through to the end of the current reign! (bit morbid I know!) but the set I have will have "the longest reigning monarch" on all coins, with the intention to hand this down to my grandson.

Archived