• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My Gold and Silver Refining workshop.

jonrms

My Workshop is nearly finished!!!! yes that's right, I have more than enough safety gear and new kit that makes me very happy.

I am about to be ordering a NEW furnace thanks to the help of BYB who pointed me in a direction I would not have looked.

I am still in need of a few more things to make my new venture different. I am looking at custom molds, but so far the ones I were pointed to were VERY expensive for what I wanted. Although I guess I know they are there.

I have a new Chemical storage facility, which is vented for safety. And I can continue with my wood working and restoration of my motorcycle and of course my other hobbies. IE RC aircrafts and cars etc.

But now despite having all the chemicals I need. I find myself looking and realising that Nitric Acid is off the list. I am yet to determine a solution or chemical method to dissolve Silver without. I don't know what to do with my left over Silver containers which have been in another storage awaiting the treatment. And all the Silver scrap I have.

So if anyone has any ideas. BESIDES selling it. I would be interested to know. Thank you all again. Jon.

17 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

We need pictures! ?

Not yet!!! I still have my sparky coming back to do some more wiring for my fumehood. Also I have my friend who is a mechanic running airlines around the workshop.  And I still need to sort the tempature control out. It might be a full insulation job. 

I am preying it will be very soon because I have only made 2 quick things in the mist of chasos.... but I am sure you will see these soon

What is the issue with nitric acid ?
When I was a kid I had bottles of the stuff ( perhaps 500mL ) in my home chemistry set including the concentrated fuming acid in a ground-glass stoppered brown bottle. At school we had litres of concentrated nitric acid and discovered the reaction when we emptied a large quantity down the classroom sinks which had just been fitted with new copper pipes - who would think copper drain pipes in a chemistry lab was a good idea ?

Hydrochloric acid will dissolve silver but only nitric acid will provide a water soluble salt which is what I assume you want.

Oops - sorry for this error - must be the heat of summer !!

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

What is the issue with nitric acid ?

Nitric acid has (amongst many other useful uses) its purposes in synthesising explosives, which is presumably the reason it got banned. 

1 hour ago, jonrms said:

I am preying it will be very soon because I have only made 2 quick things in the mist of chasos.... but I am sure you will see these soon

Those who pray and preyed upon -

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

[...] At school we had litres of concentrated nitric acid and discovered the reaction when we emptied a large quantity down the classroom sinks which had just been fitted with new copper pipes - who would think copper drain pipes in a chemistry lab was a good idea ?

:lol:

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hydrochloric acid will dissolve silver [...]

No, it doesn't. To the contrary, you can remove patina using hydrochloric acid. But who would want this, unless it is not homogenous.

Yes Nitric acid is now under licence for buisness.  I am not a buisness and do this as a hobby. 

I know Sulfuric acid will disolve silver as well. 

I want to get it to a state of Silver Chloride and then put it under a UV light. 

Gold is not a issue as it's easier to work with. But I have at least 2 10L buckets to refine of silver from last year. 

The Government's have zero clue, they class things as dangerous when In fact if you know how to use chemicals as a weapon than you will know it's VERY EASY to still make simple things, but moving to firearms which I find funny they banned hand guns, but then allowed long barrel pistols. Under section 1 you can own like me a semi automatic shotgun that can chamber more than 3 shots, below that is a section 2.   But that means I could buy a semi automatic AK47 with a 50/ 100 round drum and under my licence restrictions I could have slugs. Really??? Why??? I didn't buy one, I owned a i pump action with 8 shots. 

Sorry rant over, it just cracks me up.

I am using Potassium Nitrate and HCL ( Poor man's aqua Regia) for gold and silver. Tes ting with a pinch of salt before dropping the gold. 

What are you processing for the precious metals?  I regularly get hold of lots of old PCs and laptops.  Some working components I sell on but hold on to things like old motherboards, memory sticks, CPUs etc.  Not sure whether to keep stacking them for a project later on or sell them to someone who can process them.

10 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

What are you processing for the precious metals?  I regularly get hold of lots of old PCs and laptops.  Some working components I sell on but hold on to things like old motherboards, memory sticks, CPUs etc.  Not sure whether to keep stacking them for a project later on or sell them to someone who can process them.

I have many, It's quite complex and I feel OCD in my methods. 

I disassemble say a pc. I strip the parts into categories such as hard drives cables pcbs etc. I then break them down further, removing all cpu  chips any ML chips etc wires are stripped put in a box ie Cooper,  alloy from heat sinks etc are separated and then I deal with the pins and boards. I take the ram fingers and bag them. I later disassemble the Hard drives. 

Very Labour intensive but it's a hobby for me. I have 2 sheds full of computers all separated. Just waiting to start refining again. 

22 hours ago, jonrms said:

I have many, It's quite complex and I feel OCD in my methods. 

I disassemble say a pc. I strip the parts into categories such as hard drives cables pcbs etc. I then break them down further, removing all cpu  chips any ML chips etc wires are stripped put in a box ie Cooper,  alloy from heat sinks etc are separated and then I deal with the pins and boards. I take the ram fingers and bag them. I later disassemble the Hard drives. 

Very Labour intensive but it's a hobby for me. I have 2 sheds full of computers all separated. Just waiting to start refining again. 

I’ve done a bit of that.  I have a fair bit of copper and almost a large wheely bin full of aluminium (mostly heat sinks).  I started pulling gold pins, MLCCs and the little crystal diode things but found it too time consuming alongside running a full time business.  For the time being I sell on what I can and make more money that way than the value in metals I could get out of them.  I only tend to hang on to things that nobody wants to buy.

I can certainly see it becoming a hobby later on in life when I have more time.  I do find it very satisfying breaking everything down.

I take it you have seen eWaste Ben from Australia on YouTube?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Nitric acid is what I'm after too,  I got sulfuric acid here which I could make into nitric but it not very cost effective.

Going back to baning nitric acid, if anyone wanted to make it for explosives you could just get old car batteries, boil the electrolyte to get rid of the water and you left with sulfuric acid which can be made into nitric. 

Archived