• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

coin on Royal Mint web site

kugelblitz

Hi everyone, I'm new to this so I hope this helps.

The coin pictured above (£5) is part of the gold five coin proof set.

The Prince George SOTD sovereign can now be pre-ordered (for delivery later this month):

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/prince-george-fifth-birthday/prince-george-birthday-celebration-sovereign/

I think I have ordered one but I did not find the web page that user friendly (do you have a nickname for your address?), so I phoned up and the guy was very helpful.

The mint is thrashing around trying to find any opportunity to release more commemorative gold coins/"sovereigns" or whatever to screw as much money out of collectors as possible.

I have seen nothing to alter my opinion that time will view these coins with disdain.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

The mint is thrashing around trying to find any opportunity to release more commemorative gold coins/"sovereigns" or whatever to screw as much money out of collectors as possible.

I have seen nothing to alter my opinion that time will view these coins with disdain.

I agree, when stuff is pushed out too often, is all too plain, things get diluted, and you get the opinion what Steve just said, they know how much bullion coins go for so are thinking of ways to get more money out of collectors, lets hope collectors will see through this and only buy coins that have a premium because they are worth it, not because they are just priced as such.

10 hours ago, kugelblitz said:

What coin is this? Can't find it on the royal mint site...

Is it a sovereign?

dsasdasd.JPG

A sovereign with that design on would have been nice. Not sure the lad's 5th birthday is reason enough for a special sov though...

@ Bullionaire
I'm confident this design will be on a special 1 pound sovereign one day.

My guess is that there will be
1) a plain edge sotd sovereign every years from now on;
     a) to celebrate special events of all the family members (without any privy)
     b) a centain day in english history or of queen (with privy); more often in proof but maybe both versios
2) a proof versopn with different design for special days in englands history or her majesty. for queen and country only so to say.

We'll see. I like the mix so far.

1 hour ago, kugelblitz said:

I'm confident this design will be on a special 1 pound sovereign one day.

they'd do well to save it for the Queen's 70th Jubilee (whatever that will be called). Nice little gamble for them;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Its amazing how the mints can put a tiny stamp on a coin and this makes them more money wow.

Some coins with privys are very, very desirable and even new releases can sometimes make good money quickly (should have sold some of my 'Moon Dog' Kook 2018 Privys) :)

Hmm I aint convinced yet, but maybe its because I am a bar stacker, if they put an extra stamp on my bars and made it ltd edition and wanted more for it they could keep them.

Where as if it was one of my guns and it had a rare stamp on it then hmm yes I would pay a little extra so I suppose I understand a little now.

5 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Hmm I aint convinced yet, but maybe its because I am a bar stacker, if they put an extra stamp on my bars and made it ltd edition and wanted more for it they could keep them.

Where as if it was one of my guns and it had a rare stamp on it then hmm yes I would pay a little extra so I suppose I understand a little now.

Yes I'd say that's it :)

With many privys it's the mintage (e.g. just 8000 2017 Panda privys compared to 500 000 regular 2017 Kookaburras). In the Kook case and sometimes elsewhere they are also a slightly nicer strike.

In the case of e.g Sovs they mark a particular, distinct, mainstream issue e.g. the Sapphire Coronation this year.

4 hours ago, kimchi said:

Yes I'd say that's it :)

With many privys it's the mintage (e.g. just 8000 2017 Panda privys compared to 500 000 regular 2017 Kookaburras). In the Kook case and sometimes elsewhere they are also a slightly nicer strike.

In the case of e.g Sovs they mark a particular, distinct, mainstream issue e.g. the Sapphire Coronation this year.

Cheeky sod :P

I see so they are to commerate certain events, thats not so bad then, I can understand that, a FN 1906 pistol made in 1914 like mine cost me about £250, a FN 1906 made same year but marked with un million inlayed with goldwhich was given at some big event to all the weapons designers and bigwigs would probably sell for ££,££££.

Archived