• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Mike Maloney - UK Style

Hi there, 

I am new to investing in Gold and Silver and having bought a few sovs and Britannias to see how nice they are to hold in my hand, I thought I should employ some rigour to my precious investment strategy.

To this end I bought Mike Maloney's book: Guide to Investing in Gold and Silver. It quotes lots of info like:

• When the Gold / Silver Ratio is above 80, but silver, when less than 50, buy gold (pretty universal I guess)
  • Plotting the dow / gold over time to see when one asset is rich vs another and investing accordingly
  • Measuring money supply (plus consumer credit) over time to help gauge inflation.

Not sure if there has been a discussion on this forum that follows similar lines, but UK specific?

Has anyone done similar research in the UK, especially post quantitative easing?

If not, I am happy to go and do the legwork (and share), but thought I'd ask first.

Capescale

I agree to some extent BYB.. - the way he lines up the evidence is pretty one-sided and superficial. I also can't help think the book is a sales-tool for his precious metals business.

Having said that, some of the conceptual pictures are interesting. I'm going to trawl the data for the UK and see what's what. It'll be interesting to interpret events like the UK falling out of the ERM in the context of Brexit.

Will report back and I'll keep an eye out for your next bulk purchase!

Capescale

Mike Maloney has made a lot of money selling dreams of financial collapse and the 'coming wealth transfer'. His business model preys heavily on the keep on stacking mentality of his followers, telling them to buy all the way down from 2011. He has done very well for himself and his success and wealth reminds me of a book title called 'Where are the customers yachts'. 

Some of his information is good, but he is in it to sell gold and silver ultimately so everything he says must be taken with a pinch of salt. 

If playing the GSR people view it simply as silver is cheap or gold is cheap. I don't agree with this as I have said many times. It shows when both are cheap or both are expensive, but the former argument sells more metal all the way up and all the way down, either lots of gold or lots of silver - you never sell, just swap your gold for silver and silver for gold - hence why Maloney pushes it.

I have a quite good impression of mike maloney, particularly the

bit when he says although he has held pms since 2000 and

that he is going to sell when he believes the full cycle has come.

(stating that 2011 was not the time for him to sell). reads well

with some hindsight? maybe. he doesn't always get it right, with

some incomplete data. he is biased towards pms, aren't we all.

overall doesn't feel like the 'out to deceive to get a sale' that you

get with many of the others.

HH

I like Maloney, but as others have stated you must take his forecasts and conclusions with a pinch of salt and DYOR. I think he's completely right to talk about things like the GSR & Dow/Gold when determining relative value, and I like how he takes an investors' mindset of monthly cost averaging and then eventually looking for something to swap out of when metals are much better valued. None of these principles are rocket science or particularly controversial.

I do think that hes jumped onto the crypto wagon too eagerly and would be better served if he instead paid more attention to the commodities sector.

I do not like or dislike Mike Maloney.   Though  IMO Mike Maloney can be put into a group along with others who used to 'peddle' Gold and Silver as it going to the moon  now crypos along with Gold and silver, I call them bucket and spade sales men!  This is not an insult on the contrary these people manage to get themselves in the money flow, with the most inventive ideas using all imaginable hooks from being your friend, to helping you out, imparting knowledge, bringing you news, new ideas etc etc etc.  All of this is to lure you in with there wears and of course they are helping you out. This is very similar to the salesmen of a Gold rush who sold buckest and spades etc, as we all know it was the salesmen who made  most of money not the Gold miners! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to PM and still doing my research. I do like Mike Maloney but like everything in life it cannot be your only source of information.

You can obtain his latest work from following links

Part 1 Understanding Price vs. Value and Cycles (23 min)   https://mega.nz/#!XPAiiKCJ!tl_jwNd76j-nuhO9ZyXkqhs6l9nh3n1T1oIyu-fk9PY
Part 2 Everything Bubble Update (62 min)                               https://mega.nz/#!LPAy3CaY!XbUzjI3rsuWeHBKm-pE3PFKB1qp6kjMXLuBIgaqhVm4 
Part 3 Death of the Dollar Standard Update (31 min)            https://mega.nz/#!DfZiRSjS!qrcPZgxCTxnQofDg8eXvi4ewMEg1MrsZ5Cvo9oBlf7s
Part 4 Cryptocurrencies (61 min)                                              https://mega.nz/#!uCIklQ5D!je0iAu7dMHN28riaK7cueX9QjQmLyzTD2m8CWQ2Wu4E
Part 5 Precious Metals (25 min)                                               https://mega.nz/#!jWYAEAIY!mk6UVXLvzOe9wsv5W0LkPdN4xgEtkKhBRw4ZDUPjNdU

I do like Mike Malony alot actually. It was him who opened my eyes to the absolute scandal of fiat and inflationary theft. I think it is episode 4 of his hidden secrets of money videos (which regardless of what you think of him are very interesting and informative) that talks about where money comes from.

Once you are woke to the fact that fiat money is total nonsense, investing in PMs is a logical choice. I actually found his videos long after I started stacking, but everything he says just reinforces my belief that the PMs are hugely undervalued RIGHT NOW. Its not to say they wont one day be overvalued, at which point Ill flip into a different asset class.

Its that message there that I like from Mike Maloney. He pushes the idea of wealth cycles, which he presents pretty convincing data to support. Right now, relativvely speaking, almost every asset class is overvalued compared to gold and silver. The flip side is to read that gold and silver are now less valuable than other assets. The question you need to ask yourself is, "Do you believe gold and silver are less valuable today than they were 100, 50, 25, even 10 years ago." I know I dont. I believe the greatest property of the PMs is that they hold intrinsic value. They are valuable and hold value unto themselves. The same cannot and will never be said about a fiat note.

Archived