• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Confused about monster boxes

SouthCoastInvestor

I've just purchased a monster box of 200 silver 2oz Queen's Beasts Unicorns (condition “new”) from goldsilver.be for EUR 7040.  I foolishly did not think to compare the price to buying 200 “loose” coins (i.e. putting 200 in the quantity field on the order form) -  which it appears would have worked out even cheaper by about EUR 300. I just assumed that the cheapest option would be a single boxed order.

And when the package arrived the two plastic straps around the box had come apart – they appeared to have cleanly separated at the glue joint, so I cannot be sure the box content is as it was delivered from the mint.

So now I am not sure what the benefit of buying a monster box is.

Is there normally a premium on a monster box vs. the same quantity of coins ordered “loose”?

When ordering a standard quantity of coins (e.g. 500 x 1oz), is a monster box sometimes sent anyway – I would have thought this was the most convenient packing option for the dealer?

What do dealers actually do with these boxes?  Do they open them to confirm contents or to cherry-pick the best condition coins and substitute other new coins in their place?

Is it anticipated that a new monster box purchased from a dealer is always as sealed from the mint? I notice that this dealer is currently advertising a box of US Eagles as “sealed” but none of the others specifically say “sealed”.

Are the plastic straps around a Royal Mint box the plain white ones as mine were or should they have come with security marking?

Do the straps sometimes come apart during shipping as mine appear to have done?

Is there a benefit to having a monster box when selling the coins back to a dealer?  Without an unbroken security seal, I can't see why there would be.

I have no complaints with this dealer - I am happy with the standard of service, and the quality of the coins that I have spot-checked looks OK.  And I have saved a lot on the VAT by buying from Europe.  I am just unsure if I made the best purchasing decision . . . .

Many thanks.

M.

I dont think any dealer would buy an unsealed box of coins without wanting to check the contents first, when you see second had bars on some sites in the UK, it quite often says its been taken out of the original wrapper for testing and has marks on it.

That seems a little odd that the price of the monster box was more then their price for loose coins.

This is probably a pricing error they they have not changed, but I suppose it is not in their interest to change it!

As to mint condition - the contents wereikely verified and checked by the dealer. There would not be any benefit to selling it on to a dealer as a sealed box above what the general value of the coins are (in my opinion and experience). 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Staggering that it is cheaper to buy individual coins as opposed to a monster box, however they may hope that some folks just don't check and score this way! I have heard of the plastic straps coming off but also find this poor quality from the mints, we are after all talking thousands of pounds for this stuff. If your coins are fine then I would be happy, it's a good series but a lot of coins have been spotted / poor quality. Think of it as a lesson learned and think yourself lucky that you didn't buy from a Brittish dealer who would added another 20% at least. Play the long game and I am sure you will do well. Happy stacking. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

In the future try https://www.europeanmint.com

They will price match (although I think they are actually cheaper for QB coins at the moment anyway!) And if you drop them an email and mention that Backyard Bullion pointed you their way they might very well be able to give you a discount on shipping. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I had a friend who worked for a major dealer, they absolutely do check that all the coins are in the box and everything is kosher. You also need to take into account how much the box itself costs as well as the tubes that these coins come in, so all told, it probably makes a little more sense when you take a look at the final price...but not by 300...that I'm not sure of

Monster Box Tubes

• 8 months later...

On 29/06/2018 at 20:52, SouthCoastInvestor said:

I've just purchased a monster box of 200 silver 2oz Queen's Beasts Unicorns (condition “new”) from goldsilver.be for EUR 7040.  I foolishly did not think to compare the price to buying 200 “loose” coins (i.e. putting 200 in the quantity field on the order form) -  which it appears would have worked out even cheaper by about EUR 300. I just assumed that the cheapest option would be a single boxed order.

Just checked on GSBE website, I see QB Bulls at 33,39€/each so 6678€ for 200, compared with the monster box sold at 6939,09€. This is definitely an error. On the other side, the Unicorn is now at 36,35€ so 7270€ for 200, compared with the price you bought your monster box at 7040€. What I think is they maybe did rise the price of Unicorn monster box before rising the price of the single unicorn and you bought it at that time. If I were you, I would send an email to them with your order reference with these facts (better than trying to call them as they often don't reply) 

If you have time on your side

1. Drop an email to GS.be

2. Ask for a delightful helpful CS staff called; Eva

3. Highlight pricing issues,  mistakes, errors, general bad service, bad business practice etc 

4. Buy Popcorn (................+fireworks optional)

5. WAIT :) 🤣

Paul's Personal Disclaimer (Small Print) : 

Your investments are your responsibility
We do not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of reading any of our publications. You acknowledge that you use the information we provide at your own risk.

Information, not advice or recommendations
Our publications do not offer investment advice and nothing in them should be construed as investment advice.  Our publications provide information and education for investors who can make their investment decisions without advice.

The information contained in our publications is not, and should not be read as, an offer or recommendation to buy or sell or a solicitation of an offer or recommendation to buy or sell any securities.  Our publications are not, and should not be seen as, a recommendation to use any particular investment strategy.

Carry out your own independent research
You should carry out your own independent research before making any investment decision. Our publications do not take the specific needs, investment objectives and financial situation of any particular individual into consideration and any investments mentioned may not be suitable for you.  You should not base any investment decision solely on the basis of the information that we publish.

Carry out your own independent verification of facts and data
The information we publish has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and complete.  Although reasonable care has been taken, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish. Any opinions that we publish may be wrong and may change at any time.  You should always carry out your own independent verification of facts and data before making any investment decisions.

Seek professional advice if required
If you are unsure of any investment decision you should seek a professional financial advisor.  UKValueInvestor.com Ltd is not a registered investment adviser and we do not provide investment advice or recommendations. We are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Investment risks
The value of shares can fall as well as rise.  Dividend payments can fall as well as rise. Any information relating the to past performance of an investment or investment service is not a guide to future performance. Share prices may go down as well as up and you may not get back the original amount invested. You should not buy shares with money you cannot afford to lose.

Disclosures
When content is published about a company and the writer own shares or has a beneficial interest in that company, that fact will be disclosed in the article. However, historic articles will not be updated, so any disclosure represents the relationship between the company and the writer at the time the article was written.

In addition to the above disclosure requirements, additional trading restrictions are be followed. These restrictions are that any of our writers:

Should hold a stock they write about which they also own, for at least 10 business days.
Cannot write about a stock two business days before or after buying or selling the stock.

At least you've saved me the trouble of asking, as I was looking at the price of the QB Monster Boxes on GSBe when I read a post the other day mentioning them and was wondering why they were priced higher per unit than individual coins. Seemed like a lot for a big plastic box and some small plastic tubes.

To be honest I would think this is something you would have checked before buying. Shelling out 7k€ without working out the unit cost and seeing how much you were saving (or in this case paying as a premium) over buying individually seems like it should be a first step rather than an afterthought.

In any case in the long run these are likely to appreciate significantly and make the difference largely irrelevant.

When I made this purchase last year I DID compare unit price of the coins with other dealers, but it did not occur to me to compare unit price for the monster box vs. the same loose quantity of coins from the SAME dealer.  That was the problem.

Also I was a complete newbie at the time, hence some of my other questions about the monster box potentially having a premium due to the fact that the coins are all sealed and have not been picked-over by the dealers to extract the pristine examples, which I doubt is how it works, if you order 400 2oz (or 500 1oz) "loose" they will presumably just dispatch a monster box if there is one to hand.

2 hours ago, SouthCoastInvestor said:

When I made this purchase last year I DID compare unit price of the coins with other dealers, but it did not occur to me to compare unit price for the monster box vs. the same loose quantity of coins from the SAME dealer.  That was the problem. 

In that case at least you still paid less per coin than you would have through any other source at the time. Your only regret is that you could have had an even better deal. As regrets go that's not so bad.

Like you I still don't understand why GSBe have their QB monster boxes listed at higher prices than the individual coins. This doesn't seem to be a one-off thing as I've noticed it before and it's still the case today.

I ever experienced buying a box of 100 perthmint coins. Like this case, singles or tube of 20 are priced lower than a full box of 100. I just ordered the cheapest and add comment asking the coins sent in the mint box. Then I got a full mint box of 100 coins at cheapest price.

Archived