• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 proof britannia

stevelo1973

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My coin came today and It’s a really good looking coin. I was hoping to send it for grading but the queen has a couple of dents. One in her cheek and a very small one on her eyebrow ? sad that the mint still haven’t sorted their QC out!

I thought I’d share some photos so you can have a closer look

B7F26A60-700C-4C0F-A75B-2669D9C58C0F.jpeg

40208820-E576-4ADA-A29C-D1BB082647D4.jpeg

F85754DD-CF1E-4E30-9934-595FC5041EA0.jpeg

50A3875A-C5CF-407B-B054-E8487E134B6D.jpeg

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

Shame , cracking looking coin otherwise . Looks much better in your photos than the mints pics

In fact if I had the cash I could be tempted by the 5oz , but I don't so I'll shut up

5 hours ago, terakris said:

I presume you are sending it back for a replacement?

I wasn’t going to but the more I look at it, it bugs me so yep. Going back today!

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

Got mine today... suffered from the "box too deep for the capsule" so arrived out of its capsule. not best pleased. why dont they either make the boxes the right size or bring back screw capsules, especially for proof like items!

7 hours ago, terakris said:

Got mine today... suffered from the "box too deep for the capsule" so arrived out of its capsule. not best pleased. why dont they either make the boxes the right size or bring back screw capsules, especially for proof like items!

Yep mine was also out of capsule too! Did yours have any scuffs?

I like the design of this year's Britannia, to me it's a winner!!

the RM should take care with poof coins, they should go back to screw on capsules, britania silver should be used ESP for the Britannia proof coin!!

Just to show how bad a fit these boxes are. Here are 2 coin holder spacers for smaller coins stacked. As you can see they are about the same height as the coin in the capsule. I put 2 of these under the coin and put it back in the box and it still fits flush. Terrible design on the boxes putting this height coin in there. 

20180706_112034.jpg

20180706_112055.jpg

Wow, this is so bland in design. Not a bad idea and a few nice touches, but the face is completely expressionless and not at all interesting. I wonder if this coin cleared any sort of artistic committee, as if it did they were napping? Honestly, maybe if in fractional form it would be more acceptable - that way the viewer doesn't have to see as much!

Not to beat a dead horse, but this looks like a computer aided design that lacks character. At least last year's controversial design generated some interest, and I have to give it higher marks than this lesser effort.

Sorry all who dont like her, I still stick by my 'I wouldn't get off that till the neighbours complained about the smell' , I liked the coin at the start and its quite a good patriotic design, I agree its a safe design, but still if I was a coin collector this would be in my stack I reckon.

Think the thing is that the RM are always going to find it hard to live up to the 2014 design and any subsequent design will not be as good . But I think this is the best since 2014

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new to collecting, so far all I have is a single 1oz American Eagle. Is this the 2018 Britannia? The 2018 ones I have seen look nothing like this.  I really like the design though.

22 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new to collecting, so far all I have is a single 1oz American Eagle. Is this the 2018 Britannia? The 2018 ones I have seen look nothing like this.  I really like the design though.

This is the proof one. The one you've seen will be the bullion version (her stood up with her trident)

6 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

This is the proof one. The one you've seen will be the bullion version (her stood up with her trident)

Thanks.

Am I right in assuming that proof coins aren't circulated / mass produced and are more of a collectors piece? Or is it a test run for next year's coins?

Sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask.

Archived