• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns........old vs new.

Foster88

Hi all, novice here again. After posting recently about what type of gold bullion to buy, I’m thinking sovereigns are most suitable for me. 

So, having found a relatively reasonable dealer I’m wondering if old is better than new? Victoria, Edward VIII and George V are they better than recent Elizabeth II Sovereigns for the long term investor or doesn’t it matter? 

I know the older sovereigns minted in Sydney and Melbourne with marks can fetch a premium. I used to have an 1880 Victoria Sydney sovereign but sadly had to part with it. But now I’m ready to invest again.

In my opinion, unless you intend to start collecting as opposed to stacking then get whatever is cheapest!  Personally I hold a bit of both, some numismatic and some pure bullion. For me it comes down to price. You need to decide why you wish to hold metals. If you like older coins try Hatton Garden Metals, there premiums are comparatively low.

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/

Hatton Garden Metals charge for delivery whereas Sharp Pixley post for free, which works out cheaper overall. If you're visiting London then Hatton Gardens would be cheaper if buying over the counter but Sharps Pixley also price match.

Yeah you have to watch those postage fees, as some of the cheapest coins have highest delivery costs.   May work out when buying multiple coins, for single coins it can be a big rise in the paid premium.  And watch for the "from" pricing on websites, which are for 10+ or higher, while single digit coins are £10 more.  

11 hours ago, MickB said:

Hatton Garden Metals charge for delivery whereas Sharp Pixley post for free, which works out cheaper overall. If you're visiting London then Hatton Gardens would be cheaper if buying over the counter but Sharps Pixley also price match.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been having a look at Sharps Pixley. Would you consider £239 to be a fair price for a Elizabeth II pre decimal or Edward VIII sovereign? 

I really cannot find any sovereigns cheaper when factoring in delivery. 

1 hour ago, Foster88 said:

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been having a look at Sharps Pixley. Would you consider £239 to be a fair price for a Elizabeth II pre decimal or Edward VIII sovereign? 

I really cannot find any sovereigns cheaper when factoring in delivery. 

I take you mean an Edward VII sovereign. You made me double check their site in case there was an Edward VIII going for £239. I 'd have been straight in there :lol:  

I've been getting my sovereigns from them for a while now as the price is quite fair. You can ask them to see if they have a specific year as well that you may be after.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a good question.  As some say it may come down to price.  Where can you get the most bang for your cash.  Besides that, go to some coin shops and look at both.  Handle both the old and the new.   Bring a low power magnifying glass.  Look at both.  Examine both.  You may suddenly find you prefer one over the other and go THAT way.  Besides that I’d stick with good quality coins that have never been polished or abused because when it comes time to sell you won’t get a quality argument with a nice coin.  That can be old or new.  But if you have a full weight coin that looks like it’s been in a car wreck, you will lose buyers and get notably lower offers from friendly coin shops.  Like melt minus. 

Archived