• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mints Sapphire Coronation 5 Oz Silver Proof Coin

Cking83

Hi all

New to stacking/collecting and wonder if this was this worth getting?

And how best to spot the best coins to invest in, or does it purely come down to mintage numbers and personal preferences?

Hello. I'm also quite new and haven't seen this product. I wouldn't however buy this as I believe this will demand a hefty premium. I try to stick to close to spot as possible and stuff like this is a no go for me. 

I wouldn't buy that coin. Pretty dull design and I don't think the royal anniversary coins usually do very well in the long run. 

As for how to spot coins to invest in, it's hard, but I think looking at series of coins that are mid run and seeing if the prices on the earlier coins have gone up a decent amount. It's not a guarantee of course, but the best way of predicting I know. 

For example, the 2oz queen's beast series. They aren't a huge amount over spot value at launch,  but the first coin's (lion) premium rose quite a bit in the couple of years after release. The new beasts (black Bull and unicorn) might go the same way. Plus they are gorgeous!

Welcome to the forum and stacking/collecting. There is no easy answer to this and nobody knows for certain. Apart from knowing which coin to get you will also need to know how to get rid of it. 

You seem to be mainly referring to modern coins: In general coins from the Royal Mint are overpriced and can be gotten for less a few years after release on the secondary market. Occasionally there are exceptional coins like the 2017 sovereigns that should do well due to their exceptional design. Silver proofs, in particular 5oz and larger, have very little potential; only exception seems to be the 2014 Britannia, which has done well so far (and again the arguably best design made the difference). 

If you want to get silver close to spot with potential, try to get some Queens Beasts VAT-free from Europe – the first designs are starting to demand a premium. 

Mintage seems to be the new bait from the mints but they make up the lower mintage by creating more similar products to maintain the production volume and/or increase the premium so that there is little room for gain on the collectors side. 

The first thing to consider is where you want to be on the stacker-collector spectrum.  Stackers look for the cheapest silver, collectors look for sets and coins of interest. 

The coin you refer to is quite a nice design, it does mark a pretty unique occasion.  At £415 ? its a very steep premium, and a large cash outlay to enter the world of collecting.  Shame they dont seem to do a 1 or 2oz versions.  There are 1 and 1oz coins with a different design, i'd look at those and 2-300 worth of regular coins to kick of the hobby. 

Archived