• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Worst-looking 1oz gold coins

FoolzGold

The RM lunar 'zombie dog' has produced much mirth among stackers (although I have to say that every time I see it I'm more tempted to buy one of the little buggers) but what other stinkers have been released over the years?

I want to limit this to 1oz gold coins. Anyone can produce a crappy-looking silver coin because they're worth peanuts anyway (no offense intended), but if you're going to put a design on £1,000 pounds of finest gold that really shows commitment to your artistry.

I'm still kinda fond of the 2017 proof. It grows on you... like greyscale...

6 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Anything with this portrait IMO, it is just awful.

You have to keep them face down.

I know, I have two of the buggers... for now.

Surely not as bad as the Canadians' portrait?

998453827_ScreenShot2018-06-15at15_32_44.png.ed015dcec1cf9effb3004d2c68790ba5.png

Just now, JunkBond said:

But the fifth portrait is worse, it's how I imagine @kimchi looks when he goes out dressed as a woman. ?

I couldn't possibly comment but I've been told that I look pretty good when I go to the effort (it's the shaving the legs that takes forever with me)

When I was starting this thread I actually had in mind a gold coin I saw once that was some kind of space dog theme that appeared to be based on a child's drawing. I think it was minted in Romania or somewhere like that but I can't for the life of me find it now. If that rings any bells with anyone I'd love to find it again.

8 minutes ago, FoolzGold said:

When I was starting this thread I actually had in mind a gold coin I saw once that was some kind of space dog theme that appeared to be based on a child's drawing. I think it was minted in Romania or somewhere like that but I can't for the life of me find it now. If that rings any bells with anyone I'd love to find it again.

Not gold, only gilded but i think you refer to this coin from Belarus

-8235942160198538722.jpg

3 hours ago, JunkBond said:

But the fifth portrait is worse, it's how I imagine @kimchi looks when he goes out dressed as a woman. :-)

What do you mean 'when'? :blink:

Me and @PansPurse at the London Coin Show, we had a laydeefull time! :) If only he would great rid of that bloody 'tache though I think we may have 'passed'!:

Little Britain TV show...Hilariously FUNNY! "I am a lady ...

2 hours ago, augur said:

Not gold, only gilded but i think you refer to this coin from Belarus

-8235942160198538722.jpg

Thanks, that's the coin I meant but for some reason I remembered it as gold. My bad!

Indeed it's a design that's so bad it's almost great.

8 minutes ago, FoolzGold said:

Thanks, that's the coin I meant but for some reason I remembered it as gold. My bad!

Indeed it's a design that's so bad it's almost great.

Best. Coin. Evah!!! :D

I would absolutely love one of these, anyone get one and/or know where to pick one up? I must have one!

5 minutes ago, kimchi said:

You sarcy sod! I love it - I honestly want one!

I want to believe you so much but I know that a numismatic expert such as yourself would never allow such a monstrosity in his coin cabinet. :-)

Archived