• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Portugalstacker

Advice needed on Old pound coins and old 50p

Hi, 

Does anyone know if banks are still accepting old pound coins. Or is there a process for cashing them in. I have a load and will be in the UK soon.

Also the old 50p is it possible to  deposit them? There's a guy here in Portugal who buys them and says he puts them in his uk bank. But last year my UK bank says no.

Any information or advice greatly appreciated. 

20180614_155150.jpg

20180614_155537.jpg

Old pound coins are fine (make sure you haven't got any rare ones!).

I thought any decimal currency whatsoever was OK, obviously older stuff might take more checking, so surprised to hear about the 50ps, look forward to further answers more informed answers on this!

I was going to suggest over the counter at the Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/exchanging-old-banknotes

But it looks like they don't take coins, only notes :( The BOE site refers us back to the Royal Mint

This is a little surprising to me,  I would have thought BOE would have taken anything is it official British money. Lives and learns

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

I was going to suggest over the counter at the Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/exchanging-old-banknotes

But it looks like they don't take coins, only notes :( The BOE site refers us back to the Royal Mint

This is a little surprising to me,  I would have thought BOE would have taken anything is it official British money. Lives and learns

Yes it is like the Federal Reserve. The US dollar is a Federal Reserve (broken promissory) note - the notes in England are Bank of England (broken promissory) notes. The coinage is Royal Mint, the US coinage is the US Mint. The BoE notes promise they will be exchanged on demand for so and so pounds - and the pound was the gold sovereign. Now had the bankers not maneovered the country into endless wars, had they not inflated the currency away to a relative state of worthlessness, had the traitors not destroyed the productive economy, then the BoE note could well have been worth those gold sovereigns.

i would contact the Royal Mint https://www.royalmint.com/invest/bullion/useful-information/contact-us/

The Sun online posted in January 2018 you could still hand the coins over at banks. By the sounds of it, get your skates on and you will be able to deposit the coins into a UK bank if you hold an account there. Be aware, as with all bank deposits they become the property of the bank and you are a creditor.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4658600/old-pound-coins-swap-bank-exchange-bank-barclays-lloyds-hsbc-rbs-santander/

Leftovercurrency.com would not be taking them unless they could hand them in at the bank.

Edited by sixgun

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I just got back from the UK and wanted to let you know that Barclays in Maidstone kent took all my old pounds and 50p no problem, just had to bag them up.

As for Leftovercurrency.com I can usually pay more than them. I buy Deutsche Marks, pesetas, Belgium francs, swiss francs, Japanese yen, etc etc