• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake silver eagle from eBay.

MickB

17 minutes ago, mikeburns67 said:

Slightly off-topic, but can you still get those coin ID cards?  The website looks to have died a few years ago?

Could prove to be of more relevance than one would think. Dodgy dealings drove them out of business perhaps?

6 minutes ago, mikeburns67 said:

Short of doing a gravity test, is it fair to say that the magnet test is better quick test, or is it more about the dimensions?

It depends on what you have to hand to do the tests. For me, having the card tester and a pair of digital vernier calipers and a set of digital scales gets me the answer i need.

Having the face orientations wrong made it easier to identify as a fake.

5 hours ago, engire said:

Is there a way of recognizing these coins when you only have the photos on ebay (if there are proper ones on there?). Could you spot the fake without measurements, besides the sides being the wrong way?

i took a look at the previous ASE sales by this charlie. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/rangemore_uncirculated_coins/m.html?_armrs=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=eagle&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

He has dished out 34 on that search. The photo put up is meaningless so no way of knowing what you will get.

The coin is fake without drawing breath. No need for measuring, specific gravity or jeweler testing kit. One of the faces is upside down. End of story - fake junk. 

The guy is listing quite a lot of coins and he makes out he did not know this underweight - undersized - upside down gem was not genuine. Maybe he got caught with a tube of fakes and is offloading on the unsuspecting.

i notice a long long description - i have seen this ploy with dodgy coins - sometimes it is hidden in the text. For example i know this character has several ebay accounts selling plate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-WARRIOR-PROOF-silver-medallion-1oz-in-airtite-and-display-box/153053230260?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49130%26meid%3D48cc276dc45647a7b6cf77a414e108aa%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D152910123196%26itm%3D153053230260&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Lots of description - the unwary see 1oz silver but looks closer and you see 1 OZ SILVER COIN *SILVER WARRIOR* Proof, 999 fine silver embossed 1 Troy ounce.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Every thing points to a con artist he states the coins come rfrom a "mint roll"  30+ sales of said coin get your refund and report to trading standards only way that he will be stopped (if they visit him) then he won't be able to sell coins to in most cases novice collectors and dirty their stacks.

14 hours ago, Silverhunter said:

Every thing points to a con artist he states the coins come rfrom a "mint roll"  30+ sales of said coin get your refund and report to trading standards only way that he will be stopped (if they visit him) then he won't be able to sell coins to in most cases novice collectors and dirty their stacks.

And negative feedback to warn other potential victims, thats why a lot of these 'artists' will refund you straight away without quibble and let you keep the garbage, because they dont want any bad feedback or trouble.

6 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

And negative feedback to warn other potential victims, thats why a lot of these 'artists' will refund you straight away without quibble and let you keep the garbage, because they dont want any bad feedback or trouble.

I couldn't leave any negative feedback as I opened a dispute and then eBay withdrew the coin from my purchases list. eBay protecting his and their reputation but he'll carry on because of this.

53 minutes ago, MickB said:

I couldn't leave any negative feedback as I opened a dispute and then eBay withdrew the coin from my purchases list. eBay protecting his and their reputation but he'll carry on because of this.

There is a tab at the top of purchased items where it is something like cases opened or something. You can click this and see the listing, and you can leave negative feedback. 

Happened to me recently, you won't find it on mobile either. 

2 hours ago, zeusss4 said:

There is a tab at the top of purchased items where it is something like cases opened or something. You can click this and see the listing, and you can leave negative feedback. 

Happened to me recently, you won't find it on mobile either. 

Yeah he is right, I left neg feedback when I ordered a holster from a militaria dealer, the picture showed a lovely unissued one, the one I received was full of holes, repairs and was nothing like what they had on their pics, now this firm said there had been some mix up (yeah right I think they were just trying it on)  they told me to keep it (I didnt want garbage or the hassle of trying to get shut of it) and they just refunded me, I thought I couldnt then leave feedback, but a week or two later I was looking around at the console on ebay and found that I could, even though they had cancelled the order and refunded me, so I let them have it.

I managed to get the holster I was after from another dealer and this one was the same as pictured, guess which one below is what the original dealer sent me :angry:

DSCN7195.thumb.JPG.96191c70864d448935f9d3039b9a632a.JPG

DSCN7196.thumb.JPG.554eb16f3defc5686bac43147a5cdbe4.JPG

10 minutes ago, vand said:

Its fake as hell. Why do people bother with ebay? Its not like we don't warn you enough on here.

Lots of fakes but you can also find some good bargains. I picked up a Canada wood bison for £10.50 free post in an auction and sold it last week for £25 

There is some good and trusted sellers on there, I bought my 1st ever bar from Silvertrader on there, yeah I could of bought cheaper from him online, but I wanted the protection that ebay/paypal/feedback system gave me for my 1st purchase from him.

On 16 June 2018 at 08:53, vand said:

Its fake as hell. Why do people bother with ebay? Its not like we don't warn you enough on here.

I was willing to take a risk as I could get my money back if it was proven to be fake. I proved it was fake and got my money back and it exposed the seller as a con artist.

He still hasn't emailed the return label so says it all about him.

1 hour ago, MickB said:

I was willing to take a risk as I could get my money back if it was proven to be fake. I proved it was fake and got my money back and it exposed the seller as a con artist.

He still hasn't emailed the return label so says it all about him.

A lot of faff for 1oz of silver. Life's too short.

If we had a new thread for every time someone got a fake off fleabay...

2 minutes ago, vand said:

A lot of faff for 1oz of silver. Life's too short.

If we had a new thread for every time someone got a fake off fleabay...

Well if it helps new collectors who are new to the forum be more wary then it's worth posting. There are sharks out there who hope they can get away with ripping people off and they probably hope no one mentions what they're doing.

Give it a few more years when silver goes higher and someone wants to sell their coins for the higher price, only to find it's all worthless. I bet they'd wish they had an idea what to look out for earlier.

1 minute ago, MickB said:

Well if it helps new collectors who are new to the forum be more wary then it's worth posting. There are sharks out there who hope they can get away with ripping people off and they probably hope no one mentions what they're doing.

Give it a few more years when silver goes higher and someone wants to sell their coins for the higher price, only to find it's all worthless. I bet they'd wish they had an idea what to look out for earlier.

I wonder how many collectors (who have been collecting a long time) have been ripped off, past and present, and are just to proud or embarrased to come out and tell their story like you have, I read parts of this forum over and over before joining and buying my first silver purchase and it helped me immensely and stopped me buying something wrong, I have bought many a wrong item of militaria especially when first collecting, even now I have been close to being fooled sometimes after 30 odd years of collecting, often I am looking for the harder to fake things that I can miss the obvious, always remember what man can make, man can fake.

I will never call anyone brave enough to come out and share their mistakes or bad experiences, we can all learn from them or at least get a refresher course.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I didn't really want to start a new one just for this. 

I had doubts about three of the ASEs I'd bough via eBay a while back. I had completely forgotten about them until I found them again recently. They looked right, had the right dimensions and weight. What I found doubtful about them was the ping test. They didn't seem quite right compared to other ASEs I was sure were genuine. Now, I'd never done a specific gravity test before, so thought I'd give it a go for the first time today.

I did the test on the three doubtful coins along with a coin that I was sure was genuine. Anyway, happy to report that the results for all the coins were close enough. 10.46 for the coin I knew was genuine, and 10.45, 10.41 and 10.49 for the coins I'd had doubts about. So, I'm pretty happy about that.

That just leaves me with a 1oz generic bar that I know is definitely fake. I bought it in my early staking days, about 10 years ago, and it was a bit too late to do anything about it when I discovered it was fake.

My view with eBay is that it can be a decent place to pick up stuff, as long as you are super careful. I still bid on the odd item, but only in the hope of getting a reasonable bargain. Stay away from the "too good to be true" kind of bargains.

I bought some scrap 14k gold jewelry once, when it arrived the actual gold plating was falling off the so called solid gold...I contacted ebay who told me to return it then I got a refund and was not allowed to leave feedback...so ebay helped a crook avoid even feedback warning other...accessory after the fact of wire fraud.

Archived