• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RM 2018 Paddington Bear 50p Spotted

creative

4 hours ago, kimchi said:

Interesting fact on the Intercity 125 - the passes (free or heavily discounted for the unemployed - I forget which) fuelled the rise of football hooliganism as fans could get to rival cities quickly and very cheaply. Even if they didn't all get into the game, groups would travel up and down the country to rob the local stores (clothes especially) and for a few pints and a punch up.

No mate , it was the coupons off persil washing powder , you could go anywhere for buy one get one free. Even into Europe .

I had Many a good day on those, we used to have quite a mob of about 40 of us all meet up in the pride of Paddington right outside the station to watch saint and greavsie before we went off to the game.?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, daz said:

No mate , it was the coupons off persil washing powder , you could go anywhere for buy one get one free. Even into Europe .

I had Many a good day on those, we used to have quite a mob of about 40 of us all meet up in the pride of Paddington right outside the station to watch saint and greavsie before we went off to the game.?

That was it, Persil washing powder coupons of all things!

Got the gold proof today - absolutely stunning in hand.

I'm not pumping these at all (and there are far, far more knowledgeable folk on here than me) but I'm absolutely astonished these have not sold out yet, despite the Mint's almighty cock-up with the mintage.

I don't have contacts in the US market but I do in Asia - if I turned on a few folk in HK and Japan alone onto these they would sell out in an instant. As for now I'm sitting tight and tight-lipped - it suits my strategy on this one :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Got the gold proof today - absolutely stunning in hand.

I'm not pumping these at all (and there are far, far more knowledgeable folk on here than me) but I'm absolutely astonished these have not sold out yet, despite the Mint's almighty cock-up with the mintage.

I don't have contacts in the US market but I do in Asia - if I turned on a few folk in HK and Japan alone onto these they would sell out in an instant. As for now I'm sitting tight and tight-lipped - it suits my strategy on this one :ph34r:

Any chance of a photo? Does it look as copper like as the pictures on the mint's website

56 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

Any chance of a photo? Does it look as copper like as the pictures on the mint's website

<edit> It's 'coppery' ofc, but far better than the RM's awful representation on their site imo - not as bad as that, and the coin is much, much nicer.

The Mint's 'photos' are terrible - I didn't like the design at all from the pre-release pics (the silver as well) but in hand both are stunning for me (though the mintage on the silver proof is fatal imvho). This one's future is probably up in the air (and at the price I certainly cannot recommend anyone to get it) but I'm happy to have one. I'll see if I can get a good pic with my old camera and bad light here :)

@Bullionaire sorry it's a terrible pic, but it's not the horrible copper on the RM website promos. Its coppery but not as bad as they made it look. Focus didn't work on this pic too well - Paddington really does come out proud compared to the background in hand. Also, there are quality issues with the Gold Proof presentation (scuff marks on the box etc) but I'm not too worried about those because I over ordered and am returning all but one or two:

Paddington - Copy.jpg

I'm shocked !!  Try this in the USA

Under 18 U.S. Code § 711

"Whoever, except as authorized under rules and regulations issued by the Secretary of Agriculture after consultation with the Association of State Foresters and the Advertising Council, knowingly and for profit manufactures, reproduces, or uses the character “Smokey Bear”, originated by the Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture, in cooperation with the Association of State Foresters and the Advertising Council for use in public information concerning the prevention of forest fires, or any facsimile thereof, or the name “Smokey Bear” shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

1 hour ago, JohnAnsink said:

I'm shocked !!  Try this in the USA

Under 18 U.S. Code § 711

"Whoever, except as authorized under rules and regulations issued by the Secretary of Agriculture after consultation with the Association of State Foresters and the Advertising Council, knowingly and for profit manufactures, reproduces, or uses the character “Smokey Bear”, originated by the Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture, in cooperation with the Association of State Foresters and the Advertising Council for use in public information concerning the prevention of forest fires, or any facsimile thereof, or the name “Smokey Bear” shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

Definitely too drunk to read that...

20 hours ago, terakris said:

I think i should get my gold one tomorrow.

I think you'll be very impressed (much more than my awful photo would lead you to expect)!

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to upload a decent photo here :)

Hearing more reports of damaged presentation boxes...poor show Royal Mint. They finally start sending proofs out in proper boxes rather than jiffy bags and now they get that simple QC aspect wrong :blink:

23 minutes ago, terakris said:

Yeah got mine, my photo ain't much better but is in the today I received post. Nice coin, sent straight to numi for grading  ;)

Great, will take a look, what do you think of it? Any problems with the box? I will take one or two to Heritage myself next week :)

24 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

What happened with the mintage of the gold coins?   I think I missed that.

Maybe it was Chinese Whispers to some extent on here but everyone I spoke to (including at the Mint before and after release!) thought the gold proof mintage was 600/650 and then when it released this 'presentation' is 600 but maximum mintage is 1250, which is a lot imo. Then the silver proof (at a whopping 60k 'presentation' already) came out listed under specs as unlimited mintage. A lot of folk backed off and pre-orders were cancelled.

I think this will do OK (just mvho!) but I understand why some folk are very cautious. The Mint really effed this one up imho because they are really lovely coins.

6 minutes ago, daz said:

I don't know why you seem surprised @kimchi the royal mint seem to play with mintage figures for every release they do , they have been pulling that "in this presentation"  rubbish for years .

I think I'm late to the game tbh mate, it's taken me a while to wise up to them. Luckily I did get clued up somewhat beforehand so I haven't had any problems with proofs, SotDs, Beasts etc since 2016 and haven't lost yet. I know they released original Peter Rabbit (silver proof) for more with the book - wouldn't have bought it myself, but that was still a reasonable overall mintage (imo). I steer clear of other stuff of theirs.

I just really think they have really, totally screwed this release - it was so well anticipated but the gold is too much (turned it into a 'ho hum, really not sure' rather than a 'must buy') and the silver proof is crazy shady (60k presentation but unlimited mintage!). It was so well anticipated and when they doubled mintage on release it took all the steam out of it.

I actually think it's going to be a sleeper perhaps because of the way they messed it up - but at those prices far too much of a risk for me.

My Mrs sold a couple of vintage bears for very good money a while back and There is a massive market for Paddington ( even before the film) so they might do well,  but it's not for me tbh.

16 hours ago, daz said:

My Mrs sold a couple of vintage bears for very good money a while back and There is a massive market for Paddington ( even before the film) so they might do well,  but it's not for me tbh.

Yes I think the added value (holding premium at least hopefully) will come from the subject like you say, and it's a lovely coin. The way it launched deterred the flippers I think and it's going to be a slower burn without the attached hype but it's a lovely coin indeed, very happy with mine :)

From the RM Facebook post:

It was great having Paddington here last week! We've finished counting his coins, between marmalade sandwiches. We are pleased to announce a final mintage of 75,000 Silver Proof coins: http://fal.cn/yWry

Still high, but better than unlimited. Shame that I have a +50,000 COA when I ordered about 3am because of the baby. Guessing the lower COA’s went out to distributors.

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

2 minutes ago, creative said:

It was great having Paddington here last week! We've finished counting his coins, between marmalade sandwiches. We are pleased to announce a final mintage of 75,000 Silver Proof coins: http://fal.cn/yWry

Hmmm, so very high (but not as high as those cheeky b'stards at the Mint hoped I reckon, also hope heads will roll over this). The next question is what the extra 25k will be presented in. Any prizes for a boxed set including a book for another seventy to a hundred quid? Limited edition only 25 000! Roll up, roll up!!!

(*****) :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, creative said:

Still high, but better than unlimited. Shame that I have a +50,000 COA when I ordered about 3am because of the baby. Guessing the lower COA’s went out to distributors.

That's very very naughty imo. I'd be onto the Mint demanding a new CoA myself. Limited edition presentation of 50k and  a CoA greater than that number? Do one! :angry:

25 minutes ago, kimchi said:

That's very very naughty imo. I'd be onto the Mint demanding a new CoA myself. Limited edition presentation of 50k and  a CoA greater than that number? Do one! :angry:

It’s not worth the hassle and the presentation is 60K

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

4 minutes ago, creative said:

It’s not worth the hassle and the presentation is 60K

Sorry you are absolutely correct my mistake.

I think it's a really lovely coin (terribly mistreated by the MInt) and this is one I'll definitely be looking to pick up at some stage :)

3 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Sorry you are absolutely correct my mistake.

I think it's a really lovely coin (terribly mistreated by the MInt) and this is one I'll definitely be looking to pick up at some stage :)

It’s a great coin. Shame I couldn’t afford it in gold, because that version looks gorgeous!

Archived