• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

End game / why stack / why collect

SilverFlame

• Why do people stack.

My story is a bit sad but I am happy to share.

It comes from my lowest moment in life, I was trying to learn a trade so I volunteered 4 days a week with the local council as a Plumbing Volunteer on a government "switch program" where you work for free and the business pays your college for your qualifications. I worked the remaining 3 days at Asda stacking shelves living alone in a 1 bedroom flat struggling to keep my head above water financially. I remember it being Wednesday 2 days before my Asda payday and I was on the bus home and I noticed I had ÂŁ5 in my back pocket and became overcome with glee as I realised I could treat myself!

I got myself Fish Chips peas and Gravy walked home looking forwards to a rare treat. I got into my flat hit the light switch and it didn't come on. This is when I suddenly realised that £5 was for electric. I remember eating it in the window using the streetlight to see what I was eating as I cried as a 27 year old man. I never felt so low and disappointed in my life and wondered if it was even worth all this effort I was putting in. It was in that moment I decided I would do something when I got my career to secure my future financially. 

Today I am a Gas engineer for Britain's biggest Gas industry. I will carry that moment with me forever.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone.  Why stack?  Primarily it's about preserving purchasing power but also limiting counter-party risk.  At 2% inflation per year, the dollar loses 50% of it's purchasing power in 35 years (recently read that in an article on Seeking Alpha).  I may be off a little, but since establishment of the Federal Reserve the dollar has lost 98% of it's purchasing power.  There's an infographic floating around showing many groceries a $20 gold piece and a $20 reserve note bought in 1920, as compared to how many groceries that same $20 gold piece and $20 bill can buy today.  Ridiculous!!!  I'd much prefer to have fun stacking (dollar-cost-averaging on the way down) and know I'm preserving my children's purchasing power in the future.  Of course, I also gain satisfaction owning physical wealth and not merely digital representations of wealth - something that will pay dividends (figuratively speaking) during the global sovereign debt crises we'll likely experience in our lifetime, imho.  

But that's all doom and gloom.  Stacking is a pure (.999) joy!     

21 hours ago, Mark10110 said:
  • Why do people stack.

My story is a bit sad but I am happy to share.

It comes from my lowest moment in life, I was trying to learn a trade so I volunteered 4 days a week with the local council as a Plumbing Volunteer on a government "switch program" where you work for free and the business pays your college for your qualifications. I worked the remaining 3 days at Asda stacking shelves living alone in a 1 bedroom flat struggling to keep my head above water financially. I remember it being Wednesday 2 days before my Asda payday and I was on the bus home and I noticed I had ÂŁ5 in my back pocket and became overcome with glee as I realised I could treat myself!

I got myself Fish Chips peas and Gravy walked home looking forwards to a rare treat. I got into my flat hit the light switch and it didn't come on. This is when I suddenly realised that £5 was for electric. I remember eating it in the window using the streetlight to see what I was eating as I cried as a 27 year old man. I never felt so low and disappointed in my life and wondered if it was even worth all this effort I was putting in. It was in that moment I decided I would do something when I got my career to secure my future financially. 

Today I am a Gas engineer for Britain's biggest Gas industry. I will carry that moment with me forever.

I'm sorry life was like that for you. What made you look at precious metals specifically? For me it was my boss saying now was a good time to buy and explaining what he does 

47 minutes ago, Blockhead said:

I'm sorry life was like that for you. What made you look at precious metals specifically? For me it was my boss saying now was a good time to buy and explaining what he does 

Its cool I don't want sympathy and people have it a lot worse than me, I was just trying to explain what was a trigger for me. I didn't just pick Silver I also went into Crypto but I had my ass kicked lately on Crypto, Silver is now my priority and I am also looking into buying some gold. I don't trust the banks and I don't want to leave any large money in my account because when I needed help the bank turned me down so its kinnda a middle finger to the establishment (no matter how small my gesture is, it makes me feel better). 

Silver & gold unlike crypto i can hold in my hands and admire it. If there was other things to invest in I would as long as they feel right with me.

Archived