• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Paul

Working for Nothing - Modern Day Slavery Act 2015 - Asda

Howdy, I have just had to leave the peaceful confines of home and venture into the real world

As with everything in life, there is no shortage of things to pee you off in a very short space of time

I find out last night, it is a very good neighbor of mine has his birthday today, so nip in the car and shoot to my little local Asda. x5 bottles of different craft ciders and a card - job done, what could possibly go wrong ?

I go inside, there are now x8 of those self-serve checkouts, I loathe and just one manned counter in front of the cigs. 

So I go to the only staff nearest to these machines, and ask "Can I pay for these please"

"You have to use the checkouts", I reply "I am at the checkout now, could you please do it"

NOPE - muggins here has got to.  So, not only am I putting coin in Asda pocket I now having to undertake unpaid work for the privilege. 

Well, stuff that, that is Asda on the blacklist to avoid now. 

Well, I'm now back home decided to pen them an email of complaint to get my cash I'm due  (see below)  I will let you know how I get on and see if I get my wages for today !

Please feel free to copy and use it yourself if it works

"Hi Asda

Just to make you aware of the minimum wage at work, sadly as you may like to have in an ideal world "I do not work for nothing"

I was told today by a surly member of your staff I HAVE to now scan my own shopping,

I have to undertake unpaid work. I refer you to "The Modern Day Slavery Act 2015"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/30/contents/enacted

namely

"Slavery, servitude and forced or labour

(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)the person holds another person in slavery or servitude and the circumstances are such that the person knows or ought to know that the other person is held in slavery or servitude, or

(b)the person requires another person to perform forced or compulsory labour and the circumstances are such that the person knows or ought to know that the other person is being required to perform forced or compulsory labour.

(2)In subsection (1) the references to holding a person in slavery or servitude or requiring a person to perform forced or compulsory labour are to be construed in accordance with Article 4 of the Human Rights Convention.

(3)In determining whether a person is being held in slavery or servitude or required to perform forced or compulsory labour, regard may be had to all the circumstances.

(4)For example, regard may be had—

(a)to any of the person’s personal circumstances (such as the person being a child, the person’s family relationships, and any mental or physical illness) which may make the person more vulnerable than other persons;

(b)to any work or services provided by the person, including work or services provided in circumstances which constitute exploitation within section 3(3) to (6).

(5)The consent of a person (whether an adult or a child) to any of the acts alleged to constitute holding the person in slavery or servitude, or requiring the person to perform forced or compulsory labour, does not preclude a determination that the person is being held in slavery or servitude, or required to perform forced or compulsory labour."

So, It took me a total of 4 minutes to scan my few items, ironically it would have been sooner had the errors the machine made, a staff member still had to put right!

So although I will take a wage cut in this instance, ( as I can see Asda dont like paying top dollar! )  to show fairness I am due to be compensated 4/60th of £7.83 for my forced labour today in your store, additionally, I would seek another 6/60th of £7.83 for the 6 minutes it has taken to find my sources and pen this complaint.

So 10/60th of an hour in total worked or 1/6th of an hour worked

1/6 of £7.83 = £1.305

£1.30 will be totally fine

I will forgo the .005p I am still due as I can see times are hard at WalMart HQ with your CEO C. Douglas McMillon only taking a salary of only $22,179,961 last year, those 0.005p sure do add up

Please send payment to the address above, for my work today, please send payment only as a cheque, not as Asda gift card/voucher as this the last time I will be using your store again.

Paul 

PS thanks also for rubbing our noses in it some more, on your receipt " Save Money, Live Better " lol I can you are very right !

Edited by Paul

i have just been to the shops - a different supermarket - not in the UK. i weighed out my own fruit and veg, bagged it and price labelled it. i used the self service checkout. i always do this. i actually prefer it. i could take pre-weighed but i pay more for this and i do not get to chose exactly what veg i want. i do not have to queue to self serve and scan my own goods. There are plenty of things to piss you off - there are plenty of things created and designed to create low vibrational energy for the controllers. That is how the game to coded to run. Today i cracked the Matrix. Big step forward.

Edited by sixgun

13 minutes ago, sixgun said:

there are plenty of things created and designed to create low vibrational energy for the controllers. That is how the game to coded to run. 

Think you are right, I am very suspicious of what the lightning is like supermarkets, I certainly seem to feel a little unsettled when I shop  

Keep us in the "work - buy - consume - die" matrix of control

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Think you are right, I am very suspicious of what the lightning is like supermarkets, I certainly seem to feel a little unsettled when I shop  

Keep us in the "work - buy - consume - die" matrix of control

i have been making what i think is a lot of progress recently. i have known for several years this is a virtual reality. Quantum physics has concluded this - there is consciousness - awareness and there is vibrational energy. That is it. That is the universe. i would have to write a lot to describe more that confirms this - even literature from ancient times but i have decided this really is the Matrix. They have found computer code in String theory. The universe is written in computer code.

We are being farmed - characters in a computer game. We are in a soul recycling game designed for characters to generate low frequency vibrational energy. These are all the negative emotions. Fear, pain, anger, hate, sadness, depression. The game is designed to make us compete and fight - to create losers, to create pain and loss. Our world makes us sick - the bad food advice, the bad food, the fluoride, the fructose corn syrup, trans fat junk. We can then get fat, depressed, distracted and stay stupid. Sick characters in the game die younger but that is ok for if they die miserable, sick and alone - that's more low frequency vibrational energy. We should be in constant conflict - even when shopping at Asda. We must also submit to ultimate authority - we will then submit and be recycled into another character when we die. Take a look at overwatch channel on youtube and trickedbythelight.com. It may be too big a step for you right now but for me almost everything has fallen into place since these pieces of the puzzle have been presented to me.

@Paul too bad.

I was told that in a shop the other day "you'll have too".  How wrong the member of staff was.

There is a crisis on the High Street.  There is a crisis in your Asda when the customer is not treated with respect.

It makes me mad when people are treated like this, someone will get it for this from Asda HQ, I am certain these are not standards they'd support.  Saying that there is a bit of a worrying trend with the self service element.  

Hope your neighbour enjoys the beer *4, I think you deserve the other one!

We have been digitised. I'm not entirely sure when this happened, but it hasn't always been so I don't think. That is a very dark imposed agenda imho that has flipped reality in my lifetime, so since the 70s. I'm not sure that's particularly important, actually. Until recently I just knew that I did not want to come back again (have my soul trick-recycled) and that I just wanted to go home. After a recent experience I am not so sure, I am re-energised and ready. It is boom or bust for the 'controllers' and I believe it's bust - the construct is now falling apart at the seams, just watch the sky for a few days. So, this time around, I expect I will either have no choice but to go home because everything will have collapsed back into a singularity, or I will have a choice to come back to a very, very different world. if I wish

I won't be tricked this time - I have learned almost enough and am prepared for what happens when the next stage comes. In fact I think I am here this time despite the mind-wipe because I had the balls to tell them 'bring it on!' and was actually looking forward to what's coming, because there's a very good chance we are going to see it first hand (2024 is looking likely). The curtain will be pulled back, the 'wizard' revealed, and Dorothy will leave Oz.

I've sent messages across time from the 90s (so I agree with others who say the shift was the late 80s), I often predict the future, I have visited Source in a trance, I perform magic - real magic.

It used to be analogue, but as this reality currently stands it's largely digital, and thus is actually quite easy to 'hack' after a few years' effort.

I'm at a crossroads though (there is always a cross). I can carry on doing what I'm doing within defined parameters in this digital dream, or I can go analogue and the potential is infinite. When I go home infinity is assured, so I am tempted to stay with the programme and continue 'playing' with it. I more or less have the tools I need to do that now, should I wish.

Colour, sound and vibration are all that is needed either way. The tricky bit is you need to be so very careful of each if you stay within the digital construct - they do not make it easy, although 'they' always have to provide a backdoor. It's a freewill choice, it has to be.

I won't be using Asda again by the sounds of it.

Any Nectar deals on at Sainsburys? :D

I have a similar rebellion going on for a long time with my bank. Down to one teller serving, on a good day there might be two. The rest of the extensive lobby is filled with atm's for withdrawals, lodgements, etc. When you enter and wait in the line for the human teller at least one staff member comes up to you, asks what your business is, and beckons you to follow them to one of the machines. I have always refused their invitation that they know what is best for us.

One day, after running the usual gauntlet of obstacles through the staff members trying to pull people away, i made it to the finish line - a human teller. I began "i would like to lodge this cash to my account and....." and i got no further past the "and" when the teller interrupted with "OH, well then", jumped out of her seat, walked away and reappeared in the lobby waving me to join her at one of the atm. I stood where i was, and waved her an invitation to return to her seat behind the window. She became exasperated, walked over and said let me show you how to make a lodgement, it's easy. I said i am sure it is but if she had waited just two seconds longer before leaping out of her seat, she would have heard me say i also wanted her to prepare a bankers draft for me. She made a grunt, returned and processed everything.

While she was doing it i asked her if this was bank policy now. She said something along the lines of improving efficiency and waiting times for customers. I said the two staff members prowling the lobby and pulling people off the line would go a long way toward fixing that if they got behind a window also. Also, that in future bear in mind anyone arriving at her window probably has good reason to be there, especially after making it through the hunger games her colleagues are running in the lobby. As i said goodbye, i just stopped and said to her, you know, some day in the not distant future it might occur to all of you that you are assisting your bosses in making every single one of you eventually redundant. Instead of going above and beyond to enforce the policy, just inform your bosses X number of people prefer to interact with a person. Help yourselves in saving your jobs.

@whitesands1 Thanks David,  don't worry my day is not spoiled, just a little annoyed and shows what contempt corporations have for their customers, their staff and there only concern at all is the bottom line £.    What they don't realise is for the saving a few quid in staffing costs, they just lose 100% of my custom

The guy who came to me to reset the screen from the error, I politely said 'these will see some of you out of a job' a grunt and a moan was all I got in return 

No reply from Asda as yet, I hope they have got the legal team onto it  

Business is quiet today, and I'm in a mischevious mood so might go searching LinkedIn for some people in positions of influence and seniority in Asda to give them something to do to justify their wage, might courtesy copy in some Daily Mail article writers hacks as they love a good storm in a teacup article 

You may be on to something here Paul, ASDA will either pay you or not, if they pay you they are admitting you are responsible for putting the items through the checkout, if they don't payout they leave it open for a defence that as long a a person puts the item across the scanner they are not responsible if it does not scan, because the person is not trained is doing unpaid voluntary work.  I watched  a very upset woman the other month being accused of stealing when it turned out she had only put items through incorrectly.  Tesco's then took the items off her though she was that upset she returned all her shopping which was quite funny because they don't take back uncooked meat they did that time when she started crying  and saying how she had never been so embarrassed in all of her life and she will never shop at Tesco ever again. 

8 minutes ago, swAgger said:

I have a similar rebellion going on for a long time with my bank. Down to one teller serving, on a good day there might be two. The rest of the extensive lobby is filled with atm's for withdrawals, lodgements, etc. When you enter and wait in the line for the human teller at least one staff member comes up to you, asks what your business is, and beckons you to follow them to one of the machines. I have always refused their invitation that they know what is best for us.

One day, after running the usual gauntlet of obstacles through the staff members trying to pull people away, i made it to the finish line - a human teller. I began "i would like to lodge this cash to my account and....." and i got no further past the "and" when the teller interrupted with "OH, well then", jumped out of her seat, walked away and reappeared in the lobby waving me to join her at one of the atm. I stood where i was, and waved her an invitation to return to her seat behind the window. She became exasperated, walked over and said let me show you how to make a lodgement, it's easy. I said i am sure it is but if she had waited just two seconds longer before leaping out of her seat, she would have heard me say i also wanted her to prepare a bankers draft for me. She made a grunt, returned and processed everything.

While she was doing it i asked her if this was bank policy now. She said something along the lines of improving efficiency and waiting times for customers. I said the two staff members prowling the lobby and pulling people off the line would go a long way toward fixing that if they got behind a window also. Also, that in future bear in mind anyone arriving at her window probably has good reason to be there, especially after making it through the hunger games her colleagues are running in the lobby. As i said goodbye, i just stopped and said to her, you know, some day in the not distant future it might occur to all of you that you are assisting your bosses in making every single one of you eventually redundant. Instead of going above and beyond to enforce the policy, just inform your bosses X number of people prefer to interact with a person. Help yourselves in saving your jobs.

This strategy is generally very good in increasing efficiency as there is no processing time for customers who don't return!

I struggle to see a way back from this, but there is a massive demand for personal service, just no appetite for the banks to provide it.

NatWest/ RBS have a massive policy on branch closure - not content with running their own business into the ground they are now devastating the rural economies who have supported them over the centuries.

HM Govt. went really easy on them (and other banks who are running down their branch network) but unless people start to switch to banks in big enough numbers to who are supporting their local economies they will continue to get away with it.

The next thing...…. there is a local PO van and the clerk was on his mobile 'phone serving customers.  When it was my turn he too waved at me to place my items on the scale.  A predictable response from me and a wave to him..... goodbye, but he was privileged that I did not make a complaint - I wouldn't want to loose him his job.

Sounds like angry men today but we do put up with this, don't we?

10 minutes ago, swAgger said:

I had this at the bank recently and insisted on dealing with a human being. I was ushered into an office by a very flustered lady but we had a laugh and a chat and she calmed down a bit from her (obviously) automaton, stress-filled day. She told me I could just use a machine next time and I explained that I like to deal with people and gave her just a hint at the way things are going, and that she'll be out of a job soon if it isn't for folk like me. We concluded with a warm smile after a nice chat.

I try to do this type of thing as often as I can.

The obvious plan is to make it so frustrating to have to wait for a machine and then struggle to get it to recognise you etc that folk will end up demanding microchips so they can just walk in, wave their hand over a machine and get what they want. Even better would be a brain chip so your transactions are synced (and monitored) wherever you are 24/7. How convenient!

19 minutes ago, swAgger said:

As i said goodbye, i just stopped and said to her, you know, some day in the not distant future it might occur to all of you that you are assisting your bosses in making every single one of you eventually redundant. Instead of going above and beyond to enforce the policy, just inform your bosses X number of people prefer to interact with a person. Help yourselves in saving your jobs.

Maybe some of these folks will finally get the message when they've been made redundant and the same bank they worked for and gave a 'preferential mortgage' (i.e set them up to steal it back) to them comes to repossess their home? I do everything I can to help these people even if they do not see it themselves.

Speaking of banking, notice how the next push is seriously culling and reducing the number of Link machines here in UK 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42872438

Of course, we will be it is "What The People" want "Everyone now Loves contactless and card"

Slowly the push for you HAVING to now start to use the card instead of cash

Tick Tock Tip Toe in we go to the cashless society 

Hey but what I but a bitter old conspiracy theorist and all of this is not preplanned from the start

Don't really get involved in these forum "debates". But Paul at what point were you forced to use the self-scanner? Couldn't you just have put them down and walked out,and then maybe went elsewhere,don't know your situation,but maybe you could have supported an independent establishment. As for the banking,fully agree. I live in a small town approx 8000. Used to have 4 banks,now have the grand total of 0.

@Paul we've already had trial runs round here (SE UK) with local cash machines going offline for days, then there is the national TSB 'no access' trials. We had the 'lettuce drought test' as well here, with folks fighting over the last packs of little gems in the supermarket. I've never been to the shops on Black Friday but it seemed that desperate and ugly atmosphere - over a ****ing lettuce!

I said five months or so ago there would be a shop where you don't need a checkout at all, you'll just walk out the shop and be scanned and charged for what's in your bag. Lo and behold about two months later Amazon opened exactly that.

'Social credit' is lined up next - you will have to be a 'good citizen' with enough 'points' and 'social responsibility' (through social media monitoring etc) to access supermarkets, transport etc. They already have it in China - you can't get tickets to travel if the State puts you on the blacklist. In Australia a few months back a guy was arrested I believe because he was planning a crime in his kitchen and his 'smart fridge' reported him.

And so many are walking into this eyes wide shut. My friend is really proud of his 'smart house' where everything is done via his mobile (garage opens and closes as he approaches and parks, front door opens for him, he can control the lights, etc). I asked him what he'd do if he lost his mobile or the network went down - he just looked at me in stunned silence.

9 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

1. But Paul at what point were you forced to use the self-scanner?

2. Couldn't you just have put them down and walked out,and then maybe went elsewhere

3. don't know your situation,but maybe you could have supported an independent establishment.

1. The self-serves were new there, The Asda dude saying do you HAVE to scan your own items was the surprise. The option now, is you have no option and no one will serve you. you are forced to serve yourself, it is only a mini weeny Asda not a full-blown superstore.

2. If it was not for the urgency of the birthday I didn't know about until last minute for I would have and will do if told in future

3.  I can and do support independents - Asda is the shortest place I could get to quickly. Don't worry I won't be returning after today, especially if I don't get my cheque for my labour :) 

31 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

I remember when my dad was horrified that he had to start filling his own car with petrol.

You make a point in one sense, but that was another job that existed 'back in the day' and I would bet everything that oil company profits didn't go down once that stopped, and in fact only went up.

Companies removing folk employed by them who help folk, increasing profits, all in the name of 'efficiency' when it's anything but efficient, and often leads to frustration for many.

You couldn't make it up if you tried - the ultimate cosmic joke (and if we don't stand against it that joke's on us).

Just how many more of these menial little jobs are going to be phased out in years to come with the advancement of robotic and AI in years to come

Bank removing teller staff, self-vacuuming robot vacuums, our main post office in the City Centre is now half self-service/drop off & cashless, even down the local Weatherspoons expect to have Tipsy the Bar Steward to serve in years to come 

Robots also don't have their mechinal fingers in the till stealing, dont get pregnant, have time off with bad backs, have pensions contributions to pay, have to leave work becuase their kid I sick, don't moan about their zero hours contract

and there was me thinking I would be living like the Jetsons in lap of luxury in my retirement

@sixgun i’m not sure if we live in a matrix or not. Just wondering. In your point of view what is the point in life? Just asking, always interested to here peoples opinion on this. I guess if we were to live in a simulated world there would really be no point to anything i suppose.

I always ask for a discount when directed to a self service till. I never get one so I queue in line for a staff member to serve me who gets paid for doing so. Look how TFL have gone when travelling around London. Ticket offices have shut and it's contactless when travelling on buses as well. No cash allowed so it means Big Brother knows where you are going. 

Three years ago I jumped on a bus at London Victoria to get across town and got some change out to pay. The driver said it was a cashless bus and let me off the fare as I told him I didn't realise this is how it is nowadays. I still offered him the cash but he pointed to a camera and said he's been watched all the time and couldn't risk his job in taking the fare.

Only way to get across London using cash is by taxi by the look of it.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Just how many more of these menial little jobs are going to be phased out in years to come with the advancement of robotic and AI in years to come

Bank removing teller staff, self-vacuuming robot vacuums, our main post office in the City Centre is now half self-service/drop off & cashless, even down the local Weatherspoons expect to have Tipsy the Bar Steward to serve in years to come 

Robots also don't have their mechinal fingers in the till stealing, dont get pregnant, have time off with bad backs, have pensions contributions to pay, have to leave work becuase their kid I sick, don't moan about their zero hours contract

I don't watch TV programming (just a bit of sport and the odd film of my choosing) but I do check the BBC News website most days, because it's oh so telling.

I guess you don't, so have missed the constant recent 'rights for robots' agenda on there?