• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Purchase scenarios for dealer price comparison article

Bimetallic

Hi all – What are some realistic purchase scenarios for a dealer price comparison article I'm writing? I don't have a good feel for the size of a typical silver order.

I have a small order as an ASE, Maple, Kangaroo, and Britannia.

Then a 10 oz RCM car.

Then a mint roll of 20 ASE.

Do these seem on the small end? I haven't looked at monster boxes or several rolls. What do you suggest as typical orders?

I'm really curious to see people's responses to this. I'm settling into a pattern of the hundred-ish per month ballpark, which works out at usually one order for 5 to 10 ounces plus a couple of curios bought separately. That said I suspect I'm on the lower end of the scale when it comes to stackers.

I don't think there's such a thing as a typical dealer order. Hopefully I'm wrong to some extent as that's not at all helpful (?)

Perhaps it'd be useful to set some parameters for a more focused analysis - ?

It all depends on what your monthly budget is to spend @Bimetallic

I see you are in USA, try to locate a local coin shop and it will save you in shipping costs

You will be able to see the things in the flesh, in your hand and give you an idea of what is what.  coin, bars, weights

Stackers choice staple product in America is the 1oz US eagle and minted by the millions each year

Use Apmex was your 'rough price' $ guide so you know what to pay

Happy Stacking !

Somewhere on here there is a thread complaining about Goldsilver.be which may give you some amusing quotes along the lines of "you think that's big do you?"

If you look on Backyard Bullion's thread about the April Group order you may find some youtube videos of unboxings which would give you some idea (no I don't mean the 12000 ounces one.)

16 hours ago, kimchi said:

I don't think there's such a thing as a typical dealer order. Hopefully I'm wrong to some extent as that's not at all helpful (?)

Perhaps it'd be useful to set some parameters for a more focused analysis - ?

Thanks, I don't quite follow your statement about setting parameters for a more focused analysis. For validity, I assume I need to look at several different purchase scenarios, like people buying an ounce each from each Commonwealth country (sans NZ) vs. people who buy rolls of 20 of a major gov mint. Within each scenario, I have to hold the items constant of course – that what defines the scenario.

I also have to account for shipping, which varies a lot. I'll have a graph in one case showing where the dealer with the lowest base prices (not counting shipping) overtakes the dealer with the lowest total prices for small orders (including shipping) – i.e. how much you have to buy to overcome the first dealer's shipping fee.

16 hours ago, Paul said:

Stackers choice staple product in America is the 1oz US eagle and minted by the millions each year

Happy Stacking !

FYI, APMEX turns out to be one of the more expensive dealers. There's no point buying from them in most cases. Their popularity is something of a mystery to me.

16 hours ago, Paul said:

It all depends on what your monthly budget is to spend @Bimetallic

I see you are in USA, try to locate a local coin shop and it will save you in shipping costs

You will be able to see the things in the flesh, in your hand and give you an idea of what is what.  coin, bars, weights

Happy Stacking !

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm unlucky when it comes to LCS. I live in Phoenix, Arizona and for some reason we don't have much LCS action here (hardly more than Tucson, a smaller city). There's some numismatic stuff and coin/stamp combo shops, but the straight bullion dealer I used to go to in Scottsdale is gone now – they were scamming some of their mail-order customers, I think, and might be under investigation: https://www.yelp.com/biz/liberty-metals-group-scottsdale

Archived