• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

THE 65TH ANN. OF THE CORONATION OF HM QUEEN 2018 STRUCK ON THE DAY FULL GOLD SOVEREIGN

fehk2001

2 hours ago, ChardLizzie said:

Probably, could be many months though.

Blimey you must offer good prices if you expect to see these! :wacko:

2 hours ago, ChardLizzie said:

It didn't take a rocket scientist (which I'm not) :)

It was a good bet indeed, but well called :)

I'm more of a (pickled) cabbage surgeon meself :blink:

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/05/2018 at 22:58, westminstrel said:

By the way, did the RM send out a brochure about these releases via physical mail? If so, I’d appreciate if someone could share pics. Thanks!

Just bumping this up as it got buried amid the frenzy of the sellout... anyone here have any information? :) 

A mint mark didn't feel special enough to me to be bothered about getting one
I think they will probably hold value, whether they will do much more than that we shall see
I believe the Mint Mark is the same as the 2018 Proof Sovereign.

The "biggie" on this for me is the Plain Edge which, to my knowledge has only ever been on 1 Brilliant Uncirculated coin before now.

50 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Thanks @augur! I appreciate that. Anyone springing for the kilo gold proof coin? ?

Kilo gold coins are overrated. Either my hands are big or their diameter is small but in hand they are not that impressive... wouldn't mind one though but wouldn't buy one either. 

6 hours ago, SovTracker said:

I believe the Mint Mark is the same as the 2018 Proof Sovereign.

The "biggie" on this for me is the Plain Edge which, to my knowledge has only ever been on 1 Brilliant Uncirculated coin before now.

I feel like the “plain edge” is going to be milked over the years; it will probably become an annual thing for some reason or the other, and it will cease to be something special.

It was awesome last year. It’s still interesting this year. We shall see next year :D

Is there anything of note worth a special plain edge sovereign next year ? I can’t think of anything off the top of my head. We have been spoilt for “special” occasions last year and this.

200th anniversary of birth of Queen Victoria ? I don’t think that is worth a special sov, but what I think doesn’t matter.

Th Queen’s 93rd birthday ? Ditto.

16 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Is there anything of note worth a special plain edge sovereign next year ? I can’t think of anything off the top of my head. We have been spoilt for “special” occasions last year and this.

200th anniversary of birth of Queen Victoria ? I don’t think that is worth a special sov, but what I think doesn’t matter.

Th Queen’s 93rd birthday ? Ditto.

Who can tell! But a couple come to mind...

1. Prince Louis’ 1st birthday.

2. Harry and Meghan’s firstborn.

Anything’s possible.

Yep, Louis is a candidate and every bloomin birthday for the brood after forever......will need to keep an eye on the Gazette for proclamations as the one I found removed the 1953 paragraph to include “reeded or plain edge” but whether that is just this year, 2018, or a forever amendment, I do not know.

7 hours ago, Oldun said:

Yep, Louis is a candidate and every bloomin birthday for the brood after forever......will need to keep an eye on the Gazette for proclamations as the one I found removed the 1953 paragraph to include “reeded or plain edge” but whether that is just this year, 2018, or a forever amendment, I do not know.

Was that from last year (before the Pistrucci SotD) or this? If before that and this one has come out too it seems like a permanent option.

5 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Anyone else had their order cancelled due to high demand?

The person I posted about who thought they'd bought 3 of the last 4 did. Obviously the system wasn't as up to date as I was told on the phone and/or unlike ticket sites allows you to check out (and even have order confirmed!) when stock's already gone.

16 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I wonder what will happen if someone gets one they think is sub-standard and wants to replace it?

You loose the coin if there's not enough of a percentage set aside for replacements and get a refund...

Do you think there are any set aside?  But presumably they would not be released if they weren't needed to replace any returns?  I am just wondering if RM might turn around later and say "we know you wanted one well here's one we just happen to have lying around"

I said it was too slow a sell out for the mintage and type etc...appears I was spot on.

Now my 12pm Tuesday order has been cancelled when there was supposedly stock I could have ordered on the phone at 4:30...gutted :(

3 hours ago, terakris said:

The order confirmations usually say they dont bill you until they have allocated stock, so perhaps thats a way to check if you are getting one or not?

The order confirmation emails say subject to availability...there can't be any availability until they've been minted and accounted for. So I expect more folk will get 'sorry...' emails over the next few hours/days saying 'tough luck', especially when folk with connections at the Mint contact their friends deciding they want one...

29 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Do you think there are any set aside?  But presumably they would not be released if they weren't needed to replace any returns?  I am just wondering if RM might turn around later and say "we know you wanted one well here's one we just happen to have lying around"

No idea on 'set aside'. I doubt it knowing the Mint - call me cynical but I've dealt with them enough times now I think. Any just found 'laying around' will be returns.

16 minutes ago, kimchi said:

The order confirmation emails say subject to availability...there can't be any availability until they've been minted and accounted for. So I expect more folk will get 'sorry...' emails over the next few hours/days saying 'tough luck', especially when folk with connections at the Mint contact their friends deciding they want one...

They do, but they also say "If your order contains any pre-order items, we will not charge your credit or debit card until we have allocated stock to your order." so surely you wont get billed until they have allocated you stock. just an idea.

16 hours ago, terakris said:

They do, but they also say "If your order contains any pre-order items, we will not charge your credit or debit card until we have allocated stock to your order." so surely you wont get billed until they have allocated you stock. just an idea.

Makes sense.

On 5/23/2018 at 13:33, augur said:

Kilo gold coins are overrated. Either my hands are big or their diameter is small but in hand they are not that impressive... wouldn't mind one though but wouldn't buy one either. 

Out of curiosity, I tried to find this kilo coin on the Royal Mint website, but it's not listed.  Do you think something like this would sell out, or do they just not have it on the website?  There are other kilo gold coins listed, but I would find it very surprising for it sell out so quickly.  It is a very low mintage, but I wouldn't have thought the demand would be there...

Archived