• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

THE 65TH ANN. OF THE CORONATION OF HM QUEEN 2018 STRUCK ON THE DAY FULL GOLD SOVEREIGN

fehk2001

8 minutes ago, Lr103 said:

Out of curiosity, I tried to find this kilo coin on the Royal Mint website, but it's not listed.  Do you think something like this would sell out, or do they just not have it on the website?  There are other kilo gold coins listed, but I would find it very surprising for it sell out so quickly.  It is a very low mintage, but I wouldn't have thought the demand would be there...

I believe you have to call in for those coins. Bad investment though, I doubt you will never recoup the premium and if you drop one... the one I handeled was for the Trial of Pyx, not a retail one.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, augur said:

I believe you have to call in for those coins. Bad investment though, I doubt you will never recoup the premium and if you drop one... the one I handeled was for the Trial of Pyx, not a retail one.

@Lr103and @augur - I’m pretty sure I saw it on the website that very first day these coins were released. I think it had the design of QEII in her carriage. It disappeared later that day (meaning the coin :D)

@augur - No way you did! That is so cool.

19 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

@Lr103and @augur - I’m pretty sure I saw it on the website that very first day these coins were released. I think it had the design of QEII in her carriage. It disappeared later that day (meaning the coin :D)

@augur - No way you did! That is so cool.

Thank you for letting me know!  If it did sell out so quickly, that's very impressive. However, I do completely agree with @augur....the buyer one of these coins must receive substantial non-economic benefit for the purchase to make sense. Like expensive artwork, but with a melt value ?

1 hour ago, Lr103 said:

Thank you for letting me know!  If it did sell out so quickly, that's very impressive. However, I do completely agree with @augur....the buyer one of these coins must receive substantial non-economic benefit for the purchase to make sense. Like expensive artwork, but with a melt value ?

Actually I take that back... I think what I saw was the 5 Oz gold proof coin which has the design of QEII in the carriage. That coin had disappeared for a while but now seems to be back on the page. Apologies for the confusion.

14 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Actually I take that back... I think what I saw was the 5 Oz gold proof coin which has the design of QEII in the carriage. That coin had disappeared for a while but now seems to be back on the page. Apologies for the confusion.

No worries, and thanks for clarifying. 

What are 'we' going to do with this coin once we have it in a little grubby mits? Keep it unopened, unopened and grade it, open it? Sell right away, for hopefully a nice little bit, keep for a few months or years? I ask because I have no idea and this is the first time I've been able to get in on a coin like this.

What are 'we' going to do with this coin once we have it in a little grubby mits? Keep it unopened, unopened and grade it, open it? Sell right away, for hopefully a nice little bit, keep for a few months or years? I ask because I have no idea and this is the first time I've been able to get in on a coin like this.

Whatever you do with it do not ever sell it for less than £500.... the only reason to lose money is if you choose to lose it through desperation)) also don’t be too greedy with price either.

It’s already an expensive coin with a large premium. The value in this coin will be maintained if you keep it in your collection long term.

9 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Whatever you do with it do not ever sell it for less than £500.... the only reason to lose money is if you choose to lose it through desperation)) also don’t be too greedy with price either.

It’s already an expensive coin with a large premium. The value in this coin will be maintained if you keep it in your collection long term.

Yes, very right. I would be very happy clearing £100, which I don't think is too bad at all. Even £75 would be nice.

36 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

Cutest post under this topic ?

2 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

Throw it in the bin OR I’ll private message you my address. Then I can throw it away for you :) 

4 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

Open, check very carefully you're happy with the quality. Grade it for possible added value if you're sure it's a good one, or perhaps watch the market as soon as they come out if you're happy to sell soonish, there might be good demand just after release. As Numi says, don't be greedy and never take less than you paid (so grading would raise your outlay). You may get more on ebay than on here.

I must say opinion is very divided on this one! For me it's a winner and a keeper (if I ever get one) for the anniversary but as others have pointed out the plain edge may become overdone and some will see it as far less special. Going to be interesting!

10 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

Who has had their order cancelled with the Mint for the Strike on the Day Plain Edge?

Me and another on this thread, and another chap I know :(

5 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

IMO it's a flip and reasonably quickly too; take advantage of the hype and people wanting to buy having missed the launch, probably grade first.

Long term? Put yourself in the position of others to come. Would you want this in your collection? I know I don't.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Just now, sovereignsteve said:

IMO it's a flip and reasonably quickly too; take advantage of the hype and people wanting to buy having missed the launch, probably grade first.

Long term? Put yourself in the position of others to come. Would you want this in your collection? I know I don't.

Grade first, would that not mean a quick turn around is not possible? Open carefully and film as I do it, an idea then flog asap?  

As, for collecting and the like, Queens Beasts and the 1oz silver Lunar II are my only ones.

2 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

Grade first, would that not mean a quick turn around is not possible? Open carefully and film as I do it, an idea then flog asap?  

As, for collecting and the like, Queens Beasts and the 1oz silver Lunar II are my only ones.

I would say take advantage if ebay prices are sky high initially but often it's not necessary to be very quick. In the first frenzy though it's the pf70's that make the big money.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

If you bought to definitely flip I think there will be two main frenzies on ebay - when they are first received, from those who missed the issue. Then when the first graded ones come in - 70s will be what everyone wants, as Steve says. You'll probably make more on a 70 than the raw coin but not guaranteed - like Numi says don't be greedy, and if you like the prices in the first round of sales OK you may miss a premium after grading but perhaps you'll be more than happy at what they go for initially (plus it's far less work)?

I think what @sovereignsteve means is if you're going to sell anyway do it sooner rather a year or two down the line - there is hype for these now but collectors may not be very interested in the future. I like this one but if there are similar releases this year and carrying on in future (especially repeating the 'trick' of the plain edge) I can see the appeal on this one diminishing - plus some collectors like Steve aren't interested to begin with.

58 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

Who has had their order cancelled with the Mint for the Strike on the Day Plain Edge?

I have - but I was probably one of the last to order; just before someone said there were only 4 left.

Just now, Seasider said:

I have - but I was probably one of the last to order; just before someone said there were only 4 left.

My order was midday and still got cancelled by the Mint when there was supposedly stock after 4pm :(

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

My order was midday and still got cancelled by the Mint when there was supposedly stock after 4pm :(

That makes me feel better.  Even if I had been more on the ball I still would not have got one.

My order was midday and still got cancelled by the Mint when there was supposedly stock after 4pm [emoji20]
Anyone who had an order cancelled online is due to the Mint allocation process.

Apparently the internet orders went way ahead of expectations.

Understandably the Mint put aside so many for orders by Post and Telephone and bottom of the pile are internet orders.

Apparently Dealers get Family and Friends to place extra orders on popular issues like this.

If you have had a Mailer from the Mint it might be worth sending it in. They are in a different category and "may"? not be sold out - who knows?

Good luck

To be fair, many of the Mints collectors are pre internet and rely on Mint contact either by post of phone.

So Numi does a YouTube video that goes viral amongst us techno Smartphone types and between us we buy the lot via Internet orders.

Is that fair on the loyal Mint customers of 25+ years who still buy either by post or phone?

We have to live in a society where the older generations get a look in - its only fair.

I'm 60+ but can use a Smartphone but still have a phone contact at the Mint.

If all the "deals" were done online, like ticket tour's, 65% would go there and be sold at a "premium" to us mortal collectors.

For me, I'm glad the Mint are a little behind the times!

41 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

To be fair, many of the Mints collectors are pre internet and rely on Mint contact either by post of phone.

So Numi does a YouTube video that goes viral amongst us techno Smartphone types and between us we buy the lot via Internet orders.

Is that fair on the loyal Mint customers of 25+ years who still buy either by post or phone?

We have to live in a society where the older generations get a look in - its only fair.

I'm 60+ but can use a Smartphone but still have a phone contact at the Mint.

If all the "deals" were done online, like ticket tour's, 65% would go there and be sold at a "premium" to us mortal collectors.

For me, I'm glad the Mint are a little behind the times!

I completely agree, and you make some great points - including that long-term post and phone customers should be given priority :)

I would much rather coins go to loyal customers who have been with them for years - that is only right :)

I just think the RM could at least be honest with people who are ordering online or by phone though. If it's sold out just say 'it's sold out (and have an internet order page that shows that, rather allowing stock to be oversold for half a day)'! That is not rocket surgery - it's just the RM being piss poor as usual!

[mention=3677]SovTracker[/mention] does that mean the more paper applications that come in in the next week or so the more internet orders they cancel?
I am not a Mint employee so can't be certain exactly how the process works but I would think that the Internet orders are allowed to come in "just in case" postal and phone orders don't materialise.

I think the problem is when there's a fast sell out. There is no system you can create that after just 36 hours can cater for the Royal Mail and the Mints telesales department where they cannot get hold of their loyal customers.

Sods law some will lose out in ALL areas of the Mints sales areas.

Archived