• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns. Time to get some gold

simon13

Time is the one thing that people overlook in life, whether you're a millionaire or doley watching jeremy kyle everyone is equal in time in their life

Looking around the web for x1 hour looking to save £1 on an item that there are not inherently rare, there are millions of them around the world.

Attached a value of your 'time' at say £10 per hour worked/researching.  That sovereign has actually cost you £10 more in lost time !

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

youre bang on the money there its just i cant collect in person, so have to factor all in price

Postage is fixed and can't be changed. What you want is a dealer offering at say 3% rather than 4% for a single sovereign. They can be found but are more likely to be local shops where you can negotiate.

Some guys on here do that and have built up relationships is with shops/dealers.

4% is achievable so it depends on whether they buy more in than they sell. Every dealer will vary. Some may sit on excess and hope for a rise. Others might sell on cheaper than usual for a quick turn around.

If you really do want cheap gold then go and ask. Nothing to lose (not that much anyway) but unless you're going to be buying regularly you have to work out whether your time and travel expenses are worth it for such small quantities.

dealers work on a spread for their profit,

on gold this can sometimes only be a matter of a couple of %

if you were coming looking to buy say x10 at once you have the room to manoeuvre & negotiate a little on price.  

on a single sovereign you dont IMO,

Myself personally I would not ask, it would only make me look like a penny pinching miser.

Any dealer/pawnbroker/shop you wish to build a lasting ongoing relationship with it is all about give & take. You become a regular, buy every few months, be polite, courteous, be engaging, let them know your collecting needs, leave your contact number/email my little ice breaker that has paid for itself many times over these past 4 years, have been taking them greggs coffee each time in town.  Lonely life in a coin shop! a £1 spent on a coffee for them has netted me early pandas and britannias a plenty & calls of new stock arrivals every week or two ;)

It is not all about absolute lowest £££ price believe me!!!

dealers work on a spread for their profit,

on gold this can sometimes only be a matter of a couple of %

if you were coming looking to buy say x10 at once you have the room to manoeuvre & negotiate a little on price.  

on a single sovereign you dont IMO,

Myself personally I would not ask, it would only make me look like a penny pinching miser.

Any dealer/pawnbroker/shop you wish to build a lasting ongoing relationship with it is all about give & take. You become a regular, buy every few months, be polite, courteous, be engaging, let them know your collecting needs, leave your contact number/email my little ice breaker that has paid for itself many times over these past 4 years, have been taking them greggs coffee each time in town.  Lonely life in a coin shop! a £1 spent on a coffee for them has netted me early pandas and britannias a plenty & calls of new stock arrivals every week or two ;)

It is not all about absolute lowest £££ price believe me!!!

. Here is a man who knows how it works , swings and roundabouts . If you look after your dealers and traders and not penny pinch deals, you come out on top. The whole libertad collector world is looking for 5 and 2 oz 2014 proofs , I'm already sorted from German dealers I have delt with over the years, and at good prices, does not hurt to apologise for an out of hours email, or wish someone a great weekend, in any language . And appreciate a good price when you get one

Time is the one thing that people overlook in life, whether you're a millionaire or doley watching jeremy kyle everyone is equal in time in their life

Looking around the web for x1 hour looking to save £1 on an item that there are not inherently rare, there are millions of them around the world.

Attached a value of your 'time' at say £10 per hour worked/researching.  That sovereign has actually cost you £10 more in lost time !

Perfectly stated - I just spent 3-4 hours waiting in A&E last night after midnight then another 4 hours in a hospital ward where I couldn't sleep then a bit ot time having something dealt with before getting home. About 10 hours gone due to medical semi-emergency. Believe Paul - time is everything and you cannot recover lost time.

Perfectly stated - I just spent 3-4 hours waiting in A&E last night after midnight then another 4 hours in a hospital ward where I couldn't sleep then a bit ot time having something dealt with before getting home. About 10 hours gone due to medical semi-emergency. Believe Paul - time is everything and you cannot recover lost time.

Hope everything is ok buddy.

Stacker since 2013

Some guys on here do that and have built up relationships is with shops/dealers.

4% is achievable so it depends on whether they buy more in than they sell. Every dealer will vary. Some may sit on excess and hope for a rise. Others might sell on cheaper than usual for a quick turn around.

If you really do want cheap gold then go and ask. Nothing to lose (not that much anyway) but unless you're going to be buying regularly you have to work out whether your time and travel expenses are worth it for such small quantities.

I have a local dealer where I can pick up sovs for about 4-5% over spot. But the good thing is that he doesn't differentiate with dates and he'll charge me the same for all sovs no matter what King/Queen, what year or what mint.

I have a local dealer where I can pick up sovs for about 4-5% over spot. But the good thing is that he doesn't differentiate with dates and he'll charge me the same for all sovs no matter what King/Queen, what year or what mint.

I know a dealer like this is Australia. He does like to grade his sovs though. But having said that, if you ask him for a pile of bullion grade coins they are all the same price. I was hoping to bring a load of Perth/Melbourne/Sydney minted ones back with me as I thought they would fetch a premium back here in the UK. But apparently they don't unless  - as with any sov - they are a limited or particularly desirable year.

I was quite excited by the idea until I did the research.

But, having said that - if anyone here does want a reasonable quality Australian mint sov, I know where you can get them at a very reasonable price! :)

From what I've seen ones with a unique design that year are doing well

1989, 2002, 2005, if you can pick up a few 2012 for cheapish they might start to command a premium in the coming years. 

Absolutely Kman The 1989, 2002, 2005, and 2012.

I think they will command big premiums in the future irrespective of gold price.

Also mentioned before if you can get a proof full sovereign for sub £200 you are doing very well.

• 3 weeks later...

Also mentioned before if you can get a proof full sovereign for sub £200 you are doing very well.

Ah good, just came to ask a similar question! A coin shop near me has a 1995 half proof sovereign in a box with a certificate, and a 1979 full sovereign proof but unboxed and no certificate. He wants £100 for the half and £200 for the full, are the proofs worth any more than regular when they don't have the accessories?

Ah good, just came to ask a similar question! A coin shop near me has a 1995 half proof sovereign in a box with a certificate, and a 1979 full sovereign proof but unboxed and no certificate. He wants £100 for the half and £200 for the full, are the proofs worth any more than regular when they don't have the accessories?

I would have to say generally yes, as a rule of thumb, (obviously depending on the price of gold) if you can get a proof sovereign for sub £200 you are doing very well indeed, as the price increases or drops then you will to adjust that price.

As for the full sovereign it could just be a a very clean coin so make an offer if you want it, as there is no proof it is a proof!!!

The 2002, 2005, 1989, and 2012 command higher prices also.

Good hunting.

Hope this helps.

I would have to say generally yes, as a rule of thumb, (obviously depending on the price of gold) if you can get a proof sovereign for sub £200 you are doing very well indeed, as the price increases or drops then you will to adjust that price.

As for the full sovereign it could just be a a very clean coin so make an offer if you want it, as there is no proof it is a proof!!!

The 2002, 2005, 1989, and 2012 command higher prices also.

Good hunting.

Hope this helps.

If you can find a sovereign for the dates between 1983-1999 then they will be proofs, as they did not make any bullion sovs during those years only proofs 

That pretty much sums up why I don't really like mine. Anything smaller must be really fiddly. 

I'm sorry that you feel that way about it Bob, but if we can please refrain from such personal issues on what is primarily a precious metals forum, that'd be appreciated.  Ta.

Once you've stuck a half sov in a coin holder, it's no less fiddly than handling a 1 oz coin put in a similar coin holder

a nice idea to switch your storage of all your gold coins into quadrum cases and they all look bigger than in your hand !

wether its a 1/50. 1/20 up to a full 1oz'er

Archived